Possible to use a Hori GC pad on PS2?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Monk 0 Nuggets

Possible to use a Hori GC pad on PS2?

Post by Monk 0 Nuggets »

Is it possible? If so, where can I find an adapter?
Monk 0 Nuggets

Post by Monk 0 Nuggets »

I got my Hori digital GC pad in the mail today. Stoked.
grahf

Post by grahf »

sorry, cant answer your question. But it is a badass pad. I need to pick up a few more games to make use of it.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I have never come across such an adaptor. I don't think anyone has bothered to make a Cube->PS2 adaptor due to a problem of incomplete button mapping, analogue buttons, and a general opinion that a standard Cube controller is sub-optimal for non-Nintendo games (which is basically the entire PS2 library, and wait for it.... most of the Cube library! OMFGLOL).

I used to have a Hori digital controller though. It was better than the standard controller, but better than sucky isn't saying much. The face button layout is still stupid, and the D-pad hurts. Anyone who thinks it's a great D-pad has never played a Saturn.

Anyway, I don't think there's any plug-and-play solution. You'll have to do some hacking if you're desperate, and even then, you're better off hacking a Saturn pad.
Monk 0 Nuggets

Post by Monk 0 Nuggets »

Thats a bummer. This may sound appalling, but I've never even seen a sega saturn before! haha. I actually don't really mind the cube controller setup. It took a little getting use to, but I like it now. The d-pad is shitty, but the rest now feels pretty natural.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

No worries. I purposely made my last post sound anti-Nintendo fanboyish.

It's really not that bad until you start trying to push face button combinations not involving "A". Also, the D-pad only hurts if you're a thumb-slider like myself, instead of keeping your thumb in the middle and rocking it around.

At any rate, it's nice to go back to using a low-profile controller that isn't the size of a semi-trailer with handles and other bulky crap.