nanao 29" monitor issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bay

nanao 29" monitor issue

Post by bay »

the monitor in my astro city went tonight, after all the real action at least.

the monitor flickered (lost horizontal hold it seems) a couple times in a couple seconds then went black completely.

so is this a cap issue?... power?... any ways to test?

not that im looking forward to it, but i'd like to try fixing it before accepting defeat =p

thanks,
-bay

Code: Select all

MAINBOARD - NANAO 05A00362G1
NECKBOARD - NANAO 05C02108A1
EDIT: board information
Last edited by bay on Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Do the obvious first, make sure the neck board and all connectors are securly seated. Then test with a mulimeter to see if any of the fuses blew. A complete loss of pictures is usually not a cap problem.
bay

Post by bay »

Dave_K. wrote:Do the obvious first, make sure the neck board and all connectors are securly seated. Then test with a mulimeter to see if any of the fuses blew. A complete loss of pictures is usually not a cap problem.
is there any information on the net about these monitors? manuals, etc? any hardcopies that any has that can be scanned?

i'm hoping it will be easy to figure out the components on the neck board.. any pictures around showing the components or are there too many board revisions for these 29" nanaos?

are there fuses on the neck board? if so how many, and whats the best way to determine if the fuses are blown?

what other power related tests can i do on the monitor?

since my monitor is in an astro city, is there a seperate fuse for the monitor as well as board/jamma harness, coin mech, etc?

-------- more stuff ------

so i was looking around and decided to try and get more of a picture of whats going on with the astro city.

1) power to the pcb via jamma is fine
2) power to the marquee light is fine
3) power to the monitor may be fine, when i turn on the cabinet the common whining/hissing of a tv/monitor is present, however the tube stays black.
4) no pcb connected, same thing
4a) no pcb connected on my other cab, results in the tube displaying a gray diagonal pattern that moves.
5) on my astro city power supply all i see is a 4A fuse, doesn't seem to differentiate between any of the devices in the cabinet.

so is there a fuse on the monitor? im sure it's worth checking out, however if i hear the whining/hissing of the monitor coming up does that mean power is getting to the monitor? would there be a seperate fuse to the guns/neck board? versus the main board of the monitor?

does this sound like a flyback problem? =(

EDIT: additional n00b questions..
EDIT: additional observations on astro city
Last edited by bay on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

So did you check all the connectors? Including the ones to the control board under the control panel?

When you open the back door, and turn the machine on, do you see a glow coming from the tube neck?
bay

Post by bay »

Dave_K. wrote:So did you check all the connectors? Including the ones to the control board under the control panel?

When you open the back door, and turn the machine on, do you see a glow coming from the tube neck?
1) all the connectors are secured
2) doing a comparison between the 2 astro cities, the working one i can see an amber glow from the base of the tube neck, the non-working one i do _not_ see an amber glow from the base of the tube neck.
3) the working monitor has static on the screen when on, while the non working monitor does not. the whine/hiss from the monitors do exist on both.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Here's a friendly "be real careful around open monitors" reminder...
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Hmm...no glow probably means a blown fuse on the main board, but thats usually an indication of a bigger problem. I wouldn't mess around with it any more than that. I'd just pull the monitor out and have a tech look it over or simply replace the PCB (or entire monitor). Sorry.
bay

Post by bay »

Dave_K. wrote:Hmm...no glow probably means a blown fuse on the main board, but thats usually an indication of a bigger problem. I wouldn't mess around with it any more than that. I'd just pull the monitor out and have a tech look it over or simply replace the PCB (or entire monitor). Sorry.
your input is appreciated, thanks =)

so i'm looking for a monitor tech on the east coast, nj/ny preferrably that can help me out with this.

anyone know people? anyone know people that know people?

:D
bay

Post by bay »

the fuses are ok on the board, so would it be natural to guess that the issue is with the flyback transformer? or the B+ rail? i gotta find the B+ rail first.. but someone suggested testing it, then testing HOT.

is there any way for me to do tests on the flyback myself? anyone have experience with the B+ and HOT on these mainboards?

secondly, whats the suggested way to clean pcbs (specifically the mainboard and neckboard), they are mad dirty.

thanks! :D

anyone have a monitor tech anywhere in the continental USA that i can send these boards + flyback to for testing?

rtw

Post by rtw »

bay wrote: anyone have a monitor tech anywhere in the continental USA that i can send these boards + flyback to for testing?

I know of this guy in Australia, now that might be a bit far off but you can ask him if he could suggest a remedy.

http://www.jomac.net.au/

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work