HD tv list;old consoles do not look like crap on PAL HD tv's

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

HD tv list;old consoles do not look like crap on PAL HD tv's

Post by D »

I've read alot of this lately.
Old style games still do look great on new HD tv's
Offcourse there are several factors to keep in mind.
1 You buy a new bigger hd tv and you see more pixelation; duh, your screen is bigger.
2 It will not look like a PS3 or Xbox360; duh
3 Let's not confuse this with the bad backward compatibility of the PS3
4 LCD and plasma screens are made of square pixels and old style crt tv's round everything off a bit better. So with HD tv's you will see a very clear square effect on every pixel. But that's about the only complaint you could have. This is not even a real problem. OK, so it doesn't look exactly like an arcade monitor; too bad.
5 they are widescreen so you have to choose an option to either scale it or leave borders on the side
6 biggger ones are not ideal for tating

So HD tv's are not crap for old games, they are almost as good I dare say. Offcourse for gaming on old systems a big CRT is still the best, but make sure it does have RGB or component inputs then. If you can afford both buy seperate tv's for seperate purposes, but if you can only afford one like and you want to see movies, tv, don't be too scared off. Try before you buy. Don't be scared to take a console to the shop and check out the picture quality. I've seen that most shops make sure that cheaper models are not set up correctly to make them look crapier than the next more expensive model. My tv had the sharpness setting on 100, now it's set to 7. It looked ridiculous on 100 :)
Who can comment on this.
I made this list for people who are scared off. Oh and I suggest you buy a plasma instead of a lcd, but check the resolutions it has to be 720P lo-spec or 1080p hi-spec, make sure you do not have some strange in-between resolution and make sure it has a HDMI-connector or two.
Happy gaming and if anyone has any HD questions let me/us know. I will not be able to answer everything, but I can try and others will let you know their views

Happy gaming everyone
Last edited by D on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

So HD tv's are not crap for old games, they are almost as good I dare say.
They do look worse if they aren't hooked up through a line doubler of some sort. I could swallow the arguement that if the system is hooked up via nothing less than component it looks ok. But i can say 1st hand that my older systems looked awful compared to my SD sony. I have the best CRT made at the size I own, I have talked to a certified TV calibrater about getting him to adjust my TV and he said my TV was the model to replace the one he currently owns.

I can say that the "before and after" of what my older systems looked like AFTER hooking it up via my XRGB2+ is staggering.

Of course this all depends on whatyou had your older systems hooked up to begin with. If you had them hooked up via RF or composite to a zienith or phillips, then HD is going to look better lol.....
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Deckers

Post by Deckers »

Hi, i'm brand new to this forum
i was always reading the X-RGB3 thread, because i still couldn't ge it to work properly

well maybe you where right about it but sure some Old gamesystems do look crap on my TV, especially the NEOGEO
try hooking up your NES to a 37inch LCD tv :p

anyway i better go ask for some help to get my XRGB runnin' -_-
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

i have a xrgb2+... can't speak for the 3rd model
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
D

Post by D »

Deckers wrote:Hi, i'm brand new to this forum
i was always reading the X-RGB3 thread, because i still couldn't ge it to work properly

well maybe you where right about it but sure some Old gamesystems do look crap on my TV, especially the NEOGEO
try hooking up your NES to a 37inch LCD tv :p

anyway i better go ask for some help to get my XRGB runnin' -_-
Sorry I had to include the RGB/Component-factor. Anything below RGB/Component looks crap on anything. Offcrouse it;s just what you're used to. If you don't see a difference in image quality between a pc monitor and a tv then don't bother lokking into other cables
A NES looks crap on anything because it only has RF out right?
Try hooking up a NES to a 37inch CRT. I can't imagine the NEO looking crap though unless something below RGB is used.
And I keep forgetting that RGB is not available in US, sorry.
So this thread is more for EU shmuppers then. :oops:
Deckers

Post by Deckers »

lol
is that for pointing me out :p
i'm from europe , belgium to be correct

getting back to the thread i play SNES and PCengine on my Toshiba LCD TV
and at the top op the screen the image shakes
the same goes for my NEOGEO except then green lines apear here and there :p, and if i hooK it up to a CRT TV and all my problems are gone

anyway i stil need help with my XRGB3 :-/
i'm gonna take some pics and post my problem
i hope someone can figur it out

*edit Ah D your from Holland ^^ didn't see that
D

Post by D »

Deckers wrote:lol
is that for pointing me out :p
i'm from europe , belgium to be correct

getting back to the thread i play SNES and PCengine on my Toshiba LCD TV
and at the top op the screen the image shakes
the same goes for my NEOGEO except then green lines apear here and there :p, and if i hooK it up to a CRT TV and all my problems are gone
Perhaps your tv is bad, why not return your tv instead of buying other equipment. Any console should be displayed correctly on your tv. Take the set back and take the consoles with you and try on another tv.
Or it could be that your tv does not see it as an RGB signal. It could be that the signal which tells your tv it is receiving an RGB signal is tooo weak for the tv to switch to RGB mode. You are using RGB cables I assume. Try looking on AVforums for your type of tv and see if anyone else has the same problems. I had that top screen image shake thing on my old CRT tv :lol: It also went out of sync if more than 50% of the screen was white or light colored, very annoying.