GD: Radio Zonde

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
shiftace

GD: Radio Zonde

Post by shiftace »

All the good info on this game is in Japanese; let's try to change that.

Radio Zonde is made by a doujin group called Inudon Empire. The latest version is 1.41, and the full game is available for free. It's almost complete. It is completely playable, but the menus look unfinished, and 2 of the characters default to infinite lives.

Everyone agrees the game is -hard-. The game system gives the player a lot of advantages -- weapons always available, frequent-enough extends, a 2x2 pixel hitbox, even a rechargeable shield -- and it compensates for all that in the difficulty of the enemy attacks. Add to that complex scoring and controls, and the game's all but impossible. Especially if you can't read Japanese. There's a helpful HTML manual included with the game, and a great website by OnesDouble, all JP only. I learned a bunch by watching a couple of the replays at that site.

In any case, in hopes of making the game more accessible, I'd like to talk about game mechanics and the 6 ships. Most of this comes from observing and playing a lot. Some wild guesses about scoring will be mixed in.

Links
v1.41 download from Vector
v1.41 graphics fix for beginning of stage 1
Inudon Empire - they made Radio Zonde, Hellsinker, and a fighting game called Dogma.
OnesDouble's Radio Zonde site - Partial game guide, instructions, hundreds of screenshots, replays. Also has replays for Hellsinker and Touhou 6-8.

Mechanics

- Energy: There's an orange gauge in the top left of the screen that serves as shield and weapon energy. WLS/USE ships have special weapons that consume this energy; EDS ships do not. Energy is recovered in the following ways: Not moving, buzzing shots, collecting green gems, and getting an extend. It also recovers very slowly no matter what. Getting hit will cause you to lose some (usually all) of this energy or to simply die, depending on what you hit and how much energy you have.
- Bomb: The blue gauge is for the bomb/overdrive attack. It appears to recharge only as you shoot things.
- Signal Stability: This gauge is normally green, but it slowly becomes red if you press a fire button and a movement button at the same time; some attacks have a stronger effect (bad) than others. Stability is also affected by powerups, collisions, and successful hits. It contributes a score multiplier of 0-9 to every enemy killed.
- Combo system: The blue gauge on the bottom left is a combo timer. It drops faster if you move or shoot. It is raised a little by buzzing, more by green powerups, and completely by getting a blue powerup or killing something. Each kill in a combo increments the Blood counter, which increases the meter's drain rate, and it adds a variable amount to the Inherited counter. The Inherited value is added to the value of every enemy killed (after the multiplier from Clock/Stability is applied). If the combo gauge is lost, then the Inherited value drains slowly, maybe exponentially, making it useful to break combos at planned times. The initial drain rate may depend on the Blood value.
- Small green gems: They follow your ship. If you can avoid them for a second or two, they transform and are worth more energy and points.
- Extends: First occurs at 25 million, rest occur every 28 million thereafter.
- Stage timer: The vertical blue bar is the stage timer. It has an /effect on some bosses. I don't think it ever has a chance to run out.
- Clock: The primary determinant of enemy point values. It ranges from 100%-9,999%, but its effect is only about 1-15x. It is raised by buzzing, shooting things, and powerups (maybe others). It decreases slowly with time, by about 200% upon Pains, and by 1/2 its value upon Deaths. The mapping from Clock to multiplier is piecewise linear with the following endpoints:

Code: Select all

100% -> 1x
   500% -> 5x
 1,000% -> 6x
10,000% -> 15x (unattainable)
- Sol/Luna/Stella: These are scoring categories, corresponding roughly to offense/defense/items.
- End of stage bonus: Bonuses are given (Stages 1-8 and X_Psy) for clock %, remaining energy, and fight duration. They are multiplied by a factor from 0-24 that depends on Deaths and Pains. The multiplier is approximately ( 20 - 4 x (# deaths) - (# pains) / 2 ), or ( 24 - (# pains) / 2) with no deaths.

Game Modes
- Touring: Regular game. Play [Stage 1 or Breakin], Path 1, [Stage 2 or Stage 3 or Stage 4], Path 2, [Stage 5 or Stage 6 or Overhaul], Stage 7, Stage 8.
- X_Psy: Practice boss fight with infinite lives.
- U_T_N: Survive for a fixed time; infinite lives. There is an invincible enemy that flies sideways figure eights; you can shoot it for powerups and bomb charging.
- Breakin/Overhaul: Simple practice stages. Playing them can make Touring easier, but they aren't worth a lot of points. And they don't get you out of Stages 7-8...
- Path 1/2: Short stages. Near the end of these, the screen will be divided into colored vertical bars with a number in each one. In Touring mode, this indicates the next stage you will play.
- Stage 1-8: See Touring.

Misc.

- Replays: A replay is recorded automatically whenever a stage is selected with a specific ship, and the existing replay is silently overwritten. Touring mode does not overwrite single-stage replays. The replay file is a huge, fixed-length buffer that can be compressed really really well.
- Aborting: Hold Esc for 5 seconds to skip to the end of a level. This gives you an opportunity to peek at the next one or to quit playing.

Ships

This is the part I originally wanted to write up, behavior/weapon descriptions for the playable ships. There are 4 weapon buttons, bound to ZXCV. V is always for bomb. There are 4 movement speeds: normal, slow, very slow, and stopped. Most ships default to normal speed when not firing. There are probably mistakes in these speed comments.

Type WLS: Human characters. They have a modal attack system and seem to have either a wider buzz radius or faster recharging from buzz than the other ships. The WLS bomb creates a small, immobile circle that is protected from bullets. If the bomb was created in attack mode 1, then the circle reflects bullets. In attack mode 2, the circle instead fires enhanced versions of regular weapons from either mode.

WLS-003 Mahilo
Mode Change: X in either mode. Mode 2 causes slow motion.
Main shot: Z in mode 1. Looks like DDP type A. The main beam wiggles a little bit. Causes slow motion.
Zapper: Tap Z in mode 1. Must be activated by not firing for a second. There is a sound when it is ready, and the character flashes white. Two green shots appear beside/behind Mahilo and move upward very fast. They slow down when they hit something.
Quad shot: Z in mode 2. Fires heave shots about 30 deg. And 60 deg. off vertical.
Cluster Bomb: Hold Z, tap C in mode 2. Fires a small bomb forward, explodes on impact. Turns bullets into gems. Costs 33% energy.
Sword: C in either mode. Damages anything at very close range. Turns bullets into gems.

WLS-004 Yoxola
Mode Change: X in either mode. Mode 2 causes slow motion.
Main shot: Z in mode 1. Slightly spreading shot. Causes slow motion.
Side shot: Hold Z, press X in mode 1. Like main shot, but sideways. Causes slow motion.
Quad shot: Tap Z in mode 1. Must be activated by not firing for a second. There is a sound when it is ready, and the character flashes white. Fires 4 slow, piercing shots in same direction as Mahilo's quad.
Beam: Z in mode 2. Fires instantaneous, piercing beam forward.
Wide Beam: Hold Z, tap C in mode 2. Fires a set of beams that cover the whole front quadrant. Turns bullets into gems. Costs 75% energy.
Spear: C in either mode. Has short forward range, very short backward range. Turns bullets into gems.

Type USE: Crystal-looking ships. The USE bomb causes heavy damage to everything for about a second and cancels bullets.

USE-01W Nyphn
Single shot: Tap Z. Fires a single, fast shot. Not sure if it's stronger than the double shot.
Double shot: Hold Z. Like single shot, but slower and maybe weaker. Causes slow motion.
Quad shot: Hold X. Fires piercing shots to all 4 diagonals, parallel to play field's main diagonals.
Curve shot: Press Z+X. Fires 4 shots that start along forward diagonals, turn inward, and cross. Leaves an explosion on impact.
Side spear: Tap C. Fires a long blast to either side. Turns bullets into gems. Costs 25% energy.

USE-01L Gophn
3-way/green: Hold Z. Fires a piercing beam forward and a beam at each target. The beam aimed at green is slightly stronger. Causes slow motion for the player and normal motion for the green target.
3-way/red: Hold X. Similar to 3-way/green, but the beam aimed at red is stronger now, and it causes stopped motion for the player. Re-targets any active 8-way shots to the red target.
Reset: Press Z+X. Returns both targets to the middle of the screen and drops an object under Gophn. The object repels bullets and damages anything it touches for a couple of seconds. This attack prevents new 8-way shots while active.
8-way shot: Tap C. Creates a ring of 8 points that each fire a beam at the green target. They move outward while firing, and they can expire prematurely if they leave the screen. Turns bullets into gems. Costs 50% energy.

Type EDS: Machines. They have faster bomb recharging. The EDS bomb cancels bullets for an instant and fires a few dozen homing shots for several seconds.

EDS-39-F Hykyh: Hykyh's default speed is slow.
Leaning shot: Hold Z. If you move sideways, most of the shots will aim slightly in that direction.
Leading shot 2: Hold Z+X. Like the regular leading shot, but the shot leans more, and it causes stopped motion.
Wide shot: Hold X. Fires forward from 2 well-separated origins and fires waving shots to the sides.
Shadow: Hold C. Creates a damaging shadow that follows the ship for about a second. Provides immunity to collisions with destructible enemies and causes normal motion.
Shadow beam: Hold Z+C. A beam attack. Causes very slow motion.
Shadow claws: Hold X+C. Creates 3 claws to either side of the ship, causes very slow motion.

EDS-74-M Khyh: Khyh's default speed is slow. I think. It was normal in v1.40.
Tight shot: Hold Z. Strong, focused fire.
Loose shot: Hold Z+X. Fires forward, but from positions to the side of the ship.
Spread shot: Hold X. Fides spreading shots, none forward. Causes slow motion.
Charge fireball: Hold C. While it is charging, the little bits of fire it collects can damage things. The fireball itself can damage things, too.
Break charge: Tap Z/X while holding C. This will restart the charging sequence.
Fire beam: Release C when fully charged. Fires a piercing beam that gets wider when it hits things. Causes stopped motion while firing.

IMO, Khyh and Nyphn are the easiest to use, and Khyh and Gophn are the most powerful. Gophn is insanely hard to use, but it eats through bosses in seconds even if you can't use it that well.
Last edited by shiftace on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
shiftace

More stuff from the HS thread

Post by shiftace »

Advice for the stage 1 boss:
- Choose your ship carefully. Khyh and Nyphn are relatively easy to use.
- Kill the shoulder parts before attacking the center. It's ok to hurt the center a little, but you don't want to trigger its next attacks until you're ready.
- The square shots make a loud noise when they are aimed at you, use this to time your movements.
- For the green form, first pattern, buzz the orange/purple line shots.
- For the red form, first pattern, you're relatively safe directly behind the boss.
- Try to save your bomb until the very end, the boss fires a really nasty barrage when it explodes.
- Don't give up.

Download help:
- The main page for Radio Zonde on Vector links to an FTP download and a HTTP download page. If you get a page offering you to register with the site, you can decline by clicking the button in the bottom right (black border).
- GamezWorld.de's Radio Zonde page will pass download requests to Vector. The download icon is to the left of the article.

And, I got into a small argument with SiKrAiKeN about ranking score vs. pains in U_T_N, but I don't want to be the one to bring that back up.
"Can they really get inside my head?"
"As long as you keep an open mind."
TGK

Post by TGK »

Boy was I stupid. The reason why I never could get from one stage to the next was because I played an older version of the game. I just downloaded 1.41 and played Touring for real for the first time with Hykhyh. I could only get to the end of stage 3 (1-path1-3), but at least I died only once, on the stage 1 boss, before proceeded to die repeatedly while fighting stage 3 boss. Must practice more!

Ah shmups.com, I've been away for quite a few months. What with work and nagging parents and all :D.
This causes to me a sensation of badness. - Stormwatch
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

I'm glad someone else is enjoying this game. Here's a couple of thoughts on scoring. Under the Switch menu, there's a setting to change the score display mode; one of the options is "Ratio." This displays the score from destroying things as a multiplier instead of a point value, which exposes the scoring mechanics a little and may be more useful than the other score options.

So every enemy has a base point value and a multiplier that ranges from 1-20, maybe 21. A factor of 0-10 comes from Signal Stability, and a factor of 1-10 (1-11) comes from Clock, according to some sort of diminishing returns curve. You could express that a few different ways by shifting around ones and minus signs and an x10. After applying the multiplier, the Inherited value is added to get the final score. There are some targets in stages 4 and 6 with a base value of 1 point, so I think the Inherited part is right.

Practically, then, you want to keep the Clock high (low energy, buzzing, gems, not taking hits, etc.) and not strafe things as you kill them (Signal Stability). The chain bonus doesn't seem to get above 10% of the total score all that often. In stage 1, there are 194 enemies, I end up with about 7000-9000 Inherited depending on character, so that's about 800,000 points due to combo on a total score around 10M before the boss. It's worth a lot more in the Path stages, and it can be exploited really well in stage 4.

The Blood part of the combo system doesn't seem to do anything helpful, it just makes the timer drain faster. Dropping big chains for a split second to reset the Blood can be useful.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

zomg necropost

Anyhow, I don't think the end of stage multiplier equation is entirely accurate, since I got a x24 bonus with 5 pains 0 fallen bodies on stage 7. 2 pains on boss 3 pains on level. Of course, that was because it was stage 7 only and not touring.

Oya, and for a level 3 strat, it's possible to get the clock to 9999% by charge shotting the walls on the boss with Khyh. It also recharges the bomb meter at an insane rate, allowing one to just bomb through the dangerous portions of the maze.

Also, the rate can exceed 21, which you'll notice when you try this strat.

And for signal stability, it'd be more accurate to say that it drops when you hold down arrow keys while shooting. So trying to keep it low with say, a stopped motion shot (Gophn's 2, Hykh's 2), for example, won't exactly work. I think it's better to just use something that can cover a wide area, like Khyh's 2, and tap arrows keys as opposed to holding them down for scoring.
<Sidwell> TSS is manlier than a jet figher made of biceps.
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

God this game is hard.

I beat Breakthru but I didn't get any end of stage bonuses, why is that?
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

The transitionary stages (anything that isn't stage #) don't net any end of stage bonuses.

Anyway, there's a rather large amount of safe spots and quick kills that can be exploited to reduce the amount of real dodging necessary. That and bombs are awesome. :twisted:

Especially when they take out 75% of a boss's lifebar... MWAHAHAHAHAHA
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

shoe-sama wrote:zomg necropost

Anyhow, I don't think the end of stage multiplier equation is entirely accurate, since I got a x24 bonus with 5 pains 0 fallen bodies on stage 7. 2 pains on boss 3 pains on level. Of course, that was because it was stage 7 only and not touring.

Oya, and for a level 3 strat, it's possible to get the clock to 9999% by charge shotting the walls on the boss with Khyh. It also recharges the bomb meter at an insane rate, allowing one to just bomb through the dangerous portions of the maze.

Also, the rate can exceed 21, which you'll notice when you try this strat.

And for signal stability, it'd be more accurate to say that it drops when you hold down arrow keys while shooting. So trying to keep it low with say, a stopped motion shot (Gophn's 2, Hykh's 2), for example, won't exactly work. I think it's better to just use something that can cover a wide area, like Khyh's 2, and tap arrows keys as opposed to holding them down for scoring.
You're right on all counts. This thing's 2 years old, heh.

I checked on the end-of-stage multiplier (busy afternoon...). 0D/5P on stage 7 yields 24x, but on stage 1 it yields 22x. So there's at least one variable missing there. I ran some of the manual through Babelfish and found the part that talks about Deaths and the end-of-stage multiplier but nothing about Pains.

The manual explains the multiplier for killing enemies as 0-9 from Signal Stability and 1-14.999 from Clock. The Clock factor is piecewise linear with 4 reference points:

100% -> 1x
500% -> 5x
1,000% -> 6x
10,000% -> 15x (unattainable)

I just never got above 7,000%, probably.

Based on other reading, it looks like effect on Signal Stability is a property of each weapon; but all weapons have an effect on it. You're right about stopped-motion weapons. Time to make some edits.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

I did a 0 death 5 pain run on stage 6 today, and it was also 22x. Perhaps it doesn't take pains into account on 7.

Whoa, there's a manual? I never noticed. XD
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

Pains almost definitely count for something in stage 7; earlier today I had 1D/3P -> 15x, 1D/8P -> 12x. My bias is that a few pains are "forgiven" at higher stages, but who knows? Maybe it's time to make a table and derive the relationship that way, sigh.
shoe-sama
Banned User

Post by shoe-sama »

I wonder what the difference between Savior and Destroyer is. Is it difficulty level? I haven't bothered to check.

2D/6P on lvl 8 gets x9.
4D/11P 8 x5.
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

Destroyer mode is supposed to raise attack strength in some way and weaken the shield. It's only allowed for Mahilo/Yoxola.

And I'm thoroughly confused on the end-of-stage multiplier. The manual says it's just determined by Deaths. OnesDouble's site says that it's determined by Deaths and Pains. And apparently neither of them is quite right for v1.41. The formula's probably been tweaked a few times...

It's not very important anyway. Pains are slightly bad, Deaths are very bad, and the end-of-stage bonus can't get very big. I think.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

What an amazing game! Just for the record, when was the full version of Radio Zonde released? Can it really be as early as 2002 :?:
...And what is meant by "Death Pains"?