This is a HRAP?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Arznei
Banned User

This is a HRAP?

Post by Arznei »

I'd like to know since this I can get one for, including shipping (and used), $125 Australian. Don't know what that is in American (xe.com) but the HRAP from play-asia costs $157 Australian.

Here's information from shoryuken.com, explaining that the US Tekken stick isn't a HRAP, but the japanese one is:
Japanese T5 HRAP:
- Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y-SK
- Hori Buttons
- Buttons soldered onto PCB
- Tekken lightning art
- Button layout is Japanese arcade cab layout
- Button placement:
[] /\ L1 R1
X O L2 R2
- Pic: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...k-70-imt.html#

US T5 Hori stick (NOT a HRAP, but usually confused for one):
- Hori Buttons and Stick
- Buttons soldered onto PCB
- Tekken art
- Button layout is Japanese console stick layout
- Button placement:
L1 [] /\ R1
L2 X O R2
- Work and are lag-free with these converters:
PS --> XBOX - Dragonbox - when choosing colors, HP and HK are switched.
PS --> Dreamcast - Innovation
PS --> PC - Wind Spirit
- Pic: http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/img._screen001.jpg
It'd be great if someone that OWNS this stick would come forth with some information. I need to know before I buy because if it's basically the same, what could go wrong?
jiji

Post by jiji »

Both of them differ from a HRAP in that their buttons are soldered to a solid PCB instead of using quick disconnects. This means they're much more susceptible to failure due to solder joints gone cold or PCB cracks. Plus, you won't be able to swap out the buttons for Sanwa or Seimitsu parts nearly as easily, nor change your button configuration (if you're into that).
Arznei
Banned User

Post by Arznei »

Bummer. :(
SAM

Post by SAM »

It is (Sanwa Joystick + Hori Buttons), but it dosen't got auto fire.

I really suggestion you get a model with auto fire support. It dosen't cost much more.

On the other hand, since it got no auto fire, you don't feel guilt in converting it for other console use. (I have converted one of this model for my supergun use.)
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
SAM

Post by SAM »

jiji wrote:Both of them differ from a HRAP in that their buttons are soldered to a solid PCB instead of using quick disconnects. This means they're much more susceptible to failure due to solder joints gone cold or PCB cracks. Plus, you won't be able to swap out the buttons for Sanwa or Seimitsu parts nearly as easily, nor change your button configuration (if you're into that).
I confirm this model got their buttons soldered to a solid PCB inside. You could still swap the buttons, but that would need more equirements and more effort. :o
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

SAM wrote:It is (Sanwa Joystick + Hori Buttons), but it dosen't got auto fire.

I really suggestion you get a model with auto fire support. It dosen't cost much more.

On the other hand, since it got no auto fire, you don't feel guilt in converting it for other console use. (I have converted one of this model for my supergun use.)
Just to further clarify though, only the Japanese T5 uses a Sanwa Stick. The US one uses a Hori stick. I know the pic is of the Japanese one, but just wanted to throw the FYI out there for OP. I'm basing this information on Shoryuken's HRAP FAQ
I got mad gigabytes.
Arznei
Banned User

Post by Arznei »

It sounds like I should avoid this, then. I know it's about $40 cheaper than getting a hrap, but really, the thought of it having the possibility of dying on me isn't very appealing at all.
ktownhero

Post by ktownhero »

I just purchased an HRAP on ebay for $82 shipped, brand new. At the time, the seller had about a dozen in stock. Try searching on ebay for them. If you see anybody doing 79.99 buy it now, or "best offer," make them an offer of $65. Myself and monkonuggets won one that way, and after shipping only came to $82. The HRAP is worth the price, it is extremely versatile and, with adapters, universal.
I got mad gigabytes.