www.shmup-dev.com Launched!!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Matt McFarland

www.shmup-dev.com Launched!!

Post by Matt McFarland »

Hey all,

I was told by a friend over at indiegamer to post a thread here about my new forum site that is all revolved around the creation of shmups. I would really like you all to come stop by and check it out. You also can upload your latest creation or WIP to the site as well (10 meg limit)

The site URL is www.shmup-dev.com and it's only just 3 days old!! Already we'be had about 50 members and over 50,000 Hits with an average of 10 guests per hour (not including member visits)

I just feel that since a lot of the developers of shmups are scattered all over the net, that it would be great to have a place where they could all meet exclusivly. The site is a niche site really, and only revolves around the creation of shmups and the innovation and push through the modern shmup genre. Along with development, we also like to focus on the business and marketing of modern shmups and the shmups of the future.

Would be great to see you guys there!

Thank you,

Matt McFarland
www.shmup-dev.com Site Admin
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

Hey, great initiative! I'll join for sure :D
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
Matt McFarland

Post by Matt McFarland »

Today (and we stil have some time left) www.shmup-dev.com managed to get 100 new posts!! All in one day!! Wow!!! I am very excited to tell everyone this!!
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

That forum looks like a promising addition to the shmup community. Although your definition of shmup games is much broader than here. Good luck with the site (hopefully you will remain ad-free). I knew we wouldn't be the only shmup development forum on the net forever. :)
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Matt McFarland

Post by Matt McFarland »

Thunder Force wrote:That forum looks like a promising addition to the shmup community. Although your definition of shmup games is much broader than here.
Thank you for visiting!

Well I have narrowed shmup-dev down to games like:

1) StarFox (3D Shooter)
2) Space Invaders, Galaga, Galaxian, Alien Sky, Xeno Assault, Raiden, 1942 (Verticle Shooter)
3) R-Type, Absolute Blue, Gradius (Horizontal Shooters)
4) Top-down shooters (Robotron, Crimsonland)

Basically that's a lot more narrow then when we first started. Not sure when you visited last?
Matt McFarland

Post by Matt McFarland »

Thanks to everyone who has visited.

According to our forum stats (which seem to be more conservative then the webalizer stats) - We've had about 30,000 hits in 7 days, We've had nearly 500 unique posts in 7 days, and We've gained 100 members. The first week has been very good. I'm glad that people are joining up, because I really think that this site could help push the shmup genre forward into a whole new level.

My goal is to bring a positive spin to shmup's by putting everyone that likes to make them together. We'll talk business, we'll network with each other, we'll help each other out, and in return the market will have better shmups on the shelves. With better shmups on the shelves, portals that are more into arcade / action games can expect more sales and everyone has nothing but benefit coming out of this.

If anyone is trying to improve the inventory of the casual market it is me!! ;) (I know just about everyone here wants to do the same thing, right?)
gingerj

Post by gingerj »

If you can get some of the doujin (spell) guys over there it'll do the world of good.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Yes, it is very good site. This is great for people like me who want to get their name out.

-Pixel_Outlaw
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
mrMagenta

Post by mrMagenta »

Nice to see Edge-Online write about Shmup-Devs competition.. i'm sad that i didn't have time to join it. So far i've just played the winning game. I'm really impressed by it. Good work on the site.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

This link doesn't work what happened to it?
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
Matt McFarland

Post by Matt McFarland »

Hey!
http://www.shmup-dev.com appears to be working fine! (must have been a glitch)
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Still doesn't work for me my net is okay