Flying Shark PCB - JAMMA Connectivity Issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Halloween Jack

Flying Shark PCB - JAMMA Connectivity Issue

Post by Halloween Jack »

Hi Guys,

Just bought a Flying Shark PCB for my Egret, but I'm currently experiencing problems connecting the JAMMA harness to the lip of the PCB.

It looks like the pins of the connector meet towards the back of the black plastic housing. No problem with this except that even when pushed fully home on the PCB, there is no 'bite' and the PCB just falls out of the connector.

Thing is, my Truxton and Cyvern fit very snug, and are really difficult to remove once connected to the harness - visibly the connector looks immaculate.

As it currently stands the only way I can maintain a connection is to bind the connector and board with electrical tape, which is far from ideal.

'D' has kindly provided guidance and stated that the pins should be tweaked to improve the grip, but the connector looks fine and works okay with other boards, so as this approach carries a certain amount of risk, I'd rather leave it as a last course of action.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Halloween Jack
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I've had a similar problem with my autofire PCB connecting to CPS2 boards, part of the autofire hits the plastic of the CPS2 shell and just doesn't clip far enough in to stay. Solution, was to either use my 2 way switcher board as there is no plastic obstruction when connecting the autofire board to it, or to build a jamma edge connector extender (edge-connector + jamma finger board).
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

Dave_K. wrote:I've had a similar problem with my autofire PCB connecting to CPS2 boards, part of the autofire hits the plastic of the CPS2 shell and just doesn't clip far enough in to stay. Solution, was to either use my 2 way switcher board as there is no plastic obstruction when connecting the autofire board to it, or to build a jamma edge connector extender (edge-connector + jamma finger board).
Thanks Dave, can switcher boards be used with a JAMMA harness and are they commercially available?

Cheers

Halloween Jack
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Halloween Jack wrote: Thanks Dave, can switcher boards be used with a JAMMA harness and are they commercially available?
Yes, I use Mike's double jamma adapter (actually I own 3 of these and love them).
http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/stor ... u=DBLJAMMA
Halloween Jack

Post by Halloween Jack »

Well, at long last I got back to addressing this issue - which proved to be more simplistic than first thought 8)

Close scrutiny showed that the three recesses made for the JAMMA connector had rounded corners. So I simply took a very fine flat file to the glass-fibre board and gently removed the offending material. Amazingly, even though only a tiny amount of board was filed back, the JAMMA connector now enjoys an excellent push fit, with a satisfying 'click' when the connector is fully home.

I'm happy :D :D