RQ: Raiden III Help on 6th and Final Boss

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Baboo

RQ: Raiden III Help on 6th and Final Boss

Post by Baboo »

Hi guys,

Been playing Raiden III at the arcade for a few months now, and I don't have a PS2 so I can't see the superplay :( How do you kill the 6th boss in his second form without using a bomb? Yeah there was a thread on this but I couldn't find the solution.

Also the final Boss, 2nd form where there are 3 crystals on each side, can't figure how to get past that without bombs.[/b]
Mills

Re: RQ: Raiden III Help on 6th and Final Boss

Post by Mills »

Baboo wrote:Hi guys,

Been playing Raiden III at the arcade for a few months now, and I don't have a PS2 so I can't see the superplay :( How do you kill the 6th boss in his second form without using a bomb? Yeah there was a thread on this but I couldn't find the solution.

Also the final Boss, 2nd form where there are 3 crystals on each side, can't figure how to get past that without bombs.[/b]
Damn it dude, your reaching the final boss after a few months of play and you need our help. GET REAL DUDE AND KEEP PLAYING. if your luckyi you might clock the game by the end of the year. im stuggling just trying to reach the final stage. one thing i do know, the ship has a very small hit ratio so chances are the more severe forms of enemy attack waves probably has a ridiculous blindspot.
Goshi

Re: RQ: Raiden III Help on 6th and Final Boss

Post by Goshi »

Baboo wrote:Hi guys,

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...
1 : BE PRAYING
2 : BE PRAYING
3 : BE PRAYING
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

A more useful reply:

The sixth boss should be taken down quickly, both for scoring and survival purposes. The best option is the wide shot and the purple missiles (name...?).
The fastest way is bombing on the second form. Point-blank it and once it shoots the widening attack (the most difficult to dodge, the rest is all being in front of it and tapping), bomb and it should go down within 20 seconds (i.e. a x1.9).

The final boss must also be bombed. You should have the blue laser and bomb one of the two big sections appearing on its sides as soon as it appears, and move to the other (and bomb, again) one once the first one goes down. What's more important is to take them down quickly, the central section becomes quite easy. Will post more later.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Baboo

Post by Baboo »

Oh man, my first reply din go through...have to retype this =(

Anyway, wow I thought this thread was dead lol. Thanks Randorama, I figured how to kill the 6th boss without a bomb and using 1 bomb for the final boss. Here is my strat (for normal/arcade difficulty):

General Strategy for Non-Bosses

(1) I always choose widespread and R-missile for non-bosses. The key to surviving these stages without bombs is to destroy those pesky little helicopters before they hover at the bottom and shoot bullets from the side. R-missiles for pure damage - it does more dmg than M-missiles imo.

(2) A number of people complain that the plane in Raiden III moves too slowly. Actually the speed of the plane is to complement the intented strategy of this whole game - slow precise controlled movement of your plane. Just because u see a bullet shooting out, you don't have to move from one end of the screen to the other. Because most of the bullets are based on algorithms, they don't follow a linear predictable path. What I do is normally move my plane slowly and tap the movement botton when the bullet comes near. It takes a bit of practice but it's really a question of mindset.

(3) This is my own perference, but I usually position my plane at the middle of the screen as opposed to the bottom. One reason is that it allows me to maneuver the plane diagonally down to avoid bullets. This is especially so at the 4th stage just before the boss. Another is it allows me to move up and destroy selected enemies for a x1.9/2.0.

Will post my Boss strategies later.
DEL

!

Post by DEL »

I dropped by the Trocadero arcade last weekend & noticed that The Old Mills hasn't ALL'ed it yet..
Baboo

Post by Baboo »

Been busy lately, and the arcade i frequent recently cleared the high scores =( Here's my boss strategies:

Boss weapon choice
Stage 1 – 2 : Widespread / R-missiles
Stage 3 : Widespread / M-missiles
Stage 4 – 7 : Blue laser / R-missiles

Stage 1:
First destroy the helicopter on the left. Move to the top of the 1st Tank Boss, remain stationary. When the 1st form is destroyed, the 2nd helicopter will pop out from the right. If you stay in that same spot, the bullet it shoots out will ALWAYS miss you. x1.9 and x2.0 for each of the bosses.
Score: 1.60M to 1.62M

Stage 3:
This is the best boss to milk; basically follow the double play videos. You have to be nimble for the 1st form because chances are you might not be in time to destroy 1 or 2 mines, but fortunately there is a huge margin for error. In it's 3rd form, point blank at the mid section. Observe when the 2 mini guns start to open from the mid. Tap upwards to avoid the bullets. Repeat. You should destroy the boss before it starts the big wave for a x1.9.
Score: 5.7M to 6.0M

Stage 5:
Boss is straight forward. Just make sure you get all 60 bonuses; release bombs if necessary. Score: 10.6M to 10.9M

Stage 6:
I recommend using the bomb on the 1st form. Otherwise follow what the replays do, move to the mid, observe when the indestructible balls appear and move down, but this is quite difficult to accomplish. As for the 2nd form, stick near the (not at the extreme) left side of the column. The boss will start its widening attack and move slightly to the right. Position your plane such that you avoid the bullets on the left side and end up on the very leftmost column and slightly above the bottom of the screen. Then comes the challenge: tap down to the bottom to induce the plane to shoot the big red bullets there. Quickly tap a bit to the right to get past all the bullets. Takes a lot of practice, and mostly I rely on my instincts for positioning my plane, but very satisfying if you manage the feat.
Score: 13.5M to 13.9M

Final Stage:
1st form – tap to the left. On arcade difficulty, you should be able to destroy the left section (x1.9) before the mid sections shoots the 5 big balls. Tap to the right, focus on the big balls; as long as you keep moving, the bullets from the right section can’t reach you. 2nd form is straight forward, tap left or right to avoid the 5 big balls. Then remain stationary so the bullets from the small crystals will miss you. (x1.7 – wondering if I should use a bomb to get x1.9?) 3rd form is where I release a bomb for a x1.9.
Score: 17.0M to 17.4M
landshark

Post by landshark »

The stage 6 point-blank on the 1st form is not hard to do once you get used to it. If you are not full powered with spread/R-missile, you will likely have to bomb shortly after you perform the second down-tap to dodge the spread because a 2nd type of attack will begin which is a bit harder to point-blank dodge (is it possible?).
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.