PSP Emulation help

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dpful

PSP Emulation help

Post by dpful »

I hope I'm not wasting post space :) but I can't help it, I'm just an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

Could someone please give me a current run down on what I've got to do to get a running PSP emulator for my upcoming trip at the end of the month. Mostly, I can't find this info-
1. How do you tell what firmware you've got (do you have to turn it on and look at a menu? I looked at some PSP boxes at the store and couldn't find anything)
2. What's the max firmware version that's reversable and how (I know there's some different methods)

The rest I think I can handle. I just havn't bought the PSP yet.

Also, should I be looking for a 1.5 version PSP, or a later version to downgrade? (is a later version PSP different or better in other ways?)
And last, are Japanese and U.S. PSP's different? (big question- there's some great packages on ebay but I think they are all japanese psp's)
PC Engine Fan X!

PCEFanX! to the rescue... Re: PSP Emulation help

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

dpful wrote:I hope I'm not wasting post space :) but I can't help it, I'm just an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

Could someone please give me a current run down on what I've got to do to get a running PSP emulator for my upcoming trip at the end of the month. Mostly, I can't find this info-
1. How do you tell what firmware you've got (do you have to turn it on and look at a menu? I looked at some PSP boxes at the store and couldn't find anything)
2. What's the max firmware version that's reversable and how (I know there's some different methods)

The rest I think I can handle. I just havn't bought the PSP yet.

Also, should I be looking for a 1.5 version PSP, or a later version to downgrade? (is a later version PSP different or better in other ways?)
And last, are Japanese and U.S. PSP's different? (big question- there's some great packages on ebay but I think they are all japanese psp's)
For dpful,

To save yourself a major headache hassle, I'd recommend buying a used PSP already loaded with firmware 1.5 (or a Japanese PSP with firmware 1.0 or 1.5). ^_~

Nah man, you're not wasting space here...came to the right topic headliner to ask..... ^_~

You would have to "break" open a minty fresh factory sealed PSP box and insert the PSP battery pack and "power" it up to actually see what firmware version Bios was installed at the time of manufacture.

If you see a PSP with firmware 2.6 or below, then it can be downgraded to version 1.5 in order to run homebrew & PSP emulation programs. That would require a PSP game by the name of Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. It has a hidden save exploit trick that allows one to run emulation or homebrew PSP games on it. Search the net and discover for yourself.

Actually, it's best to have two seperate PSP's, one that has firmware 1.50 and the other one with the latest firmware (so one may reap the benefits of the latest PSP OS and the opportunity to play the latest PSP UMD-based games since they'll require that the PSP's OS to updated to the latest revision anyways). ^_~

I'd recommend getting (at the minimum) a 1GB Sony or Sandisk Memory Stick Duo Pro card for your homebrew or PSP emulation needs. They're cheap these days -- at about $34.99USD on sale. Sony & Sandisk just came out with the 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo cards...more than adequate for emulation purposes. They'll set you back between $179.99-$199.99 at Gamestop, Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc. ^_~

Also, I'd recommend getting a higher capacity Sony brand PSP "Stamina" (which is the 'Golden' colored PSP battery design scheme) battery pack which holds a little more juice to run emulation & homebrew games. You'll find out the standard PSP battery pack won't last as long due to the PSP's CPU being overclocked to 333 mHz speed. Faster CPU speeds results in shorter PSP battery life...hence the need for a larger capacity PSP battery (which is a minor tradeoff but worth the additional expense alone). Both the standard & Stamina PSP battery pack are priced at the same price of $39.99 USD at your local Target, Best Buy, Toys-R-Us, etc. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
KyleRXZero

Post by KyleRXZero »

There just released this week a 2.71 downgrader. And it works without the use of Grand Theft Auto as well. I was able to help my bro downgrade his PSP from 2.71 to 1.5, so I can personally confirm it works. If you have a PSP that is 1.51/1.52/2.0/2.5/2.6 etc., you can just upgrade to 2.71, then downgrade to 1.5. You do however want to avoid anything above 2.71 such as 2.80.

But, here is the thing you have to be wary about. You must find out if the PSP has a TA-082 motherboard. You don't have to take your PSP apart or anything, you would have to look just inside it where the UMD goes in.

TA-082 Pic

If you have what is described in this picture, you cannot downgrade your PSP, you will brick it.

Due to the TA-082 motherboard issue, I would advise to either

1) purchase a used 1.5 PSP via anywhere as long as you're sure its 1.5
2) purchase a used 2.71 or below PSP, but do this in person so you make sure it is not a TA-082

Also possible you could get the seller to check this for you, but always better to do yourself.

As far as the difference between USA and JPN PSPs, I believe the only difference lies in the region locking of the UMD movies. PSP games are region free, buy you cannot play a JPN UMD movie on a USA PSP and vice versa.

And you most definately like PC Engine Fan X suggested get a larger mem stick. At least a 1gig, but I myself will be purchasing a 2gig for mine.

Hope this helps.