massystems supergun opinions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mirkvid

massystems supergun opinions

Post by mirkvid »

well, im finally thinking about going supergun. does anyone know if this is a good setup? it seems like one of the better ones, but i want to know for sure before i drop the $$$ for this and some pcb games!

http://www.massystems.com/SuperNOVA.html
PC Engine Fan X!

Mas Systems supergun is a piece of shit...seriously!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

mirkvid wrote:well, im finally thinking about going supergun. does anyone know if this is a good setup? it seems like one of the better ones, but i want to know for sure before i drop the $$$ for this and some pcb games!

http://www.massystems.com/SuperNOVA.html
For mirkvid,

That Mas Systems produced Super Nova is the worst Supergun you can possible buy...customer service sucks as well. The Super Nova doesn't have built-in cooling fan and it does get very hot -- more apt to suffer problems with arcade PCBs down the road. I'd steer away from Mas Systems and buy a custom-made Supergun myself. Matt on the old Shmups.com site made such custom produced Superguns that were legendary. (I should know because I bought one from him back in June of 2002.)

Or if you have some serious $$$ to burn, pick up a Japanese produced Sigma supergun as they are the best superguns that money can buy. ^_~

If you're going to go the Supergun route, pick up one with these particular features for maximum compatibility:

*RCA Composite Video Output

*Super Video Output (this is better output than with Composite Video, use if your monitor has S-Video Input... -- JROK produces an 'RGB to S-Video/Composite Video Output' PCB for use with DIY {Do It Yourself} Supergun projects.)

*Component Video Output (this is the best if your monitor has built-in Component Video Inputs -- almost as good as analog RGB setup... -- JROK produces an 'RGB to Component Video Output 'PCB board for use with DIY Supergun projects.)

*Analog RGB Output (for hookup to Japanese RGB or Euro SCART input devices...I use the 21-pin pinout Japanese RGB cable setup for use with on a Japanese Micromcom produced XRGB-2 upscan convertor -- this is the best setup that $$$ can buy if you have an analog CRT-based PC SVGA monitor setup...or you could go with an analog RGB monitor that accepts 15.7 kHz horizontal sync rate signal such as the Commodore produced Amiga RGB monitor like the Amiga 1080 & it's latter produced ilk...)

*RCA left & right mono-output jacks to hook up to 100w rated speakers at 8 ohms...(some other arcade PCB collectors might say that it's best to use speakers rated at 20w at 8 ohms as not to get the on-board MOSFET chips too hot when going with external speaker setup...)

*Built-in fuses for both the 12v & 5v lines on the Jamma edge connection interface (the Super Nova supergun doesn't have built-in fuse protection) so that your valuable arcade Jamma PCBs don't go up in smoke...(is considered cheap form of extra insurance for your expensive arcade PCB investments!) ^_~

*Make sure that your Supergun has a "true" arcade power supply unit (PSU) with adjustable 5v power supply as some arcade PCBs require certain precise 5v +/- to boot up properly, otherwise, they'll boot up with graphical errors, not boot up at all or even go "up in smoke" if the voltage rating is too high! (Again, the Super Nova supergun doesn't have built-in adjustable 5v power supply pot anyways...)

*The other alternative is the PC ATX PSU that supplies both 12v & 5v juice to the Supergun + a built-in cooling fan to supply cooling air to the hot components (of course, this could lead up to possible inteferance issues with said arcade PCB when booted up)...both a true arcade PSU & PC ATX PSU have their positive and negative merits but it's strongly recommended to get a Supergun with adjustable 5v line (the above reasons are listed as to why that is)..... ^_~

Hope all this info helps you out on your future Supergun purchase... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

awesome, thanks. I'm glad i asked before buying the mas gun. I'll check out the sigma or maybe the possibility of making my own...unless these newer cave games get announced for console release!