How does one rid of greenish tint with RGB setup on PS3?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
PC Engine Fan X!

How does one rid of greenish tint with RGB setup on PS3?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I'm using a 3rd-party Japanese PSX RGB cable on my USA Bios PS3 console with an XRGB-2 setup. Upon playing standard DVDs, a greenish tint comes up when the Japanese RGB signal is fed through the XRGB-2 upscan convertor. Any helpful suggestions to rid of this ugly "greenish tint" when playing standard movie DVDs on a PS3 using Japanese RGB setup?

And will this same "greenish tint" appear if watching "Blu-Ray" based DVDs if using the same setup with Japanese RGB cable and XRGB-2 setup? (I don't have any Blu-Ray based movie DVDs right now...so I can't test to see if this will have the same problem as with standard movie DVDs.)

I have tried using a PS2-based Datel's Action Replay boot disc with DVD Region X drivers along with a Action Replay dongle memory card but it won't boot up properly on a PS3 console and freezing up with a white bootup screen (which requires a total PS3 system shutdown to fix the problem).

The optional PS3 USB memory card unit from SCEI will only recognize 1st party Sony PSX and PS2 memory cards but not 3rd party PSX or PS2 memory cards (such as the above mentioned AR memory card dongle that is required to boot up AR to activate the DVD Region X software that does get rid of the dreaded "greenish" tint when using Japanese 21-pin RGB cable with an XRGB-2 upscan convertor setup along with an PS2 console).

Thanks for your help...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

The green tint was an idiotic "copy protection" by Sony, so you wouldn't be able to copy DVDs to VHS via RGB. The PS3 certainly doesn't have this.

The only way to get rid of this is a mod chip. Most (possibly all) remove it so you can watch DvDs with your PS2. However, I suggest you simply buy a DVD player so you don't put unnecessary stress on your PS2's laser. Nowadays a DVD-player is cheaper than a replacement PS2 laser.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I wonder if DVD Region X would work on this. Doubt it, though.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.