RQ: ESPGaluda final boss

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Palmer Eldritch
Location: Surfing the center of a superstring, headed upreality...

RQ: ESPGaluda final boss

Post by Palmer Eldritch »

I managed to beat ESPGaluda for the second time ever, last night.

The final boss (or form of him) is this cube-thing. The thing is, that I´ve beat him, but I don´t actually know how.
Whenever I use some of the more powerful shots on him or go into kakusei mode, I actually bring him energy.
What I´ve done is basically position myself in the lower right corner, evade everything and just keep shooting regular shots. Eventually the boss will overload or something, but is there an easier way to do this?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

IIRC only your regular shots hurt it (kakusei shots do nothing, and bombing heals it), so pretty much all you can do is keep at it with your regular ol' shots, and only use your other stuff if you need a moment to catch your breath. As for best dodging techniques, no way I'm good enough to figure them out, heh heh.
Palmer Eldritch

That´s what I thought. Am I right in assuming that the boss energy-bar really isn´t any help whatsoever here, because you can defeat him even while it´s full?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Palmer Eldritch wrote:Am I right in assuming that the boss energy-bar really isn´t any help whatsoever here, because you can defeat him even while it´s full?
I'm not 100 percent sure what you mean here...far as I remember you've just got to keep shooting at him till his life bar's empty, same as any other boss.
zakk

Post by zakk »

BulletMagnet wrote:IIRC only your regular shots hurt it (kakusei shots do nothing, and bombing heals it), so pretty much all you can do is keep at it with your regular ol' shots, and only use your other stuff if you need a moment to catch your breath. As for best dodging techniques, no way I'm good enough to figure them out, heh heh.

Kakusei shots DO damage, just really really slow. Only really useful right at the point of boss death if you want to convert the bullets to gold.
Palmer Eldritch

BulletMagnet wrote:
Palmer Eldritch wrote:Am I right in assuming that the boss energy-bar really isn´t any help whatsoever here, because you can defeat him even while it´s full?
I'm not 100 percent sure what you mean here...far as I remember you've just got to keep shooting at him till his life bar's empty, same as any other boss.
Nope. You can take him out with full energy-bar...
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

I assume you're just timing out the boss, which would be way harder then actually killing him. Try shooting him.
Palmer Eldritch

MrMonkeyMan wrote:I assume you're just timing out the boss, which would be way harder then actually killing him. Try shooting him.
I´m hitting him diagonally :lol:
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Moved to Strategy, changed the title to reflect this.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

YouTube vid of last stage and boss using ageha (don't know who the player is)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF2IP1NFiKU

The replays the game gives you are better than this though, have you not watched them yet?
Palmer Eldritch

freddiebamboo wrote:The replays the game gives you are better than this though, have you not watched them yet?
Nope. I´ve had the game for 2 years now, so perhaps it time I give it a try :D
Narroo

Re: RQ: ESPGaluda final boss

Post by Narroo »

Anyone else think the final boss is anticlimactic?
Siren2011
Banned User

Post by Siren2011 »

anyone else think the final boss is anticlimactic?
Not from where I'm standing...Jakou was tougher than all of the stages combined. His needle bullets during his 2nd to last phase as well as his last attack were both very tough for me. I couldn't imagine a more fitting final boss for that game.

If you want to talk about anticlimactic endings, than remember the Ketsui faux-final boss. I'm sure DOOM is very climactic, but I was unimpressed with EVAC R.O.B.'s design as well as his bullet patterns. Nothing sucks more than 1CCing Ketsui only to be left out of the fight with Evacaneer DOOM. :(
"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
Narroo

Post by Narroo »

Siren2011 wrote:
anyone else think the final boss is anticlimactic?
Not from where I'm standing...Jakou was tougher than all of the stages combined. His needle bullets during his 2nd to last phase as well as his last attack were both very tough for me. I couldn't imagine a more fitting final boss for that game.

If you want to talk about anticlimactic endings, than remember the Ketsui faux-final boss. I'm sure DOOM is very climactic, but I was unimpressed with EVAC R.O.B.'s design as well as his bullet patterns. Nothing sucks more than 1CCing Ketsui only to be left out of the fight with Evacaneer DOOM. :(
Hm, I was actually thinking of the part where he encases himself in a cube, and does a relatively easy, but long, pattern. The parts before that were good though. I just think that the fight ends on an anticlimax. Also, Ketsui's faux final boss is much worse, I agree.
TonK

Post by TonK »

Glad I read this.

I honestly just signed on looking for this info.

First page, awesome!

Back to the grind tomorrow - wish me luck.
Siren2011
Banned User

Post by Siren2011 »

Best of luck to you TonK. I know this game nearly inside and out, but I've never defeated the crystal form of the final boss. It's discouraging because I don't like playing through the first four stages after playing them hundreds of times, so I usually end up getting owned on my first encounter with his final boss phase, then give up and not play again for months.
"Too kawaii to live, too sugoi to die. Trapped in a moe~ existence"
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

My tip: whenever you know you're about to die, hit and release the barrier button but make sure you go to the edge of the screen so the blast won't hit the boss. Don't hold the button at all, just a quick blast. With a full energy stock, this will give you roughly five blasts, but you shouldn't need 'em all.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
TonK

Post by TonK »

emphatic wrote:My tip: whenever you know you're about to die, hit and release the barrier button but make sure you go to the edge of the screen so the blast won't hit the boss. Don't hold the button at all, just a quick blast. With a full energy stock, this will give you roughly five blasts, but you shouldn't need 'em all.
Nice - I gave up, but I'm going back to this.

I'll try it.
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

emphatic wrote:My tip: whenever you know you're about to die, hit and release the barrier button but make sure you go to the edge of the screen so the blast won't hit the boss. Don't hold the button at all, just a quick blast. With a full energy stock, this will give you roughly five blasts, but you shouldn't need 'em all.
I've only played through this game a few times with continues just to see what it's like and this boss is definitely a formidable threat at my level of play. When I take a stab at this one I'll be sure to remember this tip.
wnka

Post by wnka »

This works really well. Helped me get my 1cc!
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

I just 1cc'd this and while it's fresh in my mind, I want to relate some detail on how to beat Jakou's final form:

Use all of your gems before "Kakusei"/don't use Kakusei shot on him in his final form does little or no damage also if you get hit you'll autobomb and heal Jakou.

emphatic talks about bombing and moving to the side. Keep an eye on your bomb lasers and when they subside, immediately scan the "bullet lattice." It consists of the large blue circle bullets from the side with the needle bullets coming from the top. Very quickly scan and find a spot with less dense bullets and stay there (I usually go near the bottom and in middle) then you can dodge left/right the needle bullets and then when there's enough space, you can weave back and forth (not too much) between the blue circle shots. Then bomb when things get tough, quickly scan, and repeat. As time goes on the blue circle bullet pattern gets less tight/starts rotating/deforming. Find the large spaces if they are getting smaller/larger and position yourself immediately after you bomb. Then, pay attention to the space between the blue circle bullets and weave in and out accounting for space.

*Remember* tap dodge, tap dodge, tap dodge. It should feel rhythmic, like your tapping out a beat. (EOJ has a great essay about playing shmups like playing music http://www.cave-stg.com/?p=1969) Tap dodging/streaming will shift bullet patterns since they target you/allow you better control of your movement so you don't run into bullets when you are dodging. Another technique is swift/sweep dodging: release (A) hard shot and switch to fast shot (C) move fast through a pattern, then get back to hard (A) shot and tap dodge.

Craig Gabrielsen (BulletMagnet) has a great article on Espgaluda at Hardcore Gaming 101:
http://hardcoregaming101.net/espgaluda/espgaluda.htm

It's not easy, but you too can 1cc Espgaluda! :D

Hope this helps,
--the F-man