Possible? Harddisk on Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and ps1?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

Possible? Harddisk on Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and ps1?

Post by D »

DC - Windows CE........
Not that it makes that much sense, but i'd be cool even if you'd have to mod the bios or something like that.
Or....dvd player?......or with a tape deck to load games from a casette :lol:
Sorry for another useless thread, I deserve to be banned.
PC Engine Fan X!

Re: Possible? Harddisk on Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and ps1?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

D wrote:DC - Windows CE........
Not that it makes that much sense, but i'd be cool even if you'd have to mod the bios or something like that.
Or....dvd player?......or with a tape deck to load games from a casette :lol:
Sorry for another useless thread, I deserve to be banned.
For D,

Nah, I like your thread about possible HD on Saturn, Dreamcast or PSX/PSone...

There was a planned Iomega Disk Drive attachment for the Dreamcast hardware but since Sega of Japan (SOJ) cancelled it's production of the DC hardware, SOA soon stopped selling it's DC hardware in 2001 and thus the DC Iomega Disk Drive device was cancelled...would've been nice to have something like that, hmmm? ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Homemade IDE interface for Dreamcast: http://hw001.gate01.com/ikehara/dc/dcwdc.html

Sorry its only accessable/addressable with NetBSD/Linux for DC.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Zip drives are incredibly slow for gaming, IMHO. A small HDD would have been more of a viable option. But did they listen? NOOOOOOO...
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Building an interface between system xyz and an IDE drive using polled I/O isn't too complicated (see homemade IDE interfaces for Atari, Apple, Amiga, etc.). Of course one will also need software to use it.

A Saturn with a harddrive would be cool :) (along with one of those comm cards that connects to the AR 4-in-1)
VNAF Ace

Post by VNAF Ace »

If all you're interested in is transferring your game data to a hard drive, then here are two "official" solutions.

1. The InterAct DexDrive. InterAct made one model for PS1 memory cards, and one model for N64 memory paks. The DexDrive allows you to transfer your data to/from your PS1 memory card to/from your PC's hard drive. Try to find it on eBay if you're interested. Note: The DexDrive connects to your PC through the serial port. If you have a newer PC (which probably wouldn't have a serial port), then you would also need to buy a serial port to USB port adaptor).

2. If you're planning to get the PS3, then you may be interested in the PS3 Memory Card Adaptor.

It allows you to transfer your data from your PS1/PS2 memory cards to the PS3 hard drive. As of now, you cannot copy PS1/PS2 data from the hard drive back to PS1/PS2 memory cards, but Sony should be able to take care of that problem with a firmware update.

Unfortunately, I don't know of anything that will allow you to transfer your SAT or DC data to a hard drive.
IndyCar Series. One series. All the stars.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Neon

Post by Neon »

There's a memory card for DC that comes with a cable for PC save transfers.

According to most of the DC forums I've seen there is a 0% chance of being able to boot games from a DC harddisk. Not so for ps2 and xbox, though.
D

Post by D »

Thanks for the replies, you guys are great.
We need to be able to do this. In years time we will not be able to play saturn. when they stop making cd drives. We need to find a way to provide data to out beloved systems. Well not right now. But in the future I'd like to be able to play on original hardware. I know it is possible, but it requires lots of hacking and extende knowledge of hd cd-rom and even more importantly the Saturn's internals.