Ibara PCB help ..fast :(

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
S1nn3r

Ibara PCB help ..fast :(

Post by S1nn3r »

Finaly got my D-Lite supergun but am haveing a huge amount of technical problems ..

Game freezes/locks up

No sound at all on multiple speaker sets and with 2 diffrent sets of cables for speakers.

I had/have 2 Comadore 1084 monitors as backups in case the main LCD display i wanted to use didnt work out.. however when running composite though them all i get is a black and white picture.

On my main LCD that i had hoped to use the image is upside down as everently its built in rotation is the wrong way around for ibara.
S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

So basicly I bought the wrong supergun ? .. fantastic.

What about the other issues, namely the freezing up thing.. that realy has me concerned. I think it may have something to do with the board not likeing being turned on/off to often maybe ?
sven666

Re: Ibara PCB help ..fast :(

Post by sven666 »

S1nn3r wrote:Finaly got my D-Lite supergun but am haveing a huge amount of technical problems ..

Game freezes/locks up

No sound at all on multiple speaker sets and with 2 diffrent sets of cables for speakers.

I had/have 2 Comadore 1084 monitors as backups in case the main LCD display i wanted to use didnt work out.. however when running composite though them all i get is a black and white picture.

On my main LCD that i had hoped to use the image is upside down as everently its built in rotation is the wrong way around for ibara.
game freezing/lock up - voltage issue most likeley, may also be caused by a short circuit if indeed the sound pins are different from standard jamma.

sound - im not sure, maybe Ibara has a special wireing for stereo sound, sounds like youre getting straight jamma (ie mono) sound now, thats normal, if you have the manual check the ibara connector schematics vs the supergun connector schematics.

composit + PCBs = no no!, RGB or component my friend.

Ibara rotation = all the cave PCBs have this rotation so its your LCD thats rotated the wrong way ;)

all these issues can be fixed, dont worry you didnt buy the wrong supergun (unless it ONLY has composit out :x )...
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

Voltage issue..doesnt sound good at all, and I have no idea how id go about fixing this.. infact i couldnt, id have to get/find someone else to do so, and in the mean time id rather not use the board for fear of damage, that is unless it hasnt already done so of corse ...

I am not getting sound at all .. mono or otherwise. And since the instructions for ibara including the pinout stuff is in japanese i have no way to check it against a standard jamma pinout.

Supergun has composite and s-video. Reason I didnt go RGB is the main display i wanted to use doesnt have SCART.. this would be the aformentioned wrongly rotateing LCD to which makes it all the more depressing.

So it would seem my first steps into the "arcade at home" thing have gone realy rather wrong indeed.
S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

Anyone able to provide me with a translation of the connector pinout information on the ibara kit instruction sheet ? so i can see if it is indeed standard jamma layout for the audio ?
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Ibara has standard JAMMA audio of course. It ran fine on both of the D-lite guns I owned in the past.
S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

So as far as the audio goes its more then likely the attenuation circuit that is is causeing the problems then, and that in turn means that the freezing is most likely caused by a voltage issue of some kind...

What is required to fix these two problems exactly ?.... and i do mean exactly, since if i am geting any soldering work done localy i will have to provide explicit to the letter instructions as to what needs done and how. As i am unable skill wise and not equiped to do such work myself.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

Oh right, I forgot. :oops: I did have probs with D-lites guns playing sound with Ibara and the other Cave SH3 games. One way I got it to work was connecting the board while the gun was ON (be careful if you try that, you don't want to get electrocuted). The other gun I had had an attentuation on/off switch, so I just had to flick this switch after I powered on the gun for the sound to come through.

A third option is to open the gun and disconnect the audio attenuation. I don't really know why he put that in his guns as it causes more problems than it solves.
S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

Ok so it looks like im on the way to getting a fix for the sound issues.

However this still leaves the rather thorny issue of the intermittent freezing ...
zakk

Post by zakk »

As others have said, the freezing may be voltage related. Most arcade power supplies allow you to adjust the 5V voltage. I dunno what type of power supply your supergun uses though, so I have no idea if you can even adjust that.
PC Engine Fan X!

Possible cures for your ailing Supergun woes...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For S1nn3r,

Are you using either a true arcade power supply unit or a PC-type of PSU? (If you are using a PC-type of PSU, then it wouldn't be possible to adjust the 5v line anyways...)

Some arcade PCBs are finicky when it comes to the 5v line, too little of it and your PCBs will end up glitching and freezing up. Now if you do have a "true" arcade power supply unit that powers up your Supergun setup, then by using a voltameter, measure the 5v line on the Jamma pinout edge connection interface to show just how much "5v" is really being put out. Then try it again with your Ibara PCB plugged in + powered up and measure again what the 5v line currently registers. Slowly adjust the 5v pot (with a flat-head screwdriver or slotted Philips screwdriver) on your Supergun's PSU until your Ibara PCB stops freezing up & runs normally without those freezing up issues -- problem solved. ^_~

You might as well either pick up an XRGB-2+ or the XRGB-3 upscan convertor to have analog RGB extracted from your Supergun to properly display on such LCD-type of monitor. Otherwise, like sven666 has mentioned, go with analog RGB or component video output when dealing with Superguns for the best picture output-wise.

I have two different Superguns and they both output in analog RGB and is piped through an Japanese RGB 21-pin cable interface which is then plugged into an XRGB-2 upscan convertor hooked up to an analog CRT-type SVGA monitor setup. Of course, for the best picture, one would resort to a true low-resolution 15kHz monitor that is capable of accepting analog RGB input signal (i.e. the Commodore Amiga monitors) and bypass the XRGB upscan convertor & SVGA monitor setup entirely. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S1nn3r

Re: Possible cures for your ailing Supergun woes...

Post by S1nn3r »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:For S1nn3r,

Are you using either a true arcade power supply unit or a PC-type of PSU? (If you are using a PC-type of PSU, then it wouldn't be possible to adjust the 5v line anyways...)

Some arcade PCBs are finicky when it comes to the 5v line, too little of it and your PCBs will end up glitching and freezing up. Now if you do have a "true" arcade power supply unit that powers up your Supergun setup, then by using a voltameter, measure the 5v line on the Jamma pinout edge connection interface to show just how much "5v" is really being put out. Then try it again with your Ibara PCB plugged in + powered up and measure again what the 5v line currently registers. Slowly adjust the 5v pot on your Supergun until your Ibara stops freezing up and runs normally without those freezing up issues -- problem solved. ^_~

You might as well either pick up an XRGB-2+ or the XRGB-3 upscan convertor to have analog RGB extracted from your Supergun to properly display on such LCD-type of monitor. Otherwise, like sven666 has mentioned, go with analog RGB or component video output when dealing with Superguns for the best picture output-wise.

I have two different Superguns and they both output in analog RGB and is piped through an Japanese RGB 21-pinout into an XRGB-2 upscan convertor into an analog CRT-type SVGA monitor setup. Of course, for the best picture, one would resort to a true low-resolution 15kHz monitor that is capable of accepting analog RGB input signal (i.e. the Commodore Amiga monitors).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
The PSU for the Supergun is a small laptop style brick style one.. not user modifiable at all.
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Possible cures for your ailing Supergun woes...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

S1nn3r wrote:
PC Engine Fan X! wrote:For S1nn3r,

Some arcade PCBs are finicky when it comes to the 5v line, too little of it and your PCBs will end up glitching and freezing up. Now if you do have a "true" arcade power supply unit that powers up your Supergun setup, then by using a voltameter, measure the 5v line on the Jamma pinout edge connection interface to show just how much "5v" is really being put out. Then try it again with your Ibara PCB plugged in + powered up and measure again what the 5v line currently registers. Slowly adjust the 5v pot on your Supergun until your Ibara stops freezing up and runs normally without those freezing up issues -- problem solved. ^_~

I have two different Superguns and they both output in analog RGB and is piped through an Japanese RGB 21-pinout into an XRGB-2 upscan convertor into an analog CRT-type SVGA monitor setup. Of course, for the best picture, one would resort to a true low-resolution 15kHz monitor that is capable of accepting analog RGB input signal (i.e. the Commodore Amiga monitors).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
The PSU for the Supergun is a small laptop style brick style one.. not user modifiable at all.
For S1nn3r,

What you described to me is what is known as a PC-type of PSU -- they have their positive and negative merits to powering up such Supergun setups.

What you really need is a PSU that is dedicated to powering up arcade PCBs and has an adjustable 5 volt pot so it can increased or decreased (depending on the particular arcade PCB's 5v tempermental needs at the moment). It's time to search "high & low" for a true arcade PSU for your Supergun and you'll be able to play your precious Ibara PCB in no time flat. My suggestion is to get rid of that dreaded PC-type of PSU for good. Good luck on finding an arcade PCB specific PSU... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MKL

Post by MKL »

Despite what most people think desktop PSUs often have an adjustable knob, it's just not accessible if you don't open thtm up. I'm pretty positive your supergun uses either a SW300 or an SC200 Ault PSU. In this thread I showed the knob on the SW300. If you have the SC200 open it up (unplug it first!) and if you're not sure post pics.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114650
S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

MKL wrote:Despite what most people think desktop PSUs often have an adjustable knob, it's just not accessible if you don't open thtm up. I'm pretty positive your supergun uses either a SW300 or an SC200 Ault PSU. In this thread I showed the knob on the SW300. If you have the SC200 open it up (unplug it first!) and if you're not sure post pics.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114650
Seems i have an SC200. Anyone able to supply me with a pic of what needs adjusted exactly ?
MKL

Post by MKL »

I don't have an sc200 at the moment. Can't you make a pic of yours so that I can edit it and show you the knob (if any)?
S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

Ill open it up tomorrow and see whats in there.
S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

Decided to open the PSU just now, hit a bit of a snag however as i have undone the one screw, but the cover wont come off .. also now there is something loose rattleing around inside, probibly something to do with the screw,maybe a washer or something ..
S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

Got it open.. little bastard is tough heh.

Ok there is one Pot inside marked VR1 on the PCB.

I will attempt to get some pictures and add them to this post tomorrow.

EDIT - Pic below ..

S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

A bump for the edit of post above.
MKL

Post by MKL »

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3272/2ez7pn9ql1.jpg

Run the supergun setup with the PSU shell off and measure the voltage at the jamma edge connector (on the PCB). If it's below 5.00 turn the knob (right or left is unknown until you try) slowly with a crosshead screwdriver (be careful not to touch other things in the PSU) while reading the voltage on the multimeter and stop at 5.05/5.10. If it doesn't fix the reset raise it again a little but don't go over 5.30.