FC Twin

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lawnspic

FC Twin

Post by lawnspic »

How are these things? Is the quality good, and does it retain the AV port so i can use my S video
Iron Maiden: "It was dead, but alive at the same time."
Ed Oscuro

Re: FC Twin

Post by Ed Oscuro »

The only Famicom with S-Video built-in, unless you mod it yourself, is the Sharp Famicom Titler (I dunno about the NES TVs, those might also have good quality output...according to Assembler they are internally composite and stereo wtf).

I still haven't used mine for gaming yet. It's sitting pretty in its box.
grahf

Post by grahf »

It only has 3 rca jacks, no nintendo port on the back. I tested my FC Twin with about 50 snes games, about 15 with special hardware (ie: superfx, SA-1, DSP1, etc, etc). All worked flawlessly for me. I could not detect any flaws in video or audio. It may not be 100% compatible, but if not its damn close.

The SNES part is a hardware clone. The NES part is a nes-on-a-chip (that is common with most nes clones). The nes portion outputs compostive video, period. The SNES portion outputs RGB, which runs through the common CXA1645 encoder. Its set up for composite out of the box, but with a little soldering it will be easy to pull either s-video or rgb off of the encoder.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

grahf wrote:I tested my FC Twin with about 50 snes games
You tested something with SNES games, but not a FC Twin.

Edit: Where I come from, pirates don't cut it. Damn them for confusing things. To me, a FC Twin is a Sharp machine made in 1986.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

Ed Oscuro wrote: To me, a FC Twin is a Sharp machine made in 1986.
Quite right. I considered getting one but chose an AV Famicom and a Disk System instead. Maybe not as cool but it takes up less space and you can connect standard NES controllers to it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

The hardwired controllers (well, they can be swapped out, but that requires at the least some disassembly) are part of the reason I haven't used the Twin. Silly drawback.
grahf

Post by grahf »

Ed Oscuro wrote: You tested something with SNES games, but not a FC Twin.

Edit: Where I come from, pirates don't cut it. Damn them for confusing things. To me, a FC Twin is a Sharp machine made in 1986.
My apologies to the original poster. I forgot about the original disk system twin, since there are only about 3 of them in existence :P I just assumed he meant the FC Twin (clone) since a lot of people are talking about those these days.

And about the whole piracy thing, I agree to an extent. I think its different in the case of this new FCTwin. The original hardware is no longer made, and is starting to get hard to find (and pricey). Mini-SNES' especially. Sure the original is better, but having a decent reproduction with easily accessed RGB is welcome to me. Not to mention the motherboard is TINY, so im making a portable out of it :wink:
The piracy/clone thing is kinda a whole other discussion though..
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I dunno if the original mini SNES is the cat's meow, really. Sure, it's small, and I bought two for like $7 each (and recently, too) - BUT there isn't any S-Video. Just A/V. It is accurate, though. Since I've never seen a pirate FC Twin in operation...I can't really comment on it.

Anyhow, FC Twins are a bit more common than people think. I remember looking at Yahoo! Auctions Japan with some other guy and finding all sorts of different crazy variations :D I like the ones with green or blue buttons/trim but the best is the "Fire" (orange) version (not the same as the red one that always gets called girly). Last I checked, there's often about half a dozen (at least) of 'em on there at any one time.
grahf

Post by grahf »

Well yeah, it does lack the good stuff as far as video out. RGB can be added with a few caps and resistors, but s-video is not worth the work. That said, would you want to get rid of one of them minis for a little profit? :D
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Not when I can sell it for like HUEG BUX on eBay, sorry :oops: Thanks for the offer though. Also, I remembered wrong; one of them was boxed, bought a lot on Digital Press some years ago.