RQ: strikers 1999 - Spike Arm

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Frank84

RQ: strikers 1999 - Spike Arm

Post by Frank84 »

I've always been fascinated by shooters and I'm currently making my first serious attempt at 1cc'ing a game: Strikers 1999 (beginning of stage 6 is my record atm - had to use all my bombs on stage 5 boss). I'm currently, with the help of save states, learning the 1-4 incarnations of the first 4 stages. I'm stuck at Spike Arm, the water stage boss. His first attack launches fast yellow shots that aren't too difficult to avoid, but my problem is with the smaller orange shots that come at me at the same time. I see no pattern and I'm unable to avoid them without a bomb. Each arm launches 3 bullets, that in themselves are fairly predictable, but they all blend together and appear completely random to me. I don't know how to proceed...
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

The orange is aimed IIRC.

You could always consult Alluro's little boss strat guide.

http://www.rf-emporium.net/s1999/stage2.htm
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Frank84

Post by Frank84 »

Thanks mate. I'll check that out.

Everything looks very straight forward in that clip. Practice practice practice I suppose.
Frank84

Post by Frank84 »

I just pulled it off for the first time. I realized that my mistake was to focus on the small orange bullets instead of correctly aligning myself to avoid the fast yellow shots.

Thanks for the pointers.
landshark

Post by landshark »

3 videos for ya -

Alluro's boss video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKHZRdG5 ... ed&search=

And 1st loop clears with 2 lesser played ships (each of these is the 1st 1/2 - there should be a link to the 2nd half on the right side)
F-117 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MijUPWbZnuM
AV-8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoXLeXjulBo

When Spiked Arm is about to do his last radial spray before showing the orb, there is a safe spot if you sit all the way at the top of the screen centered on him. It's easier to get to with the faster ships (you must have all the arms destroyed by then).

If you encounter him on loop 2, make damned sure you destroy his arms - they will constantly spray bullets until they are gone.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Frank84

Post by Frank84 »

If you encounter him on loop 2, make damned sure you destroy his arms - they will constantly spray bullets until they are gone.
Please don't mention loop 2 ;)

I got physically ill after watching a video of it.
Mills

Post by Mills »

I guess no one is ready to upload a 2nd loop replay on youtube yet or indeed a decent replay of Strikers 1945-2. i only wanna see one stage of Strikers1999 2nd loop to see how insane at looks.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Mills wrote:I guess no one is ready to upload a 2nd loop replay on youtube yet or indeed a decent replay of Strikers 1945-2. i only wanna see one stage of Strikers1999 2nd loop to see how insane at looks.
I think I can post up to 2-4 if you want. The problem is my 2nd loop play is terrible. It's not so much the stages that are difficult as it is the bosses (though the tank stage is quite difficult).
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

I start to panicbomb everything starting 1-4 in all the Strikers >_>
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Ok - I recorded a run up to the 2-5 boss yesterday (first time to 2-5!!)

I'm having issues re-encoding it for youtube. It'll be up sometime this week. It's a 1,698,900 point run, no miss to 2-3. The last 2 deaths are pathetic too. I easily should have made it to 2-6.
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Am I the only one that feel Psikyo got a little lazy with the later levels of the 2nd round in S1999? Most of the patterns are pretty much the same.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Frank84

Post by Frank84 »

Small update: I now get to the 1-5 boss consistently, practicing him makes me both excited and scared :)
Frank84

Post by Frank84 »

I'm not playing as much as before but I'm still improving. I find it interesting that a weeks break made me a better player.

I'm up to 1-7.