GD: Steel Dragon EX/ Double Shienryu

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
rib

GD: Steel Dragon EX/ Double Shienryu

Post by rib »

how can i access the last two levels?
in practice there are just question marks at the last two levels (9 and 10)
i made i trough the game on norman and hard but still cant play this levels.
thanks

<RQ changed to GD -inc.>
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

They're special levels you can access during the game, lessee if I remember them correctly...

For the first one: the first level's boss shoots this homing sphere thing. Dodge and manuever so that it hits the boss instead.

For the second one: I'm a bit fuzzy on the details here. You need to have collected 1500 stars by the time Stage 5 ends. But I don't remember if that was the right amount of stars or even the right level. When you finish the game, watch the credits roll. At the very end you'll see some engrish text on how access the extra levels. Take the details from there and the engrish-to-english translation from me. :D
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
nZero

Post by nZero »

Just got this today, the Normal clear feels kind of nice. This game reminds me a whole lot of Star Soldier Vanishing Earth, in both good and bad ways.
Ghegs wrote:For the first one: the first level's boss shoots this homing sphere thing. Dodge and manuever so that it hits the boss instead.
Does anybody have any hints on how to perform this? If I let it sail off of the bottom, it never comes back. When I can get it to come back on the screen, it just kind of sails horizontally by the big guy instead of hitting him.

Ghm... 1500 stars before Stage 6... going to require some abuse of the weapon, and suicide to keep the stock up, I think. Yet 6 and 7 alone would probably be enough to reach that goal... grr.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

nZero wrote:Does anybody have any hints on how to perform this? If I let it sail off of the bottom, it never comes back. When I can get it to come back on the screen, it just kind of sails horizontally by the big guy instead of hitting him.

Ghm... 1500 stars before Stage 6... going to require some abuse of the weapon, and suicide to keep the stock up, I think. Yet 6 and 7 alone would probably be enough to reach that goal... grr.
Bah, over a year has passed from my post and nobody corrected me; it's the third boss that's the key to the first hidden stage. But I guess you figured that much out already.

In any case, the sphere he shoots just needs to touch the boss even barely. I made a short video of that. Just stay fairly close to the boss when he shoots it and you shouldn't have any problems.

As for the second hidden stage, once you've accessed the first one you shouldn't have any problems hitting 1500. Keep using the max shot button almost exclusively so you'll get more stars out of enemies. No need to suicide, in fact, you don't even need to bomb once to reach 1500 by stage 5's end. If you find yourself a bit short, you can milk the stage 5 boss for stars easily, just bomb during his "whole lotta tiny bullets"-attack. I made a video of that too.

Sorry for the crappy video quality on those, I was trying to keep the filesize down. Also, thanks for giving me an excuse to play with my capture hardware again. ;)
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
fl0w

Post by fl0w »

nZero wrote:
Ghegs wrote:For the first one: the first level's boss shoots this homing sphere thing. Dodge and manuever so that it hits the boss instead.
Does anybody have any hints on how to perform this? If I let it sail off of the bottom, it never comes back. When I can get it to come back on the screen, it just kind of sails horizontally by the big guy instead of hitting him.
IIRC there's a very easy and safe way: just stick to the right of the boss when it's gonna shoot the sphere.[/b]
np: Image
nZero

Post by nZero »

Ghegs wrote:Bah, over a year has passed from my post and nobody corrected me; it's the third boss that's the key to the first hidden stage. But I guess you figured that much out already.
Ha, I didn't even notice that. I was just going from the text from the ending, and the fact that there's really only one boss that shoots a giant orange homing sphere ;)
Ghegs wrote:In any case, the sphere he shoots just needs to touch the boss even barely. I made a short video of that. Just stay fairly close to the boss when he shoots it and you shouldn't have any problems.

As for the second hidden stage, once you've accessed the first one you shouldn't have any problems hitting 1500. Keep using the max shot button almost exclusively so you'll get more stars out of enemies. No need to suicide, in fact, you don't even need to bomb once to reach 1500 by stage 5's end. If you find yourself a bit short, you can milk the stage 5 boss for stars easily, just bomb during his "whole lotta tiny bullets"-attack. I made a video of that too.
Thanks for the videos! I got into EX1 today, definitely a cornucopia of stars available there. Anyway, looks like 1500 isn't the magic number for getting into EX2. Unless it's 1500 stars BEFORE stage 5 or something. I guess I'll go experiment some more. Medal milking for fun and profit...

EDIT - Re-cleared, 2000 point items by Stage 5 completion. Guh.

The enemy designs really make me want to go play Exelica again :( Also, if the rumors are true and this was originally DC/NAOMI development later ported over to the PS2, I sincerely hope Exelica goes to the DC if it comes home. This mess is distractingly jaggy and shimmery, and I can't help but imagine how much better it would look on a DC through VGA :( The world will never know...
gavin19

Post by gavin19 »

I casually played through this last year and haven't come back to it since, but I really enjoyed it and would like to get back into it to see if I can put together a decent score. Any general tips - best ship type, do I use the most powerful shot exclusively, can/should I bomb or not? Any advice would be appreciated as I cannot find any replays of this one anywhere.
a.k.a - G19
CIT

Post by CIT »

I like the first ship best. I almost exlusively use the most powerful shot to kill stuff. There's some spots in later levels when you need to get rid of a lot of small enemies so it's usually better to just clear them with a weak spread there as the points that can be gained from them are kind of negligible anyway. Remember to use a weak shot or not shoot at all when collecting stars. You should save your bombs for any situation where there's a lot of bullets, that you can convert into stars.

BTW, new highscore thread here:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=11268

:)
gavin19

Post by gavin19 »

CIT wrote:BTW, new highscore thread here:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=11268

:)
That's exactly what made me want to get back into playing this for score rather than survival. Thanks for the tips, I'll post a score as soon as I get into the swing of this again. Cheers.
a.k.a - G19