Great Lakes—Michigan/Ohio Fellowship — ALL welcome!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

First meet for Great Lakes Shmup Team is March 3, 2007 at Ayanami's

Time: 5:00pm (est) to ???

Current list of those attending:

Sonic R & wife
Ayanami
kccttzj & Zero Otaku
DJ Incompetent
Davey
Dale & Andylee
ROBOTRON
boagman
ubersaurus

Things to bring:
Favorite controller or arcade stick
Favorite beverage
any games you wish to play and show off :)
my library

If anyone else would like to attend (we'd love to have you) please post and we will get all info PM'ed to you very soon!
Last edited by Sonic R on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Ayanami wrote:I have a computer with MAME on it of course with at least 100 shooters. (Moniter can easily be TATEd)
Do you have any doujin shmups on there, especially Kenta Cho's stuff? Besides my own obvious self-interest, Dale is one of the few other doujin aficionados on the board, IIRC.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I got a lot of Doujin shooters on my PC. The Kenta Cho stuff is the ABA stuff right? If so, yeah.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

I have sent PMs to every body. If ya didn't get one just tell me. If any one has problems with the directions just PM me.

I could probably get a couple more people in if they wanted to attend, but after that it kinda starts to get a little too large for my parents taste. Hope to see ya all there. :D
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I'm new on here, having lurked for a while. Robotron knows me from other forums and such though, and I do enjoy shooters a plenty. I'd be interested in going to this as well, if it isn't too far out there!
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

You are more than welcome. I have PMed you with directions. Once again. If anyone has any troubles with any thing, just PM me.

I MIGHT be able to squeez one more person in, can't make any promises though.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

ubersaurus wrote:I'm new on here, having lurked for a while. Robotron knows me from other forums and such though, and I do enjoy shooters a plenty. I'd be interested in going to this as well, if it isn't too far out there!
I believe I am familiar with you as I have seen you post on DP. I am on there as well (though with a different handle). I share similar feelings as you about Ikaruga. Anyways, you are more than welcome to attend the shoot them meet and hope you are able to make it(I'll include you on the list). We are at Garden City/Dearborn Heights border.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Last time we started at like 5:00 or 6:00, is that the plan this time too?
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Sounds good to me.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Sonic, who are you over there?

That's not too far from me, I should be able to swing by after work.

Lookin forward to playing some good stuff. I don't expect I have much that isn't already there to bring(unless an NES repro of Recca counts), but I'll be there.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Got Trigger Heart Exelica today so this will be available for all to try.

Going to go back and play some more.

See you Saturday!
Davey

Post by Davey »

Sonic R wrote:Things to bring:
Favorite controller or arcade stick
Favorite beverage
any games you wish to play and show off :)
I remember there being a potential seating issue... should we bring a chair? I have one I can bring if need be.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Davey wrote: I remember there being a potential seating issue... should we bring a chair? I have one I can bring if need be.
I think (hope) we will be ok. I'll be bring a total of 6 chairs. 2 folding outdoor style, 2 padded folding and the 2 chairs I use in the gaming room.

If you have one go ahead and bring it to be safe :wink:
Will be seeing everyone Saturday!
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Davey wrote:I remember there being a potential seating issue... should we bring a chair? I have one I can bring if need be.
I would bring one if it will not be much hassle. I have about 5 to 6 folding chairs down there, I will get an exact count on what I have later after I search around. I do have the barstools, but those will probably be used by people taking a break from the gaming. Seating should not be a problem with Sonic Rs chairs, but better safe than sorry.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I can bring along my repro of Recca for NES. If there's an atari 2600 or a 7800, I can also bring along some homebrew games or something akin to that.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

ubersaurus wrote:I can bring along my repro of Recca for NES. If there's an atari 2600 or a 7800, I can also bring along some homebrew games or something akin to that.
I've got a 7800 but have to locate the RF switch box for it and I may have only one joystick. I think the knob had come off of the other. May need to bring a couple joysticks - I know the 7800 joysticks were not very popular or comfortable for that matter. Or I could bring my SMS controllers to use as well. Going to look for that switch box now.

EDIT: ok I found everything to hook up the 7800. I'll be bringing that.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Sonic....someone mentioned bringing Power Strike...should I bring the Sega SMS converter or do you have a SMS/converter?

Last Hope and I think thats all folks mentioned (from my list).

EDIT: Never mind...I see now that u have an SMS.
Fight Like A Robot!
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Sonic R wrote:
ubersaurus wrote:I can bring along my repro of Recca for NES. If there's an atari 2600 or a 7800, I can also bring along some homebrew games or something akin to that.
I've got a 7800 but have to locate the RF switch box for it and I may have only one joystick. I think the knob had come off of the other. May need to bring a couple joysticks - I know the 7800 joysticks were not very popular or comfortable for that matter. Or I could bring my SMS controllers to use as well. Going to look for that switch box now.

EDIT: ok I found everything to hook up the 7800. I'll be bringing that.
I have a pair of 7800 european control pads somewhere, I can try and dig those out.

I've got some really cool stuff for both that and the 2600. Beef Drop, Turmoil, Ballblazer, Star Fire, Vault Assault, Thrust...

I'm also bringing along an Odyssey 2 for the purposes of handing it over to Robotron; I can bring some games for it if anyone is interested. Kill The Attacking Aliens is a really cool homebrew shmup, and I just recently got a reproduction of the unreleased Spiderman game!
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

ubersaurus wrote: I have a pair of 7800 european control pads somewhere, I can try and dig those out.

I've got some really cool stuff for both that and the 2600. Beef Drop, Turmoil, Ballblazer, Star Fire, Vault Assault, Thrust...
Cool, if you can bring those 7800 control pads that would be great.

Its almost time....Are You Ready!
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Sonic R wrote:
ubersaurus wrote: I have a pair of 7800 european control pads somewhere, I can try and dig those out.

Cool, if you can bring those 7800 control pads that would be great.

Its almost time....Are You Ready!
Can do. I'll see if I can bring along my wico 2600 controllers. Obviously useless on games that require two buttons, but much, much nicer than either 7800 controller for ones that don't. Also, they're much more durable and sturdy :P
Dale

Post by Dale »

PROBLEM!

Alright I'm not sure if Ayanami gave me the right address. I go to Google map and it shows his parents house at Arcola and Cherry Hill road but on mapquest it shows it on Beach Daily and Cherry Hill.

Also if Ayanami's at an apartment I need to know the apartment number.

I called Sonic R but their was no answer.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

Dale wrote:PROBLEM!

Alright I'm not sure if Ayanami gave me the right address. I go to Google map and it shows his parents house at Arcola and Cherry Hill road but on mapquest it shows it on Beach Daily and Cherry Hill.

Also if Ayanami's at an apartment I need to know the apartment number.

I called Sonic R but their was no answer.
I have the google map and a 734 number outside that, I know no other information. I'm (and Boagman) are headed that way shortly.
Fight Like A Robot!
Davey

Post by Davey »

Dale wrote:I go to Google map and it shows his parents house at Arcola and Cherry Hill road but on mapquest it shows it on Beach Daily and Cherry Hill.
The address I have is at the same point in both Google and Mapquest, but one says it's in Dearborn Heights and the other says Inkster. Weird.

Anyway, sorry to miss out on the event. I was running a little late, and then I was made even more late as I sat in my car for over 2 hours on 23 N near Dundee. There must have been a really nasty accident, I didn't move an inch the entire time. There was a bunch of cop cars, a fire engine, a couple of tow trucks, two life flights (maybe just one, I was distracted by the DVD player in the minivan next to me). It wasn't even cleaned up as I left, the police had everybody turn around and drive the wrong way until the next u-turn, then merge onto 23 S and take some detour.

I was going to still come up, but I was kinda in a "screw it, I'm going home" mood by the time I started moving again. See you next time, guys!
Davey

Post by Davey »

Toledo Blade wrote:Ms. Adusumilli was northbound on U.S. 23 about 5:45 p.m. when a minivan being driven by Alicia M. Gonzalez, 19, of Saginaw, Mich., went off the east side of southbound U.S. 23, crossed the median, and went into the northbound lanes, hitting Ms. Adusumilli's sport utility vehicle, deputies said.
Wow, that was only a couple minutes before I got there. Had I not stopped for gas, that could have been me! :shock:

Full article
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Davey wrote:
Toledo Blade wrote:Ms. Adusumilli was northbound on U.S. 23 about 5:45 p.m. when a minivan being driven by Alicia M. Gonzalez, 19, of Saginaw, Mich., went off the east side of southbound U.S. 23, crossed the median, and went into the northbound lanes, hitting Ms. Adusumilli's sport utility vehicle, deputies said.
Wow, that was only a couple minutes before I got there. Had I not stopped for gas, that could have been me! :shock:

Full article
:shock: Glad you are ok, Davey! I can understand the frustrations with traffic. We had feared that you may have gotten lost or did not make it due to the afternoon snow.

We hope to do the next one sometime in April. Plus we usually do our usual bi-weekly gatherings and anyone is always welcome to swing by for those too :)
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

The gathering has come and gone and a good time was had by all. Many games were played as we had 3 televisions up and running. Folks were able to experience many games and see many new things for the first time.

ROBOTRON should be posting pics soon.

We hope to do this again sometime in April?
Please give your suggestions and all are welcome!

Thank you to all who attended and to those who tried :wink:

A BIG Thank You! to Ayanami for offering his residence for this event!
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

MICHIGAN SHMUPMEET

Boagman

MORE TO COME....
Last edited by ROBOTRON on Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fight Like A Robot!
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

MICHIGAN SHMUPMEET CONT.

Ubersaurus

ROBOTRON

I will edit this post with more pics soon...
Last edited by ROBOTRON on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fight Like A Robot!
Davey

Post by Davey »

On the plus side, now I'll have time to practice Twinkle Star Sprites in MAME before coming back up. I've only played it a couple times since the last meetup.

My April is currently wide open, if it's not too soon to start scheduling.
Dale

Post by Dale »

The meet was great, I had allot of fun. Andy had a blast too, he really liked playing Melty Blood and Guilty Gear with Ken and others.

I was kinda suprized how much Twinkle Star Sprites was played(you guys were really going at it). I'll make sure not to pick the hairy onion next time as he's your groups band character.

I also really enjoyed getting a chance to play Under Defeat and Trigger Heart Excelcia. Both games rock and I'll haft to get them eventually.

Hey Ken Andy thinks your really cool and would love to come to a FNG meeting(if his schedule will allow it hes been very busy with work and school). Oh and it was awesome of you to spring for the pizza. 8)
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.