DC>VGA>HDTV transcoder question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Strider77

DC>VGA>HDTV transcoder question

Post by Strider77 »

I'm looking to hook up my DC to an HDTV and want to get progressive out of it via a VGA box. I know I need a transcoder for this.

I stumbled across this brand new for 60. Didn't know if any folks could tell me if I should go for it or have any tips on what to look for or be warry of.

http://www.grandtec.com/hiwire.htm

Also where is a good place to find the dc to vga cord?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

If your TV can take DVI, then you only need to buy an adapter, as DVI is usually compatible with VGA. If it only takes component, then search ebay for a "VGA to component" converter.

Jandaman.com has VGA cords usually, and for cheap.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

it only takes component and HDMI... this item I listed is a transcoder and I can get it for 59.99.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
D

Post by D »

VGA modes in Dreamcast games are cool, but....
Ferrari F355 does not support WIDE screen mode when the console switches to VGA mode. The option is greyed out.
WHICH SUCKS.
I'm still searching for my copy of Tokyo Xtreme racer 2 somewhere and hopefully in that version the wide screen option is still retained when in VGA mode.

Some games seem to suffer from slowdown and shocking effects when in VGA mode. Virtua Tennis 2
Other games like Sega Rally 2 seem to run reasonably well in VGA mode. I remembered alot of slowdown and framerate drops in Sega Rally 2 when in normal 15Khz mode, but in VGA mode the slowdown etc. seems less apparent. I'm sure this is just my imagination. I like to fantasize that it's because Sega Rally 2 was developed/tested in VGA mode and that they had to scale everything down to 15 Khz which they could've had problems with thus explaining the slowdown.
I have HDMI on my tv and I bought that philips dvd player with HDMI output and the picture quality is off da hook.
I have no experience with component, but I'm intrigued.

the vga cable for dreamcast I got off ebay.
So just check what's the cheapest option for you to where you live.
I got one with just vga out and a headphone jack out for sound.
I suggest you get one that can switch between vga and normal 15 Khz outputs like s-video. It seems that you can do some trickery with that, like force games to run in VGA mode whish don';t even support it (not sure though, you need to investigate)