GD: Ibara (PCB/Arcade mode PS2 only)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

yep,

Bond superplay scores T(29m?)+, player KMT
Dyne superplay scores R(27m?)+, player Y.S.333
Harder mode superplay (havnt watched it yet)
Black Label superplay (199m+) by RAM

and of course remix CD and book. this one is in a compact double DVD type case, similar to Aces High Raiden DVD, as opposed to the Mushi DVD.

the Bond replay probably the most impressive, lots of little tricks & stuff, like letting off a hadou & then suiciding last life on the final boss, then amazingly gaining an extend just before the "continue" :shock:
absolute genius.. probably the best ive seen. The black label replay damn good too.
zakk

Post by zakk »

DC906270 wrote:yep,

the Bond replay probably the most impressive, lots of little tricks & stuff, like letting off a hadou & then suiciding last life on the final boss, then amazingly gaining an extend just before the "continue" :shock:
absolute genius.. probably the best ive seen. The black label replay damn good too.

I don't really think that was a 'trick' so much as good fortune on his part. That death was accidential, lucky for him he was close enough to the extend.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

Zakk wrote:I don't really think that was a 'trick'
you don't? well, it was fking ace anyway :)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

zakk wrote:I don't really think that was a 'trick' so much as good fortune on his part. That death was accidential, lucky for him he was close enough to the extend.
Are you sure? ^_-
I haven't seen the replay in question yet (I haven't even bought the DVD set yet) but it sounds similar to a trick Gain players use in Garegga, to pick up a whole bomb for free.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Icarus wrote:
zakk wrote:I don't really think that was a 'trick' so much as good fortune on his part. That death was accidential, lucky for him he was close enough to the extend.
Are you sure? ^_-
I haven't seen the replay in question yet (I haven't even bought the DVD set yet) but it sounds similar to a trick Gain players use in Garegga, to pick up a whole bomb for free.
Hmm yeah. It certainly works out that way, but the way he dies is just weird. It's like there's a bunch of perfectly uitable bullets to run into, yet he dies by moving into the hadou stream. Looking at it from the 'intentional' perspective, he took a weirdly risky way of doing it.

BTW, for those wondering, the point gain from Theresa is nearly 8M.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

btw KMT also uses the "no lives trick" on Kasmui to get another full bomb.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

The biggest surprise to me on the DVD was the Stage 2 boss milking. Talk about a quick and dirty way to increase your score. I'll summarize the method for those who haven't seen it yet or won't be buying it. I already tested it out and it works like a charm.

Head into the fight with at least at least two extra lives and one burner. If you have extra lives, just plow through the first two forms not worrying about dying and trying to take them out ASAP. You want to die enough to get 1 hadou back.

On form 3, destroy the two side pods that give you burners and grab them so that you have 3 burners now. Destroy only one of the side pods that give you Napalms but don't grab it. Now you can go ahead and take out the main body without worrying about any of the other pods. Think of this boss as a race to get to the final form so that you have a longer time to milk points.

Now just hover directly above the boss and take out the main body while dodging the purple shots from below. As soon as you activate the final form, trigger your hadou above the very top of the boss. DON'T release the hadou from now until the end of the level, just keep holding down B. You'll hear the hadou activation flash take out a small part of the boss located at the extreme top center which seems to nullify its attacks. Now just hover dead center in front of the boss and hold down shot until the boss times out without destroying any wheels. This would be a good time to activate autofire if you've got it. The 3 burners and your rapid shot will create massive "tick" damage points. As the boss takes off down the bottom of the screen (after quite a while), take out all six wheels and then just let it go.

Remind anyone of another Raizing boss?
Last edited by Rastan78 on Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Holy Sisters of Mercy! O_O;;
Yes, sounds like Garegga's Earth Crisis. ^_-
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Another big surprise was that no hadous are used in stage 4. Instead, small bomb fragments are used to hit just about everything possible. Pretty much the opposite of the old Archer replay. It's much more similar to the way the cloud stage is played in Garegga, taking out all the little parts of the floating platforms with bombs.

Rank seems to be intentionally pushed through the roof on stage 6. Max autofire, stocking full lives and bombs, holding down shot all the time, grabbing extra small powerups, even nosing up to the top of the screen and holding shot before the boss comes out just to get rank a little higher.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Rastan78 wrote:Another big surprise was that no hadous are used in stage 4. Instead, small bomb fragments are used to hit just about everything possible. Pretty much the opposite of the old Archer replay. It's much more similar to the way the cloud stage is played in Garegga, taking out all the little parts of the floating platforms with bombs.
I knew there was going to be a new solution here since milking the third boss requires getting rid of every last hadou. The dvd sounds like it has a ton of new information.

And the stage 2 thing is perfect for me since I always arrive at the boss with 2 lives.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

zakk wrote:
Icarus wrote:
Are you sure? ^_-
Hmm yeah. It certainly works out that way, but the way he dies is just weird. It's like there's a bunch of perfectly uitable bullets to run into, yet he dies by moving into the hadou stream. Looking at it from the 'intentional' perspective, he took a weirdly risky way of doing it.
It's definitely intentional. Watch it again, on the side it mentions this is a special suicide technique. In the outtakes section they explain it in greater detail.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

cigsthecat wrote: And the stage 2 thing is perfect for me since I always arrive at the boss with 2 lives.
Only downside is there's about 3 minutes or so of just following the boss' little movements while holding down shot. Not gonna be the most exciting thing to do on repeated plays. The resulting rank increase is not too bad, but you'll probably want to suicide once or twice early in stage 3 after doing this.
Gakidou

Post by Gakidou »

How come, in all replays I've seen of Ibara, the player always uses a hadou to kill the large aircraft in the middle of the sixth stage? Is there something to be gained from this or is it just because it's too hard?

Also, I guess this isn't really the thread in which to talk about arcade->PS2 differences, but have any of you PS2 players noticed that there is almost always a train missing in the beginning of the third stage in the game? In all superplays there is always a train in between the plateaus with the robots in the beginning of the stage, but I only recall having seen it two times or so in the three-four months I've been playing. Is there some way to trigger the appearence of the first train or is it a bug?
Last edited by Gakidou on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Gakidou wrote:How come, in all replays I've seen of Ibara, the player always uses a hadou to kill the large aircraft in the middle of the sixth stage? Is there something to be gained from this or is it just because it's too hard?
The large aircraft is a pain in the backside.
Plus killing it quickly generates more drones for points and Medals.
Gakidou wrote:Also, I guess this isn't really the thread in which to talk about arcade->PS2 differences, but have any of you PS2 players noticed that there is almost always a train missing in the beginning of the second stage in the game? In all superplays there is always a train in between the plateaus with the robots in the beginning of the stage, but I only recall having seen it two times or so in the three-four months I've been playing. Is there some way to trigger the appearence of the first train or is it a bug?
There should be ten trains in total in the stage - four before the midboss, six after. Everytime I've played it, all 10 have appeared in their designated positions, so I'm not sure where you're missing one from.
Gakidou

Post by Gakidou »

Icarus wrote:There should be ten trains in total in the stage - four before the midboss, six after. Everytime I've played it, all 10 have appeared in their designated positions, so I'm not sure where you're missing one from.
It's the first train on the stage, the one that appears 15 seconds into the ACR replay. It just isn't there. Must be a bug on my disc then (how that can even be possible I don't know). Kinda sucks since that means less bomb fragments for milking Kasumi.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Gakidou wrote:It's the first train on the stage, the one that appears 15 seconds into the ACR replay. It just isn't there. Must be a bug on my disc then (how that can even be possible I don't know). Kinda sucks since that means less bomb fragments for milking Kasumi.
The first one that appears on the right side? Thats always there for me, I don't know why you'd be missing that train in your runs. I don't think it is rank dependent, so it has to be a bug of some description.
Tvspelsfreak.

Post by Tvspelsfreak. »

Speaking of bugs. Has anyone experienced game crashes at the clock on stage 6 or the inability to make midi's last form stop shooting?
jpj

Post by jpj »

i'm getting into this game, but i've yet to successfully do the stage 2 boss trick. where am i most likely going wrong?

also, what are the requirements for the 1-up on stage 4 midboss?

safe.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Tvspelsfreak. wrote:Speaking of bugs. Has anyone experienced game crashes at the clock on stage 6 or the inability to make midi's last form stop shooting?
I've seen none of those happen before, and I've been playing it for ages.
How are you running the game? from the disc or via HDloader?
jpj wrote:i'm getting into this game, but i've yet to successfully do the stage 2 boss trick. where am i most likely going wrong?
Timing and placing the hadou is the key to milking Midi. You should be placed correctly when you destroy the third form of the boss, and then wait at least a second to time the attack perfectly.

However, I wouldn't advise you do it until you are comfortable with all of her patterns, and the rest of the game too. Spending 5 minutes getting 1.5mil each time is a bit pointless if the resulting rank increases and the rest of the game's stages are more difficult as a result.
jpj wrote:also, what are the requirements for the 1-up on stage 4 midboss?
Destroy the wings before you destroy the body. So you need to destroy both the arms (the ones that sling around firing aimed spreads), the two spiked discs, the piece the discs were attached to, the wing tips and the turrets on the tips.

Easier done if you are carrying all Machine Guns, as anything else has a tendency to damage/destroy the body and the nose of the midboss.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Icarus wrote:
jpj wrote:i'm getting into this game, but i've yet to successfully do the stage 2 boss trick. where am i most likely going wrong?
Timing and placing the hadou is the key to milking Midi. You should be placed correctly when you destroy the third form of the boss, and then wait at least a second to time the attack perfectly.

However, I wouldn't advise you do it until you are comfortable with all of her patterns, and the rest of the game too. Spending 5 minutes getting 1.5mil each time is a bit pointless if the resulting rank increases and the rest of the game's stages are more difficult as a result.
I think it's still worth learning how to "neuter" Midi now since you can also use it as a safe way to destroy the boss and save your hado until stage 3. Once you get the positioning and timing down, it becomes more reliable than dodging the tricky third form. Also, you can just milk for 100k or 500k and then blow the wheels off at any given time instead of completely timing out the boss. Just keep experimenting and you'll find the right timing.

This was probably already discussed way back in the thread somewhere, but does anyone know exactly what causes the Stage 3 boss drones to stop spawning medals? It seems like if you already have the hadou off the top of the screen by the time Kasumi starts firing a batch of drones, you'll get the medals as they hit the vapor trail, but fire the hadou at the wrong time and you get nada. Does anyone know for sure what the right conditions are?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Rastan78 wrote:This was probably already discussed way back in the thread somewhere, but does anyone know exactly what causes the Stage 3 boss drones to stop spawning medals? It seems like if you already have the hadou off the top of the screen by the time Kasumi starts firing a batch of drones, you'll get the medals as they hit the vapor trail, but fire the hadou at the wrong time and you get nada. Does anyone know for sure what the right conditions are?
Not entirely sure. I've noticed that if the drones are on-screen for a short period of time - about a second or so - then they won't drop items. Also the drones don't drop items if they are spewed off the top of the screen either (which adds to their "onscreen time" as stuff is invincible past a certain vertical height). The best time I've found to fire a hadou is when Kasumi is quite low down the screen, as the drones won't be fired as high up the screen, ensuring that they are destroyed immediately.

However, that means you have to go at it with Shot until the time is right. ^_-
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Icarus wrote:
jpj wrote:also, what are the requirements for the 1-up on stage 4 midboss?
Destroy the wings before you destroy the body. So you need to destroy both the arms (the ones that sling around firing aimed spreads), the two spiked discs, the piece the discs were attached to, the wing tips and the turrets on the tips.
The only requirement for the 1-up is destroying both turrets (1 on each far left and right wingtip) that fire the rotating spirals of blue bullets before destroying the main body.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Icarus wrote:The best time I've found to fire a hadou is when Kasumi is quite low down the screen, as the drones won't be fired as high up the screen, ensuring that they are destroyed immediately.
That seems to be a good enough strategy. The other trick is not prematurely destroying the pods that fire the drones. When doing your suicides, it can be helpful to do it when you have a hado trail on the screen. Suicides don't do shrapnel damage as long as the trail is still there.
jpj

Post by jpj »

cheers dudes.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Heh once i've got playing garrega-style shmups :) i've gotten that one and it's cool :D it plays exactly like battle garrega but it's harder and funnier :D i'm enjoying it but i'm stuck at stage 2 now heh
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Mystery solved! We were both completely off base about the Kasumi thing. It has nothing to do with Kasumi's position or the timing of how long the drones are on screen. It has only to do with a simple rule of thumb that I believe applies to the entire game:

Similar to the way there is an invisible borderline at the top of the screen where zako cannot be destroyed, there is an invisible line at the right and left edge of the screen where, when destroyed they will not produce items.

When milking Kasumi, you have to make sure your hadou is fired just inside the screens edge, leaving a gap between the vapor trail and the edge of the screen.

For a quick and dirty illustration of this rule.

1. Start a new game
2. Suicide on the first enemy to get one full bomb.
3. Go all the way to the extreme bottom left corner and launch the hadou.
4. Let the small flying enemies collide w/ the vapor trail and watch what happens.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Geh, that sucks.
What the hell are you playing at, Cave? Putting deadzones into a Raizing game. >_<
stratos

Post by stratos »

I have a question about 2nd boss milking, for those who watched the Lunatic DVD: I can't find the moment and the positioning to activate the Hadou stand-by aura flash to neutralize the Earth Crisis MKII (:D) attacks... I don't have the DVD, so I can't find answers by myself, and at the moment I can't afford a copy: coul'd you help me?

Ah, I'd like to know also what type of Bond and Dyne are used in the DVD

Thanks
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

stratos wrote:I have a question about 2nd boss milking, for those who watched the Lunatic DVD: I can't find the moment and the positioning to activate the Hadou stand-by aura flash to neutralize the Earth Crisis MKII (:D) attacks... I don't have the DVD, so I can't find answers by myself, and at the moment I can't afford a copy: coul'd you help me?
Stratos! Long time no speak.

You've probably noticed that each form of Midi "fades" in when the previous one has been destroyed. The best way to do the trick is to hover over the main body of the third form as you attack, so you are best positioned for it. As soon as you destroy the third form, count one second from the "explosion" then activate the hadou near the back of the last form to destroy the two small turrets at the back, neutralising the attacks. You have a half-second leeway to do this, and you'll get the timing with practice.
stratos wrote:Ah, I'd like to know also what type of Bond and Dyne are used in the DVD
Bond (Type C) and Dyne (Type A).
stratos

Post by stratos »

Icarus wrote:Stratos! Long time no speak
Yes! I haven't been playing shooters in these months due to work and an interest in a new musical instrument: the electric bass (I've always been a guitarist). How are you?

Thanks for the tip, I have to try this, I managed to do it only one time... but, after Midi strategical withdrawal, where he uses the stand-byed hadou? I think he probablyshot it against the small flying enemies in the beginning of stage 3...
Icarus wrote:Bond (Type C) and Dyne (Type A).

Surprising, I always thought D types were the best choices... have to say that however the world record for Ibara is a bit higher than the records on the DVD, so the WRman probably used other ships... who knows... Let's discuss about this, I'v always loved ship strategical discussion :)