RQ: Battle Garegga Hitboxes?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
thesuperkillerxxx

RQ: Battle Garegga Hitboxes?

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

As in, What is the true size for the different ships?

I will take some screen caps at home later, if someone would be so kind as to draw the hitbox for us.

Thank you!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I dont know the exact sizes of the hitboxes but this screencap from the Garegga DVD should give you an idea of how small it is.

Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I might be able to help you out. On the PCB you can access character test and look at the hit boxes. This could probably be done in MAME too and screen capped.

Hit boxes are rectangular in shape with the rectangle being taller than it is wide. The small hit box versions of ships chosen with C or A+B+C don't really shrink all that much. It appears that the hit box looses a couple pixels from the top and bottom but not from the sides. Most of the ships have hit boxes about where you think they would be. Silver Sword's is back a bit farther than you would think. It's really the area of the fuselage behind the cockpit and in front of the rear propeller.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Rastan78 wrote:On the PCB you can access character test and look at the hit boxes. This could probably be done in MAME too and screen capped.
Can someone explain exactly how to do this? I go into the character test screen, and scroll around the different sprites (a button+direction or just direction), and can't seem to find something that indicates what the hitbox location is. Am I missing something here? Can anyone help (and possibly snap a pic of goldenbat's hitbox?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Such snaps would make a nifty contribution to the ST, methinks...
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Scroll along until you find the ship type you want (they're in order from A, B, C and ABC), then hold A and press UP. Simple.

For comparison, the hitboxes for Iron Mackerel and Golden Bat.

Image Image
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Not to make a (bigger) pest of myself, but are those the "normal" or "smaller" hitbox sizes?

Too bad there's no way to do this in the Saturn version, so as to figure out what exactly the "small hit size" option does...
Last edited by BulletMagnet on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Excellent, thank you Icarus! I see this works for Bakraid and Batrider as well. Strange though that it shows the hitbox being split or a hole in the middle.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Dave_K. wrote:Excellent, thank you Icarus! I see this works for Bakraid and Batrider as well. Strange though that it shows the hitbox being split or a hole in the middle.
I doubt that's the case. I'd expect the hitbox to actually be a complete section, the "split" might just be for cosmetic effect.

I haven't tested it out yet, but I'd expect this to work with Ibara if there is a Character Test available.
BulletMagnet wrote:Not to make a (bigger) pest of myself, but are those the "normal" or "smaller" hitbox sizes?
Too bad there's no way to do this in the Saturn version, so as to figure out what exactly the "small hit size" option does...
Dude, you should know by now.
Iron Mackerel is the B type Snail (faster speed), while the Bat is ABC type (speed and smaller hit area). ^_-

Seeing the main difference between the two (a compressed hitbox, smaller at the bottom), I'd expect the "smaller hitbox" option to shave off another pixel at the top, and maybe at the sides too.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Icarus wrote:Dude, you should know by now.
Iron Mackerel is the B type Snail (faster speed), while the Bat is ABC type (speed and smaller hit area). ^_-
*smacks self*

Arg, I really am losing it, sorry.

That said, it really does seem like a pretty minor difference, a section at the top and the corners at the bottom, and that looks like about it...certainly doesn't feel that way when you're trying to collect medals.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I find it odd that the hitboxes shown are not in the exact horizontal middle of the ships. So it's easier to get hit on the left side of the ship than on the right?

I guess in the game it doesn't really matter (as I never noticed it while playing the game myself), but it just screams "design flaw" to me.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Herr Schatten wrote:I find it odd that the hitboxes shown are not in the exact horizontal middle of the ships. So it's easier to get hit on the left side of the ship than on the right?

I guess in the game it doesn't really matter (as I never noticed it while playing the game myself), but it just screams "design flaw" to me.
Yes, that's what the DDP DOJ-hitbox illustrations look like too. Weird!
SOUNDSHOCK
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

zinger wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:I find it odd that the hitboxes shown are not in the exact horizontal middle of the ships. So it's easier to get hit on the left side of the ship than on the right?

Yes, that's what the DDP DOJ-hitbox illustrations look like too. Weird!
Looks to me its because there are an odd number of pixels (11 to be exact) between the two engines, and an even number of pixels (6) for the hitbox width. So it has to be on one side or the other.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Dave_K. wrote:Looks to me its because there are an odd number of pixels (11 to be exact) between the two engines, and an even number of pixels (6) for the hitbox width. So it has to be on one side or the other.
Obviously. But I wonder what kept them from just adding or subtracting one pixel to/from the ship's width. That'd have solved the problem nicely. Having a hitbox with an even number of pixels and a ship width with an odd number seems ...odd.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Herr Schatten wrote:Obviously. But I wonder what kept them from just adding or subtracting one pixel to/from the ship's width. That'd have solved the problem nicely. Having a hitbox with an even number of pixels and a ship width with an odd number seems ...odd.
That would also make the hit box pretty "big" (if adding a pixel). Really, its not like a pixel here or there makes a major difference to the way you play the game.