Has anyone used one of these?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
JJG

Has anyone used one of these?

Post by JJG »

I'm wondering if anyone has used one of these joysticks, and if so what your opinion of it is?
elvis

Post by elvis »

General consensus is that they are the best "off the shelf" sticks you can buy. Better buys are the custom sticks from folks like Byrdo, Dreadfist and others no the SRK forums, but the HRAP2's are much cheaper.

They're quite easy to mod too. If you find the HORI parts annoying, just pop them out and throw in whatever you prefer.
JJG

Post by JJG »

Sounds good thanks for the info, I think I'll pick one up.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

You're better off getting an HRAP1. It has the same stick and buttons as the HRAP2, but most places sell it for a fair bit cheaper. The only real difference is the button layout. The HRAP2 is supposedly closer to Japanese arcade standard, but I find the HRAP1 more ergonomic.

I've had an HRAP1 for a few months and I think it's a great stick. It does have a learning curve though, if you're not used to playing with a square restrictor plate. It's also easy to customise, thanks to the buttons being attached by quick disconnects. I recently swapped out the stock Hori buttons for Seimitsus.
JJG

Post by JJG »

They're supposedly both great sticks, I think the only real difference is the button layout.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I use an HRAP2. It plays awesomely. Very durable, nice feel. As Daigohji pointed out, the square gate has pros and cons: you'll get diagonals very easily, but motions will definitely take some getting used to if you aren't used to it.

Right now, there's the remodeled HRAP1, which doesn't have the mirror top (AKA fingerprint mat), and is a good buy as well. If you're semi-tall and tend to put the stick on the ground when you play, you might be better off getting an HRAP1, because the outwardly facing buttons feel more natural to your wrist at that position. The HRAP2 buttons are also closer to the stick (since L1 and L2 have been moved to the rightmost row). But the HRAP2 is the accurate arcade layout and it's very hard to accidentally hit L1&L2 or the Start button, which are minor issues with the HRAP1.
azmun

Post by azmun »

Daigohji wrote:The HRAP2 is supposedly closer to Japanese arcade standard, but I find the HRAP1 more ergonomic.
Actually, this depends on which arcade machine you are referring to. HRAP version 1's button layout has been patterned directly from some arcade control panels. I've even played in some arcade machines that have two different button layouts, with the first player having the same layout as those found in version 2 HRAP and the second player with verision 1 buttons. For additional reference, you can visit this site: http://candycabinetcity.com/ click on Sega and check out the Sega Astro City II cabinet (first and third picture on second column)
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

The only cabinet I can think of with the closest layout to the HRAPv1 would be player 2 on Taito's EGRET 29. Player 1 is HRAPv2 layout as is most panels.