HANTAREX HELP!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
antron

Post by antron »

Dreamcast yes, Saturn no.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Yes it should work with the Dreamcast VGA box. I'd bet the monitor comes with a VGA cord if its 31khz only. As for Saturn, you'd need to upscan it with something like an XRGB2 (expensive).
PC Engine Fan X!

The 411 on the Microcom produced XRGB-2 upscan convertor...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For Goongrave,

A used Microcom produced XRGB-2 upscan convertor will set you back at least $100.00 - $200.00+ USD easily.

And not only that, you'd have to pick up a Japanese RGB 21-pin cable interface for use with your beloved Sega Saturn. It would convert the Saturn's native 15.7 kHz sync rate into proper 31 kHz sync rate to display correctly on your new Hantarex monitor. ^_~

Good luck on finding such a rare XRGB-2 & proper Japanese RGB SS cable interface -- they're worth the insane $$$ to obtain one..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ktownhero

Re: HANTAREX HELP!

Post by ktownhero »

Goongrave wrote:A friend of mine for "obscure reasons" has got this "Nude" hantarex monitor:
Did it fall off of a truck or something? Or maybe more appropriately, accidentally flew out of an arcade machine sitting in a local mall? lol.
I got mad gigabytes.
D

Post by D »

Goongrave wrote:Thank you PC Engine Fan but i'm not that "HARDCORE" Saturn player ^_^.

With all that money I can buy another crt (non hantarex T_T)
Exactly, upscanning is ridiculous anyway. Hantarex make lo res monitors as well!
Most likely the monitor handles 640X480 and 800X600. Perhaps there is a interlace option for 1024X768, but I wouldn't use that. Interlace sucks.
But, you could also get one of thos j-pac cards which output lo res 240p signals to display on a lo-res normal 15 khz crt monitor.
So what you need to figure out is if you want to play 15 hz arcade games or if you want to have more modern 480p systems emulated.
playing 15 hz mame roms on an 480p monitor makes no sense. I would suggest to get a j-pac instead and display mame on a lo res monitor.
Actually I'm talking out of my *ss since I know very little about emulation and MAME, but I know monitors and arcade stuff, so that's where this advise is coming from. Welcome to the forum. We can always use more hardcore gamers.
Let us know how it goes.
I'm in the process of hopefuly securing a 34" Hantarex vga crt with those exact specs I stated above. I will be using it with my Dreamcast. I can't wait!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I have an XRGB2 with every RGB cable going. I think 2D stuff looks good through the XRGB, but anything high RES in polygons looks like complete crap (bright, blocky, glary, blurry)

I bought my XRGB2 in an import store in St Louis and Matt made the cables about 3 years ago. I guess its a good idea to keep all that then if the prices are as high as you say :lol:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.