RQ: R-Type Final Stage 5 boss.

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Damocles

RQ: R-Type Final Stage 5 boss.

Post by Damocles »

I beat this boss once, on a fluke, but have not been able to take it down since. Anyone have any suggestions?
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

If you clarify the boss I might remember.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Big metallic eggshell in space.
(the Speed = Warping Stage boss "Fine Motion")

I'm not sure I can describe how to beat this boss without fighting it again. Sorry, Damocles.

I do remember needing to adjust the speed depending on the attack. In particular, there is a pattern where Fine Motion will shoot out about 6 lasers, then reconfigure its reflecting plates to focus the lasers on you. Line up with the core's horizonal axis, speed 1, and move a little left of center of the screen. If done right, the lasers will envelop but just miss you. Then they reflect back and I forget :(

Full disclosure: I sold my copy of R-Type Final to Damocles.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Yea, all I remembeer of that one is flicking to lower gears for the dense lasers and adjusting accordingly. I think theres a magnetic field atack where you have to go up some. Gears? lol
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

It's all rather odd...I can blow off the first spike easily, but for the life of me I can't finish him off. Hell, I've even tried firing my force into the pod before the wings close...no dice.
destructor

Post by destructor »

Watch MARP replays.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

A good hunch, but MARP covers arcade games. R-Type Final is a Playstation 2 exclusive.

The one play I know of on Youtube uses one of the bonus ships in the game that can kill Fine Motion in one shot.
destructor

Post by destructor »

Hahaha, sory I didn't notice "final" word ;)
Gorecki

Post by Gorecki »

I too have only beaten this thing once, so this probably wont be too helpful, or even correct!

I'm sure you can avoid the first wave of lasers completely by sitting far left centre at speed 1. Then I think I moved slightly above and to the left of the core (to the right of the top plate), speed 2, where to be honest I got a few lucky dodges in, but it seems safer than elsewhere.

The attack where the two reflecting plates move back and forth firing lasers straight up/down seemed curiously simple, I think I just sat back in the far left, almost a safe spot.

The magnetic attacks are what catch me out. I'm normally in such a low speed that they catch me off guard and I can't escape the pull.

I have to say as well, as evil as this boss is, it's got to be a favourite of mine.
Last Guardian

Post by Last Guardian »

Release charge shot when it opens up and try to stay close to the first knob firing away. I keep ship speed at 3 throughout the boss battle.

When two force fields open up at the back stay halfway under the middle of the knob pressing your force into the lower half and charching or blasting away.

When it starts filling the screen with yellow lasers start at the back and after 2/3 waves move a couple of inches to the middle of the screen and another 1/2 waves later closely towards the knob again.

The other attack pattern where it closes and sends its clams firing a few lasers is simply dodging and charging.
Airspace under control get back 100 %