FINALLY beat Metroid NES under 2 hours.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Dylan1CC

FINALLY beat Metroid NES under 2 hours.

Post by Dylan1CC »

I can safely say I now almost like the NES game better than Super Metroid, talk about an 8-bit masterpiece. The last time I beat it was on my now dead NES system about one week before Prime was released back in Nov 02 (nice way to kick it off) Well, that was the first time I'd beat it (frantically writing down passwords each time I died after making any progress) Never really played the NES freeby on Prime, just didn't have any time between other games. So after getting around to beating Zero Mission and unlocking the NES rev, I found out that if you beat under two hours, not only do you get the suitless ending (obviously) but you get to play as Samus without her suit which I never knew before.

So after 2 weeks using an old '91 issue of Nintendo power with a fully detailed map spread, and perfecting my zebetite dodging skills (man do I hate those things, those cannons are so stinkin' annoying), I finally beat it under 2 hours about 15 minutes ago. Now I've got my suitless Samus file saved and I feel like playing the game all over.

The programmers who made this game under Yokoi cannot get enough praise for their work. Hip Tanaka's amazing and beautifully eerie soundtrack is still aural perfection. That reminds me, anyone have any links to any Hip Tanaka interviews? I remember one which was really interesting where he described how he had to individually program each note of the game's music and wanted to convey "The feeling you were encountering a strange life form for the first time." I'd say he pulled that off with flying colors. Would have been really interesting if he had programmed music for Super or Prime.

EDIT: It'd also be neat if anyone knows of any interviews online with the game's programmers. It'd be nice to hear them admit they love the movie Alien. ;)
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Two words: Justin Bailey. That was the name you could put into the NES version to get the suitless Samus. Nice work by the way. I've never cleared the NES version myself.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

8 1/2 wrote:Two words: Justin Bailey. That was the name you could put into the NES version to get the suitless Samus. Nice work by the way. I've never cleared the NES version myself.
Ah, I thought entering Mr. Bailey's code just got you full missles, energy ect.

It was plenty tough, last night while playing the game on my DS as a friend drove me home, I felt like throwing my DS out the window out of frustration after the Mother Brain's security Zebetite things killed me for the bazillionth time. And I'm a guy who despises people who throw/break their controllers in anger. :P

I finally figured out how to carefully step back and forth through the opening across from her tank while pumping missles into her then running from the rings, hitting her from inside the room, jumping back into the opening to fire more missles, ect. Talk about white knuckle and unforgiving old school death. I also made sure to backtrack after breaking three zebetitie columns to get more energy and missles from the Metroids in the previous room, the only way I was able to make the final attack run work.

One thing that makes the game tougher is even though there are at least 7 energy tanks, you are only allowed to have 6 even if you collect a 7th one. Gah!
Zach Keene

Re: FINALLY beat Metroid NES under 2 hours.

Post by Zach Keene »

Dylan1CC wrote:Now I've got my suitless Samus file saved and I feel like playing the game all over.
And if you lose that password, just remember the 20/20 code:

000000 000020
000000 000020

It starts you as suitless Samus on an otherwise fresh game.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Dylan1CC wrote:
8 1/2 wrote:Two words: Justin Bailey. That was the name you could put into the NES version to get the suitless Samus. Nice work by the way. I've never cleared the NES version myself.
Ah, I thought entering Mr. Bailey's code just got you full missles, energy ect.
Justin Bailey is a complete fluke. It happens to be a pretty useful fluke since you start with a wave beam, lots of life and a ton of missiles (more missiles than are flagged as actually collected, even; that's why you'll lose a ton if you pick up a missile refill.) Add suitless Samus on top of that and you've got a recipe for stupid rumors about what "just in bailey" actually means. :roll:

It also sets your game time to some random but high number so you're guaranteed the worst ending if you actually use it to beat the game. EDIT: well, it's the same number every time so it's not really random but you know what I meant.

There is an intentionally programmed cheat password, but with all the attention the Bailey code got it went undiscovered for years. Just put in NARPAS SWORD and leave the rest of the slots blank; you'll be invincible and have infinite missiles.

SHUVIT UPYOUR SMELLY ASSAIL is still my favourite fluke code. :D
Dylan1CC wrote:One thing that makes the game tougher is even though there are at least 7 energy tanks, you are only allowed to have 6 even if you collect a 7th one. Gah!
I usually leave the one in the ceiling near the beginning of the game uncollected; it makes for a quick refill if I use a password to pick up a "only Tourian remaining" game.
Last edited by Zach Keene on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dylan1CC wrote:Hip Tanaka's amazing and beautifully eerie soundtrack is still aural perfection.
If you haven't seen it before, check out http://www.metroidmetal.com/ for a complete metal remix of the soundtrack. Even if you're not a fan of heavy music, the covers are really well done.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Wow, never knew about the "NAPAS SWORD" code. Thanks, Zach. Interesting info. Many years ago when I was a kid I used to think maybe Justin Bailey was some Nintendo Power reader/"power player" they put into the password system to honor. haha
landshark

Post by landshark »

I was trying to beat the one on the GBA (after beating zero). But I could not beat Kraid without my NES Advantage ;)
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

KOSH, how could you not know what the justinbaily code really was after all these years? You crazy man.

You didn't miss much though, her hair's all green and stuff.

I'll be honest and admit that while I hold great respect for the series, I don't think the games are all that fun...if that makes sense to any of you.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Kevin wrote:
Dylan1CC wrote:Hip Tanaka's amazing and beautifully eerie soundtrack is still aural perfection.
If you haven't seen it before, check out http://www.metroidmetal.com/ for a complete metal remix of the soundtrack. Even if you're not a fan of heavy music, the covers are really well done.
Oh sweet, I missed your reply. I am listening to their cover of the opening theme and love it so far.

Ever hear of "the Mini Bosses"? They are a group (?) which has done awesome rock remixes of Metroid, SMB, Zelda, and their best work IMHO is their complete cover of the entire Mega Man 2 soundtrack in one continuous track. My brother discovered them last year, I really need to have him burn me a CD with their stuff on it.
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

I saw the Mini Bosses a coupla years ago on Tech-TV, way befor the merger with them and G4. Yeah, they're a bunch of guys and hardcore into the NES; they make some sweet music. I haven't kept up with them so I don't know if they're still doing gigs and whatnot.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dylan1CC wrote:Ever hear of "the Mini Bosses"? They are a group (?) which has done awesome rock remixes of Metroid, SMB, Zelda, and their best work IMHO is their complete cover of the entire Mega Man 2 soundtrack in one continuous track. My brother discovered them last year, I really need to have him burn me a CD with their stuff on it.
I own their EP, live CD, and will pick up their new split sometime in the near future. Good stuff.. Can't wait for the upcoming full length.

I made a few posts on the old forum about various video game cover bands, but since they're gone now, here's some more stuff if you're interested.

Dwelling of Duels is a monthly videogame cover competition organized and judged by some Minibosses forum members. You can find past entries here. February was scrolling shooters, though it doesn't seem to be uploaded to the archive yet, but you may still be able to grab them here. Thunderforce 3, Gradius, and Raiden covers took the top places, and there's a great Ikaruga cover in there too. There is some good stuff in the January Metroid competition.. First place was a 20+ minute full Super Metroid cover.

Motherbrain! have done some great acoustic covers, including some Metroid. They're not terribly well known, but I like the sound of NES songs performed by an acoustic trio.

The Advantage, formally known as Generic, have been around longer than most, and have done some of my favorite stuff.

The NESkimos have covered a little bit of everything from the nes era, mostly heavy/hard rock stuff.

Live House S.S.H. has done a huge batch of techno/metal songs ranging from NES to modern day, including Mega Man, Castlevania (Travel Demon is amazing), Final Fantasy, Contra: SS, and even some Thunderforce and Gradius. Might need a translator to find specific songs, but everything there is worth a listen.

Anyways, that's probably more than enough to keep anyone busy for a while, but it's a good sampling of VG covers if you're into that sort of thing. I know a ton more if people are interested.

Edit: Actually, here's a pretty good list of stuff for someone with an evening to kill.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Wow, thanks Kevin. A lot of good stuff there I need to dig into. :)

Also, I just listened to the MteroidMetal cover of Kraid's hideout...flat out amazing guitar work there. :shock: Will be putting that track on my PSP for sure. I also hope they release their T-shirts soon. I want one bad.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I still have to put Super Metroid at the top of my list for the absolute best game soundtrack ever. I wish that Nintendo would come up with a straight-up port of that one to the GBA or DS. Unfortunately, I get the distinct impression it would end up fooled around with.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Dylan1CC wrote:an 8-bit masterpiece
I also just happened to play my way through NES Metroid (via Nintendo DS) a couple of weeks ago, and I agree with the above statements.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Thunder Force wrote:
Dylan1CC wrote:an 8-bit masterpiece
I also just happened to play my way through NES Metroid (via Nintendo DS) a couple of weeks ago, and I agree with the above statements.

Great minds think alike. 8)

BTW, TF. Did you just buy the NES Metroid GBA cart or did you unlock it in Zero Mission like me? (which is far smarter and more bang for your buck obviously)
Vexorg wrote:I still have to put Super Metroid at the top of my list for the absolute best game soundtrack ever. I wish that Nintendo would come up with a straight-up port of that one to the GBA or DS. Unfortunately, I get the distinct impression it would end up fooled around with.
I agree. Super Metroid's moody music is still astounding. My fave soundtrack too as good as the NES Metroid soundtrack is, maybe not fair considering how much more power the SNES sound chip has but SM's music just has so many more layers put into it. My brother remarked that SNES games just have an amazing muted yet powerful analog stereo sound which no other system can create.
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Dylan1CC wrote:BTW, TF. Did you just buy the NES Metroid GBA cart or did you unlock it in Zero Mission like me? (which is far smarter and more bang for your buck obviously)
Ahh, actually I picked up a used Zero Mission cart hoping the NES version was already unlocked (and it was). I didn't see the NES Classics version selling in the local shop so this worked out well.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Thunder Force wrote:
Dylan1CC wrote:BTW, TF. Did you just buy the NES Metroid GBA cart or did you unlock it in Zero Mission like me? (which is far smarter and more bang for your buck obviously)
Ahh, actually I picked up a used Zero Mission cart hoping the NES version was already unlocked (and it was). I didn't see the NES Classics version selling in the local shop so this worked out well.
That is a convenient find, indeed. 8)
Neon

Post by Neon »

And I'm a guy who despises people who throw/break their controllers in anger. Razz
Someday I'll post a picture of what's left of my old Saturn pad...currently my dresser drawer is getting some dings from being smacked angrily with a Hori Real Arcade Pro.

Kosh, you should make a replay (inp file type thing) and distribute it...well it's probably been done a million times already, but we can say we know the guy :)
LASERBEAST

Post by LASERBEAST »

Hip Tanaka's amazing and beautifully eerie soundtrack is still aural perfection.
I agree completely. The Metroid soundtrack is still one of my favorite OST's of all time. The music is one of the main driving forces of the games energy: at first, it starts off catchy and upbeat, but the further in to Zebes you go, the more warped and twisted the bewitching melodies become. Once you've arrived at Tourian, the music becomes a twisted sine wave of computer bleeps and white noise. It's overwhelming. The music of upper Norfair especially gets to me... it's one of the most comfortably lonely songs ever written. All I can think about is getting lost.

I wish I could find those interviews too, but what you've heard is true: the entire OST was programmed in assembly instead of composed by conventional means, hence it sounds the way it does.[/quote]
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

While we're on the subject of video game remixes, I love this one:
http://www.vgmix.com/song_view.php?song_id=1828

Bonus link! Movie of Metroid beaten in 12 minutes, with only one item (Morph Ball):
http://bisqwit.iki.fi/nesvideos/movies.cgi?id=237
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Thunder Force wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up a used Zero Mission today and found the original Metroid unlocked there too.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0