Which Genesis games won't work on a Model 3??....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Which Genesis games won't work on a Model 3??....

Post by dave4shmups »

I got one response to this question on Gamefaqs:

"Time Killers
Virtua Racing
Gargoyles
Turrican
Ex Mutants

Also, the sega cd, 32x, game genie/shark, and the sega master system convertor don't work. There could be more games that don't work but I haven't discovered them yet. Also, even though some games work, at a title screen or when the points or bonus screens are being shown the screen hops up and down a little bit.
The elviento title screen does this and on some or all of the sonic games the bonus stage points add up screen does this. Also, there could be more but I can't think of any."

Is that a complete list, and is it true about the title screen on certain games "jumping" a bit?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
PC Engine Fan X!

The Sega Genesis 3 was licensed to Majesco from Sega...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yes, the Sega Genesis 3 was licensed to Majesco 3rd party licensee and is regarded as a "stripped down" Genesis console. It's been said that some Genesis 3 consoles couldn't output in stereo but only mono. Although on the plus side, it does have true RGB output and can be modded for S-Video output as well. It's mentioned on the www.gamesx.com site regarding the "Genesis 3 RGB Mod" section of that particular site.

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/genesis3.htm

One can't use the Sega Game Genie cheat device on a Genesis 3 as a black screen will appear if powered "on".

The Sega Genesis cart of Virtua Racing uses some custom chips to render it's polygonal racing engine and really needs a Genesis 1 or 2 version to run properly. The Genesis Virtua Racing cart debut at the unheard price of $99.99 USD when it first came out on the American video game market shelves.

According to the Genesis 3 instruction manual, the Sega Genesis games titles you mention are mentioned as not being compatible with it. So that info is refuted to be valid according to Sega & Majesco themselves.

The Mega Drive Jr. console was released in Japan back in early 2000 but the catch was that one had to buy the Japanese Mega Drive Jr. 100v A/C Adapter seperately. (This holds true with the Super Famicom console re-release as well during the same time period.)

Both the optional Sega's official Arcade Power Stick & the Sega Arcade Power Stick II joystick controllers work flawlessly on a Genesis 3 (and practically dwarf the the system quite easily). ^_~

There were two different Genesis game pads released with the Genesis 3 console: one larger (which resembles like that of the original Genesis D-pad controller) except endowed with built-in slo-mo & auto-fire capabilities & the 2nd redesigned smaller Genesis D-pad (that resembles a Saturn D-pad controller sort of) again endowed with built-in slo-mo & auto-fire features from the get go. Very cool features that weren't included with the original "plain vanilla" stock Genesis & Genesis 2 D-Pad controllers. I have both redesigned Genesis 3 D-pad controllers and prefer the cool and easy on the hands "smaller" Genesis 3 controller. Sega, also, offered this Genesis 3 controller seperately for use with simultaneously co-op two player games. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thanks for the info; I do know that the Model 3 has a cartridge slot wide enough for Mega Drive games-like the JVC X'EYE.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"