arcade shmups tournament in sweden 30th nov

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
sven666

arcade shmups tournament in sweden 30th nov

Post by sven666 »

yupp, its time for the worlds biggest LAN party again and as usual im there working the arcade.
this summer was a big success with about 30 machines and thousands of visitors, it wont be any less thistime:)

im working the shmups section and as usual there will be a tournament.
I havent decided what games will play yet but one is certain and that is the awesome Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black label which is making its swedish debute.

30th november to 3 december in jönköping sweden.
http://www.dreamhack.se
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
sven666

Post by sven666 »

results of the tournament, MLK was the winner and defending champion, caught himself a snazzy Cave tshirt :)

some more pics from the event..

intense mushi!

intense shmup-player, fsFreak.

some of our setup, sadly many pics were lost from my camera :?: :(

definitive proof that Dimahoo is indeed for girls! Alex placed 4th in the tourney too :)

average skills of attendees, altho both games were frequently played (thats black label btw) :)

exchangeing favours with the resident Wii personel 8) (heres hopeing sweaty pictures of me whacking virtual tennisballs never-ever show up! :oops: )
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I like the quad cabinet setup. Nicely done representing shmups.
bay

Post by bay »

i keep telling myself i wanna goto this, but i never make it.

be there next year and i'll do my best to show up for once.

gotta get a crew from the usa to come over with me..
sven666

Post by sven666 »

yeah, dreamhack is (besides all the fantastic arcademachines) the worlds biggest LAN party, with over 10000 computers and just about everything that comes with that aswell.. shitloads of videogames, roleplaying, merch, anime etc aswell, so theres plenty of reasons to visit :)

twice a year, during smmer and during winter.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

http://www.megaupload.com/se/?d=CJGBMCP5

a film shot by me of xipe playing mushi.. funny commentary (in swedish) as always :)
Mills

Post by Mills »

Looks like a fun event to attend.
Franz the Stampede

Post by Franz the Stampede »

det bra!

:D
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Franz the Stampede wrote:det bra!

:D
det var bra ;)

and yeah it sure was :)
tuoma

Post by tuoma »

What the hell, why haven't i heard of this before.
Don't care about the LAN-section but i had never heard of the shmupping before...

And off topic, you wouldn't happen to know of any arcades with good games in Sweden? Preferebly in Malmo...
sven666

Post by sven666 »

tuoma wrote:What the hell, why haven't i heard of this before.
Don't care about the LAN-section but i had never heard of the shmupping before...

And off topic, you wouldn't happen to know of any arcades with good games in Sweden? Preferebly in Malmo...
well this has become a regular event now so im not sure how you can have missed it, it is fairly well adverticed aswell..? atleast now you know so dont miss next dreamhack when well be right back at it ;)

there was only one good arcade in all of sweden, and unfortunatley we have now closed down :( but we still do events like dreamhack and uppcon :)
Shocky

Post by Shocky »

sven666 wrote: there was only one good arcade in all of sweden, and unfortunatley we have now closed down :( but we still do events like dreamhack and uppcon :)
May I ask why you closed down? People weren't interested / logistics was expensive? Because every now and then I'm planning of starting an arcade here in Helsinki. I believe that there would still be a market niche for it, if done right. Less than ten years ago we had a Neo-Geo land and at least three other arcades with the latest games and some old classics, but now... NOTHING! Just some random games in movie theater lobbies etc. I don't know which caused this extinction, the rise of home consoles or bad management.
Before Pope John Paul died he decreed that Aliens were also GOD's creatures and we should treat them with respect.

sven666

Post by sven666 »

Shocky wrote: May I ask why you closed down? People weren't interested / logistics was expensive? Because every now and then I'm planning of starting an arcade here in Helsinki. I believe that there would still be a market niche for it, if done right. Less than ten years ago we had a Neo-Geo land and at least three other arcades with the latest games and some old classics, but now... NOTHING! Just some random games in movie theater lobbies etc. I don't know which caused this extinction, the rise of home consoles or bad management.
simply put we have no real skill-game culture in this country, id even dare say on this continent..

people arent interested in practicing any skills in any one game
or
people are interested but to cheap/lazy to come and play.

we had a very cheap system of operating where you simply paid $15 in admission and then all the games were set to freeplay, stay as long as you like.
basically we tried to lure in as many as possible with low prices, and we had a steady crowd of 20-30 people (all bemani/sf33s players) who would show up every weekend but that was it.

say we pulled in $500 on a good weekend, with about $1000 rent and the cost of the machines (not to mention we were there all weekend AND i paid for all the PCBs myself) it doesnt take long before you tire of working your ass of for pennies IF you even get a profit.. :(

there is a fairly good market for working events tho (if you can get a good and exclusive rights) which is what the other guys do nowdays :) im out of the arcade buisness aside from trading PCBs.. but im glad as hell i gave it a shot!! :)

if youre thinking of starting an arcade you have to pour alot of money and work into it, sometimes you'll hate it but strolling around after hours with it all to yourself or haveing parties with friends makes it all worth it!, aslong as you dont get into debt or any other uncomfortable situation id say go for it! :)
tuoma

Post by tuoma »

Can you post that video again somewhere? All slots taken for sweden..
Also, if you want to have an arcade nowadays you HAVE to combine it with an internet café and probibly something else if you are even thinking about making some money. Maybe more like an internet café with arcades on the side... Maybe some games just below DoDonpachi in difficulty would help too.

Känns konstigt att skriva på engelska med en svensk..
sven666

Post by sven666 »

internetcafe wont work either, our funloving ( :roll: ) government has outlawed not only all gambling machines but now computers at internetcafes fall under that category too. basically there is a shitload of fees to be paid if you want to use these things in anykind of conventional manner... enough to stop any thoughts of a buisness dead in its tracks :?

if you read the law hard enough on gambling machines youll actually find that its a possibility that its illegal to even own an arcade machine or pinball machine even for personal use.. :!:

sorry bout the vid, i have no other means to upload it.

..lite konstigt kanske men man vänjer sig, rätt drygt när folk skriver på olika språk i internationella forum :P