ps3 region encoding question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mirkvid

ps3 region encoding question

Post by mirkvid »

has anyone tried playing JP ps2 games on a US ps3? my ps2 is getting lazy and i'm trying to decied if i wanna get a 3 or buy a new jp ps2.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Unless I'm totally mistaken, PS3 is region-free for PS3 games only. PS1 and PS2 games require a PS3 of their own region to play.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

damn. i've allready got 3 ps1's a ps2 and a psp. how much more money do they want from me!?

i'll probably just get one of those sleek white JP ps2's and a cheap US one too. it'll still be cheaper than a ps3.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For mirkvid,

Tried to boot up a Japanese PS2 game on a USA Bios region PS3 console -- says to load up PS2 game. So no can do with Japanese game imports on such a USA PS3 console unless the hackers have come up with a bypass to unlock regional restriction of PS1 & PS2 games... ^_~

You're best bet would to get a true Japanese Bios region PS2 console to play your Japanese PSX & PS2 imports without a hitch..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Never_Scurred

Post by Never_Scurred »

...also consider that even if said hack comes, all it takes is a Sony update to put you back to region locked. This generation is gonna be interesting.
"It's a joke how the Xbox platform has caught shit for years for only having shooters, but now it's taken on an entirely different meaning."-somebody on NeoGAF
Watch me make Ketsui my bitch.
PC Engine Fan X!

What the USA PS3 console CAN play games & movies-wise...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Never_Scurred wrote:...also consider that even if said hack comes, all it takes is a Sony update to put you back to region locked. This generation is gonna be interesting.
And here's a listing as what the USA Bios region PS3 console CAN do courtesy of NCSX: http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/CECH-A01.html

The USA PS3 console can play Japanese import PS3 games in addition to playing Region 2 (Japan) Blu-Ray movie discs as well. Plus the USA PS3 console has internal automatic voltage switching PSU from 100v-240v for use worldwide with appropiate A/C outlet plug interface. So no need for step-up or step-down transformers with such JPN/USA PS3 consoles..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Atamosk

Post by Atamosk »

Ghegs wrote:Unless I'm totally mistaken, PS3 is region-free for PS3 games only. PS1 and PS2 games require a PS3 of their own region to play.
Publishers of PS3 games now have a choise wether to region lock theyr games or not.
Where it was previously manditory you may now come across the ocasional non-region-locked title

However do keep in mind that since this gives little to no advantages for the publishers that little will change for the bigger companys.

The region codes are used to determine sales and popularity across diverent regions to assist planning of future releases.