What goes into "modding" a ps2?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Pixel_Outlaw

What goes into "modding" a ps2?

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

I have never modded a system before. Can anyone explain what exactly i need to do with my ps2 and how much the operation could cost? I feel that the US greally gets screwed with game availability. Also what other problems does modding cause?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Hardware section.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Go for the HDLoader route, man.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Many people might tell you to go the route of simply buying an import system than modification. That way unless it was a faulty system from the start you have no worries about malfunction, overheating, non-booting, etc...

As I'm aware the PS2 with the best/most durable lens is the Version 7 or SCPH-39001 (Sanyo Lens IIRC). If you plan to get a system modded, that's the one I'd get. Even with this precaution if you buy a used system get the lens replaced by a professional if not the same party doing the mod, that way you get a fresh start.

I personally have never modded a system to play backups intentionally, although it's a nice perk. It was to play imports (SVC Chaos was regrettably the straw that broke the camel's back for me :roll: ) and if I wanted to try a game before I bought it, at least I could. Another tip might be to only play originals, that way the lens doesn't have to work as hard to read since the data is pressed rather than recorded.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Specineff wrote:Go for the HDLoader route, man.
Or that. No lens concerns there. :lol:
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Especially if you've never modded a system before (or worse, never even used a soldering iron), PS2 is NOT a good place to start. But installation for newer chips may have gotten simpler since last I checked.
benj

Post by benj »

I don't know about the laws in your country, but can't you just go to a console store and let the people there mod your PS2? That's what I'll do next week. Of course it's more expensive than modding it yourself, but I'd rather let a pro do it. That way you know it'll work and you get a warranty.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Um I live in Montana, there aren't many stores that know anything about their systems. The most complex videogame store we have is a very small Gamestop in the mall. I assume I need to order a chip off eBay and solder it in then? I don't know what hardware/software I need either.

Basically for stores we have:
Wal*Mart supercenter
ShopKo
K Mart
Gamestop
There is really no specialty place to take my ps2, it looks like i'm kinda screwed.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Depends on the version of the PS2 you have. Some are *alot* easier than others. I think it was the version 7 being the easiest.

We went through 2 PS2s modding mine (type 1, type 11) - 3rd was the charm (type 7).
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

If you're confident with a soldering iron and tiny solder points you could probably do it yourself. There are a lot of resources on the net with diagrams. I'm running a Matrix Infinity but with a DMS4 you have 4MB of flash rom to store the TOXIC bios for instance. Toxic Os has a sort of HDloader built-in so it starts very quick. With the Matrix Infinity you have to load the HDloader after booting (can be setup to do this automagically).

I myself was not that comfortable with them tiny solder points and had it done by someone else and got a year warranty.

If you don't mind the load times to get to the HDloader of the original HDloader disk then you should be safe with that way.
You need to install foreign games through windows though. Meaning taking out your HD of the PS2.
I know Cho Aniki doesn't run from HDLoader so you can not play that title unless your system is modded so you can boot straight from disk.

If you have no more warranty on your system then installing the mod wont hurt you in that respect. To be honest I don't care that much about warranty cause you get screwed anyway.
I had bought a new PS2 and 2 weeks later it was modded.
All errors are intentional but mistakes could have been made.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I just went the swap magic boot disc route. Works great for me.