RQ: Any tips for Capcom's Exed Eyes/Savage Bees?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
CecilMcW00t

RQ: Any tips for Capcom's Exed Eyes/Savage Bees?

Post by CecilMcW00t »

I like this game, I can get somewhat far... But was wondering if anyone has played it and had any miscellaneous tips to share on scoring, techniques, etc. Cause after a certain point I just mercilessly get my arse handed to me. >_<
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
doctorx0079

Re: RQ: Any tips for Capcom's Exed Eyes/Savage Bees?

Post by doctorx0079 »

CecilMcW00t wrote:I like this game, I can get somewhat far... But was wondering if anyone has played it and had any miscellaneous tips to share on scoring, techniques, etc. Cause after a certain point I just mercilessly get my arse handed to me. >_<
Hmm, off the top of my head . .

Your ship moves rather faster horizontally than vertically. Try not to move vertically or diagonally too much.

Always remember that you can run into turrets. This is one of the only games like this. If you can't destroy a turret in front of you, get out of the way! Same for the green bunkers etc.

The big bugs change color as you shoot them. When they are about to blow up they turn brown. When they turn brown they are about to fly straight at your ship, so watch out and have some shots ready.

Certain turrets and bunkers give high-point fruits or other things when you shoot them. They are always in the same places so remember them.

With the formations that warp in and out, take your time shooting them. If you shoot them too fast, more tend to show up, which is generally not what you want. You don't get a lot of points from them.

On the other hand, always get the woP. It's worth 10,000 points. It takes away your power-up, but the power-ups aren't that great in this game anyway.

Some of the POW's turn enemies into fruits. This isn't always a good thing. If a high-point fruit appears when you shoot something, and then you get the POW, the high-point fruit will turn into a low-point fruit, which is bad. I think this happens in round 2 or 3.

There is a spot in each round where if you pass right over it you get an invisible thing worth a lot of points. Try to learn where they are. E.g. in round 1 there is a hexagon cell separate from the other ones right when you come up to the warping ships. Pass over it and get 10,000 points.

For the end-of-level bosses, try to take out first the stuff that shoots at you. Save the cores and things for later. But watch out because if only cores are left, the boss may sink off the bottom of the screen and you won't get the bonus points.

For the squads of yellow bugs that usually appear near the end of the round, try to go near the top of the screen and wiggle left and right as you shoot. You can often get them all this way for a 500-point bonus.

For the skulls that go in a circle, it is often easiest to shoot them where they are coming down the circle, either the left or right side.

Finally, try to use all your stars up before you run out of ships. Unless you're just credit feeding.

That's about all I know so far. I've played this game ~20 hours. I'm trying to clear the first 5 rounds on 1 credit.
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Exed Eyes or Exed Exes? I used to call it the former until someone corrected me by telling me to read the title screen more carefully. Now I'm more confused :?
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Carmen wrote:Exed Eyes or Exed Exes? I used to call it the former until someone corrected me by telling me to read the title screen more carefully. Now I'm more confused :?
It's definitely Exed Exes. As for why, I couldn't tell you. Maybe it sounded cool at the time. Kind of like when I was 9 and I came up with "Star Escade". (It turns out that "escade" is not a real word.)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I've been playing this lately. It's kinda ridiculous, because i made my best score on my 3rd credit, got it to level 6 or something... and now I can't beat it! ha.

Anyway, I've seen in the attract mode a BIG fruit appearing, and I have no idea of how to make it appear on game.

Also, I was getting random 10k points on level 1 and once I got 5k on level 2 for no reason. Now I see why :)

The game seems to have lots of scoring tricks for such an old game :D
Mero

Post by Mero »

Shatterhand wrote:Anyway, I've seen in the attract mode a BIG fruit appearing, and I have no idea of how to make it appear on game.
The large insects will turn into big fruit that's worth 10k each when collect the 'pow' icon that turns all the enemies into fruit.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I got it on the last game, but on stage 6. I don't think there's a way to do it before stage 6, am I right ?
Mero

Post by Mero »

The further you get into the game the more often they'll turn up, like there'll be ones you have to uncover by destroying certain blocks (you get a choice of 3 or 4 and the block the 'pow' is underneath is random) and at predetermined points in the game you'll see them floating down the screen.