GD: Mushihimesama - arrange easier then original?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jedah Doma

GD: Mushihimesama - arrange easier then original?

Post by Jedah Doma »

I've been playing this game more and more and loving every minute of it. I've really been into arranged mode and doing my best to get big chains. Now, while that's all fine and dandy, I noticed something today as I was playing.

I just got done with a round of arranged and thought I would go back and play normal mode. I figured that since arrange mode was meant to be harder, have more bullets, and overall be more difficult, that original would be a walk in the park. I was wrong. I noticed that even though the amount of bullets was less, the velocity was highly increased. I would have maybe five bullets shot by one enemy, but they came so fast, I didn't have the same reaction time.

I also noticed that boss fights seemed much harder and more frenzied in pace. Bullets seemed more random and faster and it was harder to dodge bullets. In arrange mode, bosses shot more bullets, but they are slower and more methodical. Also, there are paths to go through the bullets. You eye can map out an escape route and get to the other side of the screen to repeat and dodge again. Here's an example:

Notice that the boss shots out a pattern of bullets that has a path you can follow. Your eye leads you through many paths very easily. I noticed this was not the case in original. Most of the time I was getting hit by shots that were so fast, I died before I knew it hit me. The second stage boss was a great example of a super fast way to die. He kept shooting out the same ring bullet pattern over and over again, but at increasing speeds until I couldn't keep up with it.

Now, I know I've been playing a lot of arrange, but shouldn't original be easier, or is it a trade off. Do you get less bullets that are faster in original mode and more bullets that are slower in arrange mode? After playing through original mode, it makes me like arrange so much more. I'm glad this mode was one here, otherwise I might not have liked the package, as a whole, as much. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm not sure if this is for real, or a figment of my imagination.

Great people I've had deals with:
superhitachi4, KyleRXZero, Canadianzombie, Wanderer, and Strider77.
kawaijb

Post by kawaijb »

I understand your feelings about the bullets speed, according to me Original is harder than Maniac

because human being needs 0.6 sec to react about a situation, and so in original you have to move without seeing but knowing you have to move,

and between arrange mode and Original, I don't know, the arrange stages are very easy cauz the autobomb, but the true last boss technic needs 4 lifes (uaki videos), so I can't say

In fact I don't like Original, there's no scoring system
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

kawaijb wrote: In fact I don't like Original, there's no scoring system
There is, but it's much more limited compared to the other modes. You can still milk the trees in Stage 2 and time boss destructions for more items. I like Original for the very reason you don't, I enjoy not having to worry about score and just having a great twitch-fest.

(0.6 seconds for humans to react? No. Try your reaction time here, for example. I got 225 milliseconds.)

As for the question itself, Arrange is the easiest of modes (until the true final boss, anyway). There's the autobombing plus you start with 6 options right off the bat. I'm guessing you got the idea that Arrange is always harder from ESPGaluda.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Ghegs wrote:
kawaijb wrote: (0.6 seconds for humans to react? No. Try your reaction time here, for example. I got 225 milliseconds.)
Damn, I can't get better than 325 milliseconds.
kawaijb

Post by kawaijb »

the same, but that's just primary reaction

in shmup once you detect smthg you have to choose a way to react corectly, so it takes more time
well,

for me, arrange mode mushi is quiet as difficult as espgaluda, the difficulty is gather at the end with the bosses, whatever mushi's last boss is more diificult
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

I got 275 milli seconds.
Ord

Post by Ord »

:lol: 225 milliseconds. Go me! :lol:
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
laurie47

Post by laurie47 »

225, I found original hard too. Maniac is the most rounded experience.
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

Yes, arrange is worlds easier than any other difficulty in the game. You start out with full power ups, thus causing endless slowdown.

The only *real* mode is playing Ultra on Very Hard settings using only S-shot. (lol, I've only beat the first level once on these settings)

As someone else mentioned already, I would suggest that you play on Maniac with your option setting set to Very Hard. The game is much more "playable" that way. Reminds me a lot of Dai-Ou-Jou this way.
Hail Atlantis!
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

You should also take off all extends and start with 1 life.
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

ResOGlas wrote:Yes, arrange is worlds easier than any other difficulty in the game. You start out with full power ups, thus causing endless slowdown.

The only *real* mode is playing Ultra on Very Hard settings using only S-shot. (lol, I've only beat the first level once on these settings)

As someone else mentioned already, I would suggest that you play on Maniac with your option setting set to Very Hard. The game is much more "playable" that way. Reminds me a lot of Dai-Ou-Jou this way.
Why not just play on Ultra?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Valgar wrote:You should also take off all extends and start with 1 life.
Right. Anyone who is playing Ultra mode on Very Hard with more than 1 life and any extends is a wimp who is not playing THE REAL CAVE EXPERIENCE, as prescribed by the illustrious RESOGLAS. We must make everything as hard as Cave allows in the options screen and end our game in the first level endless times, this is the only way we truly accept Cave's ULTIMATE CHALLENGE, and by doing so we can proudly call ourselves REAL GAMERS.

[/sarcasm]
Jedah Doma

Post by Jedah Doma »

twe wrote:
Valgar wrote:You should also take off all extends and start with 1 life.
Right. Anyone who is playing Ultra mode on Very Hard with more than 1 life and any extends is a wimp who is not playing THE REAL CAVE EXPERIENCE, as prescribed by the illustrious RESOGLAS. We must make everything as hard as Cave allows in the options screen and end our game in the first level endless times, this is the only way we truly accept Cave's ULTIMATE CHALLENGE, and by doing so we can proudly call ourselves REAL GAMERS.

[/sarcasm]
Hey there sweetie, before you get all fussy, realize it's a suggestion. Hence the idea of this thread. I was looking for ideas and suggestions, and ResOGlas's opinion is welcome. If you have an opinion or wish to add to the conversation, please do. If all you have to say it sarcastic putdowns and snide remarks, please go elsewhere as this is not the thread, nor the boards to do it on.

Thanks Res for your help. I'm just trying to get a better grasp on what would be the optimal mode.

TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

Original starts getting difficult for me on parts of level 3 and onward. I just can't see the bullets and when I successfully dodge them, I feel like it is pure luck.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Jedah Doma wrote: Thanks Res for your help. I'm just trying to get a better grasp on what would be the optimal mode.
Right, thank him. Play Ultra on Very Hard as per Resoglas' suggestion (he states that's the only "*real* mode"), and shut the fuck up.
Jedah Doma

Post by Jedah Doma »

twe wrote:
Jedah Doma wrote: Thanks Res for your help. I'm just trying to get a better grasp on what would be the optimal mode.
Right, thank him. Play Ultra on Very Hard as per Resoglas' suggestion (he states that's the only "*real* mode"), and shut the fuck up.
I asked for his opinion and he gave it to me. Please let me know what I'm missing. I wanted opinions and thoughts, he gave me his opinions and thoughts. That was the point of this thread. Just because don't like Ultra on Very Hard doesn't mean it's an invalid option. It seems very easy for you to tear down others in your snide and vulgar remarks. You're not impressing anyone with your putdowns and language. This isn't the place to bash people.
Forum Rules wrote:Please don't start flamewars for the sake of it, we will put them out. Heated discussion happens, people have different opinions, but it's obvious when someone is purely out to cause trouble.
Clearly you have no respect nor courtesy for Res or me. Your snide and sarcastic remarks mixed with your vulagr language is notlooked highly upon by this board. If you have a problem with the rules of these boards, you can take it up with one of the mods. I'm sure they would be happy to give you clarification on anything you are confused on. If you have nothing more to contribute to this thread then childish remarks and swearing, please go elsewhere. If you continue to try to derail this thread with personal attacks and foul language, I will make sure to inform a moderator and let them know about the situation.

Back, yet again, on subject, I'm going to try some Maniac and Ultra tonight. I really want to try and figure out what my groove is. I've stuck with arrange so much that I haven't played around with the other modes much. Thanks again for the help guys.

EOJ

Post by EOJ »

It's always lovely when people quote forum rules. :lol: I've been here much longer than you, show some respect and stop being such a pedantic shmuck. Resoglas is aggravating because he states his opinion in a very 'high and mighty' way, for example he said Ultra on Very Hard is the only "real mode". Such comments, after awhile, induce sarcastic replies from those like myself who are sick of it. Look in other threads, other people here have recently termed Resoglas an "idiot".

BTW I jumped on you because you called me "sweetie". I'd suggest you refrain from doing that again in the future. :?

And for the record the topic of this thread is arrange mode compared to Original. It has nothing to do with Ultra mode.
Jedah Doma

Post by Jedah Doma »

PM sent to twe as to not derail the thread anymore.

On subject, anymore suggestions would be great. As the first post said, any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Jedah Doma wrote:Words...
ResOGlas' Infamous DDP Thread
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Jedah Doma wrote:PM sent to twe as to not derail the thread anymore.
PM sent right back at you. :?
laurie47

Post by laurie47 »

Yey its neogeo.com all over again.
try playing with your stick upside down, now that is tricky. You could also cut 2 to 3 fingers of each hand and try to get through the game before you bleed to death,
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

Dave_K. wrote: Damn, I can't get better than 325 milliseconds.
me too, i'm going to blame it on the internet connection.
PepsimanVsJoe

Whoops

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

I'm still waiting on vids of this guy in action.
I can barely 1CC my way to stage 5 of DDP and I play on defaults and MAME on top of that!

I am a sad poor soul.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

So I thought I beat arrange the other night, then along came the FINAL last boss. I lost all my lives without taking 1/6th of its health. Just walls of really really intricate patterns, it was all a bit too much. Kinda gave up on arrange after that.

Apart from that original is definetly harder, I'm starting to get used to some of the parts though. Its all about knowing(memorising) the big bullet spreads. Stage 5 isnt so bad once you know where to be to take out those big plants that clear the bullets when killed. But yea some of it is just too fast for me!
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

225 here as well. Like, 9 out of ten times. Weird.
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

275 milliseconds.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

twe wrote:
Jedah Doma wrote:PM sent to twe as to not derail the thread anymore.
PM sent right back at you. :?
Image VS Image
HEAVEN OR HELL? LET'S ROCK!!

In other news, I averaged 375 on that test. No wonder I still haven't racked up a 1CC for anything besides Psyvariar. Damn faulty wiring...in my brain!
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

'The accuracy depends entirely on your computer and on your internet browser, but is most likely much better than this resolution.'

I mostly get 275
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

protip: while waiting for the switch, click on the 'Detect' button and hold down the mouse button. When the switch occurs, release the mouse button. Now you've got your score minus mouse related lag, because the test apparently doesn't count your mouse click until the upstroke.

I suspect it treats all values less than 225 milliseconds as 225 milliseconds, too. Or, it just might be 225 is as fast as I can go and I'm just really consistent

EDIT: er, 225, not 250
landshark

Post by landshark »

howmuchkeefe wrote: I suspect it treats all values less than 225 milliseconds as 225 milliseconds, too. Or, it just might be 225 is as fast as I can go and I'm just really consistent

EDIT: er, 225, not 250
The possible values you can get are (from the source code):

Code: Select all

setTimeout("endWait(25)",50)
  setTimeout("endWait(75)",100)
  setTimeout("endWait(125)",150)
  setTimeout("endWait(175)",200)
  setTimeout("endWait(225)",250)
  setTimeout("endWait(275)",300)
  setTimeout("endWait(325)",350)
  setTimeout("endWait(375)",400)
  setTimeout("endWait(425)",450)
  setTimeout("endWait(475)",500)
  setTimeout("endWait(525)",550)
  setTimeout("endWait(575)",600)
  setTimeout("endWait(625)",650)
  setTimeout("endWait(675)",700)
  setTimeout("endWait(725)",750)
  setTimeout("endWait(775)",800)
  setTimeout("endWait(825)",850)
  setTimeout("endWait(875)",900)
  setTimeout("endWait(925)",950)
  setTimeout("lastWait()",1000)
So unless you can drop another 50 ms or so off your time, yer stuck at 225. This is not at all an accurate test.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.