Has anyone tried these multigame boards?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dpful

Has anyone tried these multigame boards?

Post by dpful »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Multicade-Horizonta ... dZViewItem

I see these all the time, has anyone tried one? Are they easy to update or change setting like mame on my own computer? Is the emulation good? I've played multigames in arcades that were horrible- don't know what kind they were, though-- multicade I think.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Aren't these completely illegal?

<rhetorical question>
dpful

Post by dpful »

My attitude for buying one would be mostly for convenience, although there are some games on there that I'd like but don't already have. If they were good emulations, perhaps I wouldn't buy the PCB's.
So yeah, illegal.

But really for convenience and novelty.
Anyone tried one?
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

I haven't, but it's basically a small MAME PC with jamma harness. The roms are on a hdd.
antron

Post by antron »

from their webpage:
Q: Are your PCBs using MAME?
A: No. Our PCBs are commercially built hardware for the arcade industry and not cheap consumer PC components running MAME.
imagine how much R&D it would take to emulate 1000 games. I bet they took the mame source and just added a universal coin system. I hope they get sued. nice product.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

antron wrote:from their webpage:
Q: Are your PCBs using MAME?
A: No. Our PCBs are commercially built hardware for the arcade industry and not cheap consumer PC components running MAME.
imagine how much R&D it would take to emulate 1000 games. I bet they took the mame source and just added a universal coin system. I hope they get sued. nice product.
Yeah, how can they even legally sell that on ebay?

I mean, I'm not uptight about piracy, but at least have the dignity to build your own mame system if you're going to do it :)
I got mad gigabytes.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

everyones selling them (usually for much cheaper too), even reputable places like fujita altho you have to ask them first since they dont have it on their website.

never used one and never will so i cant tell you anything else about them, but i guess the average emu-joe that just wants a cheap bang for their bucks are generally pretty happy with them.
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
PC Engine Fan X!

Is known as the Gamebox Jamma PCB in some circles

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For dpful,

I've got one of those multicade Jamma PCBs (is known by another name, "Gamebox"). Anyways, the Gamebox PCB is nothing more than a single layered PC-type motherboard connected to the top layer (which is the built-in Jamma interface and generic I-PAC interface).
As Ceph has correctly stated that the ROMs are stored on the HDD. The built-in HDD on my Gamebox PCB is a measly 17.3GB one but is alright for what it does...to play arcade emulation. Actually, it's possible to add or remove arcade Roms from the HDD but you'd have to hook it up to a secondary PC tower to properly configure them.

The Gamebox PCB uses pure DOS-based Windows 98SE OS as the basis for running the DOS-Mame emulator along with front-end DOS program of ArcadeOS to select the different games from a menu screen.

What's really odd is that the Gamebox PCB (and it's other ilk) uses a seperate ATX power supply unit to power it up rather than using your arcade cabinet or Supergun's PSU. Two cooling fans, one on the ATX PSU & the other's on the CPU itself. So when the Gamebox PCB is powered on, there are two cooling fans in operation for the entire duration -- can get noisy indeed. ^_~

Both the joystick and push button functionality are handled by the ZsNES utility program to register the arcade cab's or Supergun's arcade control inputs to register as "pushed" PC keyboard commands. Several various utility programs are included on the built-in HDD to make sure that everything runs without a hitch.

You can even insert a PS/2 based "old styled" PC keyboard directly into the Gamebox PCB to change game settings, arcade screen parameters, etc. (for easy of convienance).

Some older 15kHz analog RGB monitors might have a hard time displaying the outputted graphics from such a Gamebox PCB and other RGB monitors, have no problems whatsoever. Just depends on what RGB monitor you're using in the first place.

----------------------------------

If you really want to make your own budget Mame emu system -- just get the following items:

1.) An old salvageble PC tower with decent CPU and RAM specs if you want to run DOS-Mame, Raine, Mame32, etc.

2.) Install the appropiate Win OS system -- Windows 98SE for DOS-Mame emu or WinXP OS for Mame32 emu...you get the general idea. ^_~

3.) An Ultimarc produced ArcadeVGA graphics card installed and configured properly in your old budget Mame tower.

4.) An Ultimarc produced Jamma interface "J-PAC" board to hook to an arcade cabinet or Supergun setup utilizing the Jamma harness.

5.) Load up on the HDD with your favorite arcade Roms.

6.) You're all set -- fire it up and try it out..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dpful

Post by dpful »

Thanks,
sounds like a cool machine. Regular mame stuff with the usual settings and and stuff? Not so hip on the fan noise. I guess the coolest thing would just be to make my own.

.....I sure do dig my PSP.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Vokatse wrote:Speaking of self-made MAME machines...this guy is selling some sort. IDK if they are good, but they look pretty standard

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-TV-Home-Arca ... dZViewItem
Interesting sticks...kinda look like those Salubi thingamajigs...

I thought they were interesting sticks...if you could yank out the stock stick and strip off the "Salubi" text on the top...