Its projector time!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sideshow

Its projector time!

Post by sideshow »

I just purchased a projector and am brainstorming for the best way to hook my consoles up to it. The projector has a 720p native resolution. I currently have a PCEngine, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, XBOX, and 360. As far as PCEngine and Saturn, well, those systems werent designed to be displayed on the higher resolution setups nowadays so I"m not quite sure the best way to hook those up besides the standard composite. I know that theres a Dreamcast VGA cable which I plan on getting but what about PS2, XBOX, and 360 VGA setups? I noticed this component to VGA converter link in these forums and dont know if its the best way to go to hook up the PS2, XBOX, and 360? Has anybody bought this X2vga converter that can recommend it or is there something better?

http://www.x2vga.com/product
D

Re: Its projector time!

Post by D »

sideshow wrote:As far as PCEngine and Saturn, well, those systems werent designed to be displayed on the higher resolution setups nowadays so I"m not quite sure the best way to hook those up besides the standard composite.
If you would've just told us the inputs you have on your beamer.
For pc engine and Saturn get RGB SCART cables. Since I don't know where you're from you might not even have these inputs. (you're from the US right?) Tough luck. You can hook Saturn up by S-video, which is a bit better than composite.
The thing is how far you're willing to go with the PS2. there is blaze vga cable I think which should be able to display most games in 480p. Not sure though information is scarse. Provide us with some more info.
Where not mindreaders :wink:
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Sorry I dint give the info on the projector. I ordered one then cancelled it cause I wanted a unit with better contrast. Here is the puppy I decided to get:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD72.htm

It has a DVI and HDMI inputs so maybe thats better than getting all the VGA hookups? Yes, I live in the us so I guess the RGB Scart cart is out of the question for PCEngine. I've heard of a RGB mod to be done on the PCEngine but havnt pursued it yet. So S-Video is the best for Saturn? I understand that not all dreamcast games support VGA but still the majority do and the VGA cable seems the right choice for that system. The PS2 only has a handful of games that support true 480p and the rest I hope I can get something that will do 480i. Most XBOX games have 480p support which is cool and the 360 well we all no 720p is no problem with that system.

The bottom line is that I'm not quite sure whether to use standard component cables for the PS2, XBOX, 360 or do a VGA setup like the Dreamcast or do the DVI/HDMI digital hookup? Since my projector can handle 720p natively I want to do what I can to make all the older generation systems look as amazing as possible.

UPDATE: It appears this projector doesnt have a 15 pin VGA input so the Dreamcast cable isnt going to work now or its going to be a little bit more trickier to hook the Dreamcast up to get 480p. I saw this VGA to component transcoder which will set me back more mula http://www.smarthome.com/777060.html I may just have to settle for component hookup for PS2 and XBOX. I see that the PS3 has a HDMI connector and the 360 should have one soon. This is what the projector has for inputs:

# A USB service port
# An RS-232 command and control port
# S-video input
# Composite video
# A component video input (Red, Green, and Blue RCA jack inputs)
# A DVI-I connector, which can handle a digital input, or analog computer
# A separate HDMI digital connector

Any suggestions of optimal hookups for these consoles?
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

IF the projector does have a DVI-I connector, then it can accept VGA just fine... just get a simple (and cheap) VGA --> DVI-I converter (it just remaps wires, no processing whatsoever) and you're all set.

If you are really hardcore about video quality, and handy with simple soldering and whatnot, just get a RGB --> Component converter that most people use with superguns.. and use the RGB outputs on the older systems with that and presto...
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Saturn: XRGB or standard Svideo
PCE: RGB mod/XRGB
DC: VGA cable
Xbox: Component video cabes (as games support 480p/720p)
X360: VGA cable
PS2: Component video

Saturn and PCE will look rough on a projector. I would advise not using these on a projector because its going to be expensive and give very unsatisfactory results.

With all the other consoles, you are going to get a fantastic picture.

If you stick with component for XB/XB360 and PS2 I would get one of these -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6878104209
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Thanks for all the input. I was a little worried for a moment that I would have to buy a transcoder to get the dreamcast VGA cable to connect to the projector but found that since VGA is analogue and DVI-I is also analogue(and digital) then its just a matter of getting a simple pin converter like mentioned.

I'm also reluctant to even bother with setting up the PCEngine and Saturn to the projector cause I really dont want to mod my DUO-RX nor buy a S-Video cable for the Saturn when they wont really look that good. Although an S-Video cable for the Saturn would make it look much better on a regular T.V.

I'm going to go with component cables for PS2 and XBOX and kinda considering getting the PS2 Xploder HDTV for the games that dont support 480p.

I've been looking around the net for a HDMI cable for the 360 but cant seem to find one just rumors. I know the PS3 has a HDMI cable which I will definetely pick up when I decide to get the console.

Is it really worth it to buy the expensive ass Monster component cables for PS2, XBOX, and 360 or is the standard Sony, Microsoft component cables sufficient?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

HDMI is not supported on 360 yet, its a fairly pointless exercise unless MS release a new 360 with a digital output on it.

I would pay about $10 more for the monster cables, I would not pay $70+ for them. So if you can find some on ebay going cheap by all means do so, but don't buy new ones at full price because your not going to really notice a great deal of difference.

Its worth noting that your placement of the projector is an important thing to take into account because dedicated cables for consoles don't run into meters in length. Thats why I recommend you get a switcher. It might cause problems with the VGA-DVi-I cable as well.

PS3 uses regular HDMI cables, again, unless your running into long lengths just get the $10 cables from eBay.

Just some noteworthy things to take into account. :wink:
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Ok, I'll keep the switch in my mind just in case. I was also thinking that maybe it would be better to just get VGA cables for all the systems or should I just use VGA for Dreamcast since thats the only system that displays it natively?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I would not recommend VGA for Xbox unless your system is hacked. Since you wont be able to see anything until the system goes into 480p mode in VGA. For Xbox, the best connection is component.

For 360, you can go either way, component or VGA is fine.. to keep things simple, go Component.

PS2 - Component again.. Doesn't support VGA natively and there is only a few games that a transcoder will handle.. If your getting a PS3, just use HDMI on that for PS2 BC.

Dreamcast - VGA.. I find most games on Dreamcast to look funny in 16:9 since their mostly arcade games in native 4:3. I'd prefer not to use this system on the projector myself, as I use my system mostly for shooters.

I don't know your audio setup either. Obviously your receiver isn't going to be close to the projector.. So thats another question?

Dreamcast outputs only analogue audio, therefore you need 3.5" PC type speakers for the VGA cable, or RCA's for the VGA BOX. (2 types of VGA connection exist for DC).

For Xbox/360/ps2, they all have analogue and optical outs. If using component, you will have to switch through the receiver or a seperate switcher box.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I have a modded XBOX with Evolution X dashboard. I run all my emulation classic system needs on this system but also have a great deal of XBOX games for it as well. So a VGA cable would be a better option for the XBOX since mine is hacked?

As far as 360, I hear that the VGA cable has an advantage over the component cables in that it can truly display 1080p considering you have the HD addon. Even though my projector doesnt support 1080p its still a nice feature if I ever go the route with a 1080p projector or HDTV.

I see a couple VGA cables for the PS2 on the net. One by Blaze, Red Ant, Xploder as well but not sure if its worth it as you say. I'm really leaning towards component for PS2.

Yes, PS3 will definetely be HDMI when I get around to getting one.

As far as audio, I bought the Ultimate Gaming Chair which I believe only offers stereo sound but I havnt experienced it yet to hear the quality. The chair has the option to hook up a full surround sound system if you want but I'm not going to by a suround sound system unless needed.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Hacked Xbox allows you to edit a piece of code that puts the dash in 480p mode. Still prefer component though, since the hack will support component so the dash is in 480p as well.

360 - HD add on sounds like the HD-DVD add on. I'm not sure if this is beneficial to you..

As stated previously, Component is more beneficial to you.. and certainly any of the PS2 VGA boxes are crap.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Yes, I meant HD-DVD addon for the 360.

To be honest, I cant even find a VGA cable for the original XBOX so component cables is what I will resort to.

So I've made my decisions then:

Dreamcast = VGA Cable with VGA to DVI-I converter. Audio will be some PC speakers that I already have for me PC. Not sure if I can use the chair for audio hookup.

PS2 and XBOX = Component cables. Audio will be plugged into the Ultimate Gaming Chair and possible optical out for a full surround sound.

360 = VGA cable with VGA to DVI-I converter. Audio will be plugged into the Ultimate Gaming Chair as well as possible optical out.

Whew..............Lots of fucking cables to get but oh well, its only money. You only live once. I really cant wait to play games like Ikaruga, Under Defeat, Psyvariar 2 with really vibrant colors.

:P
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Thanks, I'll post a pic once I have everything setup.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Xbox doesnt have a VGA cable.. You have to buy a transcoder like the X2VGA2. www.x2vga.com

I'm not completely sure, but they might provide the component cables for Xbox with the unit.. Therefore you will have both component and VGA capability. They cost about $70 though.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

That would make the PS2 and XBOX do VGA. Looks tempting. By the way, the converters that attach on the VGA cable to the DVI-I have to be MALE to MALE right? I'm pretty sure the dreamcast VGA cable end is female as is the DVI-I end on the projector is female. I'm going to need something on the lines of this? http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_ ... #DVI-A_VGA

Now you got me itchin to get the X2VGA. Its only 60 bones which isnt too bad. Still I saw on ebay people selling monster cables for the PS2 and XBOX for like 20 bones shipped so not too damaging at all. Damn, I think I'm going VGA all the way.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The X2VGA is a good product.. bear in mind that only progressive scan games from PS2 will work on it though.

Things like GT4, God of war 1 & 2, Tekken 4/5, Burnout 2 etc

That means you won't be able to play any shooters on it in VGA.

Xbox is much better because 98% of the games are VGA compatible.

The VGA cable/boxes for DC are female.. When plugged into a SVGA monitor you actually still need the cable that comes out of the monitor. As I found out the other week when I took the cable round my friends house to try the VGA cable out on my friends VGA input on his HDTV. So yes you will require an adaptor of sorts for the DVI-I input on your projector :wink:
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

As far as a component cable, check this baby out!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/06/xcm- ... ons-unite/

The only console its doesnt connect to is the XBOX. This will be perfect to connect to the X2VGA2. :D

I went ahead and ordered the XVGA2. What I'm going to do as far as non PS2 480p games(which pretty much includes all the shmups for the system), is just hook the ps2 up via component straight to the projector. But for 480p games like God of War 2, Resident Evil 4, Shadow of the Collosus, etc. will be hookedup via X2VGA2. :wink:
Last edited by sideshow on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Its still bit a fiddly on the ps2.. Most 480p games on the PS2 you select 480p through a menu. I think the X2VGA2 has a mode for that though.. so you should be ok.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Ya, its a good option to just buy all component cables for the consoles then just use the X2VGA2 if you want to go VGA. I went ahead and just got the individual gamelink monster cables for each console. Ebay and Amazon is the way to go as I got all of them for ps2, xbox, and 360 for about 70 bones. I just got the component cables with stereo audio rca jacks. The XBOX, and 360 monster cables have the option to go optical if I choose to go that route. The PS2 has the optical out on the back of the console. I guess all I need now is a 5.1 surround sound system.

UPDATE: I went knucking futs and decided to get the audio experience as well. Bought this http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YLXm42v7CI ... 580HTS790S

Should sound saucy! :P
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

1. If you start seeing rainbow-colored squiggles on the screen image, take the bulb out and carefully take a vacuum to the projector innards. 'Bi-Product of not having a dust filter. This may happen around 300-500 hours of use.

2. It's your toy, obviously, but I would honestly recommend only hooking up last gen, current gen, or Component/HDMI modded consoles to the thing. You should get a regular tv to keep in the area for the rest of the consoles and regular TV if you're not hooked for HDTV or intend to passively watch any tv on projector all the time. Trust me, when that bulb life runs out, you're out $300+ for a new one. I would save that bulb life for legitimate occasional presentations where you can take advantage of great resolutions and not as "the screen to use for everything."

3. Keep your Onkyo equipment receipts. I got a disk changer and a receiver through them and they both fell apart at about a year. I got to take the receiver back for an upgraded current model and it works perfectly. The disk changer broke a little over a year and couldn't get anything for it.

-I own an Optoma also and have owned an Epson and a 3M projector previously. Still currently use Onkyo receiver, Bose 5.1 speaker set, and don't have a working dvd player anymore...sitting on 2 broken ones...I swear to god all dvd players are designed to croak in a year....
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Yes, I read about the rainbow effect that DLP projectors can have. Thanks for the tip on cleaning. I do plan on only playing last and current gen games on here. I am not going to make this my watch T.V. screen just big time gamin and occasional movie binge. I would of just bought a regualr LCD, PLasma, television but I want a 100'' screen dammit thats affordable. I sure hope the bulb doesnt croak before the expected life span of 2000 hours or so. Still this Optoma model is only 1400 after rebate so its not TERRIBLE expensive when the bulb finally goes. This onkyo 7.1 system I purchased is only 400 dollars and supposed to sound amazing for the price. I've never bought any Onkyo products before so dont know how fragile or long lasting they are but I will keep my receipt like you say. God of War 2 at 480p on a 100'' screen with pro logic II. Its gonna be one hella va adventure. 8)