"Building" a saturn controller

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ReKleSS

"Building" a saturn controller

Post by ReKleSS »

More weird stuff...

I tried to build a saturn controller into my dreamcast stick, but somehow killed the controller. Since I'm too cheap to buy a new controller, I'd like to try building this, found from here. Only one problem... wtf are those triangles on the circuit diagram? Also, where are the pin 3s going? That's not any notation I've seen before.
弾もまたいで通る
D

Post by D »

Just buy a cheap ebay saturn controller, it doesn't have to be an original either since it will be butchered. Why not get one with turbo fire and incorporate that into the stick :idea:
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

A saturn controller isn't expensive, but getting it shipped here... well, I'd rather not.

The one I killed today had auto fire - it makes it an absolute bitch to follow the traces and figure out which is ground and which signals the chip - each button has 3 connections coming off it, and as a result the PCB is a huge mess. Maybe some controllers would be better, but I'd much rather it didn't have auto fire.
弾もまたいで通る
D

Post by D »

Then I suggest you find the ground contact and just experiment which button is which. Perhaps a key configuration in a capcom fighter would be good to test out all the legs on the chip!
barakka

Re: "Building" a saturn controller

Post by barakka »

ReKleSS wrote: Only one problem... wtf are those triangles on the circuit diagram?
Pull-up resistor arrays, to keep the inputs of the ICs at VCC until the button is connected to GND
Also, where are the pin 3s going?
Nowhere, those pins are left unconnected. They still are connected to the pull-up though..
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

Ok, I've built it and... it didn't work. It looks like Kashi's design has a problem.

I was able to find another design by SaturnAR that's much harder to read, but actually works - the problem is that pins 3 and 14 on the higher chip must be held low, not high. It appears the saturn uses these to figure out whether a controller is connected. Now I just need to rewire the buttons, because most of them go to the wrong places...

SaturnAR's design is here.
弾もまたいで通る