best ps2 mod solution?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Battlesmurf

best ps2 mod solution?

Post by Battlesmurf »

Hello!

I am looking for the best ps2 mod solution. I want 100% compatability (or near it).I just purchased an HD loader- will get me most of what I want, but I would also like to play PS1 games (have plenty of imports that I bought waay back in the day that I'd like to dust off). Any personal experiences on what works best? Lol..I'd rather not solder unless i have to . Thanks!

Grant
Xuse

Post by Xuse »

I skipped the loader and mod chip route and just used Swap Magic and Breaker Pro. These two sets allow me to play every game I import. There is no need to break open the case either so the warranty is still valid.

These methods also work for back-ups which is great because I want to keep Mushihimesama and Ibara in mint condition forever!

I use the Magic Key system to swap the disks which is great with the slimline. I don't have much experience with the fat PS2 tools.
Raiden FTW!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Or the best solution would be is to aquire an Japanese Bios PS2 or PStwo Slim console and viola, no more compatilibility problems whatsoever! Plus backwards compatilibility with most PSX game titles save for some particular titles that require the actual PSX hardware to run properly..... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Personally, I use a mod chip. This is truly 100% compatible, as it plays both Japanese and North American PS2 and PS1 games at the push of a (reset) button. It's the ultimate convenience.

A Japanese PS2 will work fine, but again there's an inconvenience should you ever decide to play some North American games.

Don't want to solder? Find someone in your city to do it for you :) Does your city have a craigslist or similar buy & sell? You might even be able to find an already modded system.
SAM

Post by SAM »

iatneH wrote:Personally, I use a mod chip. This is truly 100% compatible, as it plays both Japanese and North American PS2 and PS1 games at the push of a (reset) button. It's the ultimate convenience.
IIRC there are no truly 100% compatible mod option for PS2. Could you change your PS1 load settings (fast loading & improved 3D Grahpic) and then load a PS1 game in this mod? You can't right? I know because my now broken PS2 is moded this way.

Also, what I heard is there is no good mod for the new slim version PS2, the console would suffer from overheat/laser burn out after mod. (That's what I last heard).

I end up with only a Japanese PS2, which I mostly use it as an Audio CD Player, until recently I upgraded my PC's Sound Card. (P.S. - There is no Regional Code for Audio CDs, you can play what ever CDs you like.)

There are also no good mod to get a PS2 playing DVD at RGB out, but well it is not very useful anyway.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
zakk

Post by zakk »

Err, I believe many of the modern modchips fix the 'green screen' issue with DVD playback and RGB just fine.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

For import ps1 i use my actaul ps1+double swap. games work flawlessly, and i can even get anti-mod games with libcrypt working.

For ps2 i use hdlaoder+HDLDumb to install imports. I like not viding my warranty. :)
Cranky

Post by Cranky »

Screw it!! Just mod the bugger. Warranty be fucked! How much are PS2's going to be worth in 12 months anyway? Jack shit I tells ya!
lawnspic

Post by lawnspic »

SAM wrote:
iatneH wrote:Personally, I use a mod chip. This is truly 100% compatible, as it plays both Japanese and North American PS2 and PS1 games at the push of a (reset) button. It's the ultimate convenience.
IIRC there are no truly 100% compatible mod option for PS2. Could you change your PS1 load settings (fast loading & improved 3D Grahpic) and then load a PS1 game in this mod? You can't right? I know because my now broken PS2 is moded this way.

Also, what I heard is there is no good mod for the new slim version PS2, the console would suffer from overheat/laser burn out after mod. (That's what I last heard).

I end up with only a Japanese PS2, which I mostly use it as an Audio CD Player, until recently I upgraded my PC's Sound Card. (P.S. - There is no Regional Code for Audio CDs, you can play what ever CDs you like.)

There are also no good mod to get a PS2 playing DVD at RGB out, but well it is not very useful anyway.

This is not correct i just sold my V12 slimline NTSC ps2 with a DMS for pro mod chip which is second to none to the Matrix infinity (two best chips) also i had a laser diode fix to protect it from the notrious laser burnouts that are common for the v12(first slimlines made) i had it two years and work perfect. the chip also had an onboard os and could force PAL to NTSC quite well. Go to the DMS forums and look for Dave Bere he is the best installer on the planet, he got pics of all his installs, very impressive. Very reliable and personable. Good luck

here is an example

http://web02063.prolocation.net/phpBB2/ ... 82&start=0

dont mind the thread just contact him via email, some a hole is spamming his thread