composite to rgb converter

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
antron

composite to rgb converter

Post by antron »

has anyone tried this composite to rgb converter:
LEK-CCR2SRGB

I would use it for a N64, or a VCR to display my Atari.
SAM

Post by SAM »

That's useless. :o

Last time you ask me, I thought you were saying Component to RGB, so I said I don't know. :)

But for Composite to RGB, that's completely useless. Useless to a degree of the solar power light tourch, a light tourch which could only operate under direct sunlight. :o

For vedio singal, it fineness is lost forever once it has been compressed. Fineness is lost in the compress and restore process. In other words, once the vedio is compressed into composite form, it remains at composite vedio quality even you restore the singal to its raw (RGB) form. And thus that convertor has no use.

In terms of level of compression:

(Raw) RGB > Component > S-Vedio > Composite > RF (Most Compressed)

In fact, all TVs have to restore the vedio singals they received back to RGB before displaying it on the screen. Thus all NTSC TVs that could be connected via Composite Vedio out there got similar chips of this convertor on board. It's meaningless to restore Composite vedio to RGB before feeding the singal to the TV.

This convertor is only useful to people who wish to watch VHS tape on an acrade monitor. :D (I think you still need the LM1881 sync seperator chip to do that, as the convetor output Scart RGB.) I really wonder why they made such a converter. :shock:
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
antron

Re: composite to rgb converter

Post by antron »

The Atari 2600 is what I really want to play on my Arcade Monitor in my garage. Not because it will look better, just because that is where I play.

My guess is that it would be very difficult to get one of these chips from a TV. Or to even put one in a circuit if I got one new. Unless perhaps I could get a socket for it. Lots of work though.

Do some arcade monitors accept composite?
Or maybe I should save my money, import a European TV and use it?

The 29" in my Egret 1 is a bit old and flaky. It would be a gamble getting it to fit and rotate in the Egret (the strange bird).