Dreamcast VGA monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Reluctant Hero

Dreamcast VGA monitor

Post by Reluctant Hero »

Hey gusys, I'm just looking for some advice on purchasing a decent LCD monitor to use a Dreamcast with VGA on. I tried searching the forums and came up short in the sea of topics the search engine pulled.

I'm looking for a 17 inch LCD with VGA and DVI and it has to rotate counter-clockwise (for shumps :D ). I'm looking to spend between $100 and $150. I found a nice one here but it is out of price range.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

Go get a CRT at a garage sale for pennies :)

But, on topic, I can't help you much. :P
I got mad gigabytes.
Reluctant Hero

Post by Reluctant Hero »

Yeah, I was thinking about a CRT too. Hella cheap. But they're just so damn big...
D

Post by D »

640X480 on pc tft's suck.
It's probably in the middle of 480i and 480p in terms of sharpness.
But it looks way blurrier than on a crt. Then there's the colors and contrast and so on and so on.
The only tft I could maybe recommend is if there would be one with double resolution of 640 X 480. that would be 1280 X 960. I'm not sure these exist, but if my calculations are correct, this could look OK.
Why not take ye ol' dc to the store and see for yourself how awful it looks.
Perhaps it depends on the upscaling quality of the tft.
Good luck finding info on those specific qualities.
Those who do not endure the size and wieght of crt's do not deserve it's quality, my grand pa always used to say, no he didn't. :wink:
anal = crt
don't give a .... and/or space issues = tft
Reluctant Hero

Post by Reluctant Hero »

So CRT is the way to go eh? Is are there certain brands/qualities that I should look for? Any models you recommend?
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Just get the biggest one you can find at a price you're willing to pay. And if it's cheap, you won't have to think twice about turning it on its side.

Tate + VGA on a CRT, hope you have a change of underwear ready.
Reluctant Hero

Post by Reluctant Hero »

A change od underwear huh? Well I've never Tated before so I'm looking forward to this. I found a 17" CRT on cragslist for $20. I think I'm gonna call the guy up.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
nZero

Post by nZero »

Slight change in topic, does anyone have any recommendations for calibration tools for a CRT monitors without having to involve a colorimeter?
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

Reluctant Hero wrote:A change od underwear huh? Well I've never Tated before so I'm looking forward to this. I found a 17" CRT on cragslist for $20. I think I'm gonna call the guy up.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Good job bro. I have two 17" CRTs here. Like the above poster said, Tate + VGA = *drool*
I got mad gigabytes.
Franz the Stampede

Post by Franz the Stampede »

CRT is absolutely the way to go.

Talking about tate, is Ikaruga 3:4 or something like 9:16?
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

It's 3:4. When you play the games in yoko it is deceiving. Looks like it should be a 9:16 image, but it's not. When you turn a 4:3 set on it's side, it suddently doesn't look so square any more. Quite an illusion, imo.
I got mad gigabytes.
Franz the Stampede

I see...

thanks
SAM

Post by SAM »

iatneH wrote:Just get the biggest one you can find at a price you're willing to pay. And if it's cheap, you won't have to think twice about turning it on its side.

Tate + VGA on a CRT, hope you have a change of underwear ready.
Big CRT is absolutly the way to go. And in fact, I have my PC running in Tate mode. Better in viewing documents, webpage, etc.

In fact Many PC games actually support Tate mode, e.g. I have been playing Civilization III in Tate. :o

I really wish to put my monitor at office in Tate, too bad that the vedio card of my office PC dosen't support Tate mode... :?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Got a standard Dell here at 17", its a CRT. Very happy with the colors it displays, very vibrant and sharp on the Dreamcast.

The DC displays the lowest form of VGA so you don't need anything flash.

They are big though, I think 17" is alright for Tateing.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Reluctant Hero

Post by Reluctant Hero »

I got my VGA cord yestudray. Got home from work and I promptly hooked up my new used 17" VGA CRT and Dreamcast. My god, playing games in VGA is outstanding. :shock:

But with shumps, its like they're all brand new games! I finally went TATE for the first time ever and playing my DC shumps (Border Down, Trigger Heart Excelica) was like playing brand new games!

I played Giga Wing 2 and I was wishing I could TATE the screen, but sadly the game wasn't made for that screen orientation.

I can't wait to get Karous and Trizeal next week to experience more CRT+VGA+TATE excellence!
Dann

Post by Dann »

Reluctant Hero wrote: I finally went TATE for the first time ever and playing my DC shumps (Border Down, Trigger Heart Excelica) was like playing brand new games!
Border Down tate'd must have been a sight!
Reluctant Hero

Post by Reluctant Hero »

Dann wrote:
Reluctant Hero wrote: I finally went TATE for the first time ever and playing my DC shumps (Border Down, Trigger Heart Excelica) was like playing brand new games!
Border Down tate'd must have been a sight!
Good point! :lol: I don't know why I wrote Border Down. I wish owned Border Down! I meant Under Defeat though.
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

It's already there. You just have to turn it on!
Franz the Stampede

we meant CRT monitor...

:)
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

And here's one more vote for CRT...
icepick

Post by icepick »

Goongrave wrote:Ahhhhh LOL!!!

Ok Ok now it makes sense to me :PPP
Yes! CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) is the technology used in traditional television sets, computer monitors and arcade monitors. As you noticed, CRT was mentioned in comparison to LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) or plasma.

As an aside, a popular way of viewing PC video output on a television CRT is with a video card that supports composite or S-video out. The cost is much less than USD 70.00, perhaps USD 30.00 for a decent used card. :D

Speaking of Border Down in tate, maybe I should try Under Defeat in "lazy tate" with rotated controls sometime. It seems like Ikaruga's engine would lend itself to that style of play far better than Under Defeat, though I've really only seen videos of Ika (played for a few moments at a friend's before).
\\ /\/\ \
szycag

Post by szycag »

SAM wrote: Big CRT is absolutly the way to go. And in fact, I have my PC running in Tate mode. Better in viewing documents, webpage, etc.
How do you do that?! That sounds cool...
nZero

Post by nZero »

szycag wrote:
SAM wrote: Big CRT is absolutly the way to go. And in fact, I have my PC running in Tate mode. Better in viewing documents, webpage, etc.
How do you do that?! That sounds cool...
A couple of programs are good for that, just knock your monitor onto its side and go. NVRotate for NVidia graphiccard users, or ATI Tray Tools for ATI graphiccard users.
D

IMO

Post by D »

Ussualy you can even use in Windows this command to rotate the Windows orientation.
CTRL+ALT+[left arrow key]
to get it back to horizontal:
CTRL+ALT+[up arrow key]

The normal orientation is only recommended IMO for when you are working with two documents, you can have two docs, next to each other.
The minimal resolution for this would be 1280X1024.
1024x768, I would say just leave it yoko.
Always try to put your screen on maximum workable resolution.
In Windows there is also a default windows font size. I recomend setting it a bit bigger and the resolution a bit higher.
Damn, so many non-game related tips on one reply :?
benstylus

Re: Dreamcast VGA monitor

Post by benstylus »

Reluctant Hero wrote: I'm looking for a 17 inch LCD with VGA and DVI and it has to rotate counter-clockwise (for shumps :D ). I'm looking to spend between $100 and $150. I found a nice one here but it is out of price range.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Heh - this won't help you any, but thanks for the link... I've been looking for a reasonably priced rotateable LCD monitor for some time - never thought to check out Samsung's stuff.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
antron

Post by antron »

craigslist seems to be a good place to find big crt monitors. I'm seeing medical grade ones for nothing.