Shienryu STV - won't bloody load

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
barmskii

Shienryu STV - won't bloody load

Post by barmskii »

Hi All

I've got hold of a Shienryu Cart (Japanese as far as I know) for my STV motherboard (also Japanese).

When I plug it in and boot it up it says:

"Operation of this cartridge not avaialable with system assignments"

I figured there was something it didn't like in the settings so i played around with them but nothing I seem to do makes any difference.

Does anybody know what might be wrong here.

I did a memory test with the cart and all of the tests passed ok.

Cheers
Barm
dpful

Post by dpful »

Go to "system assignments" in the menu and make you are set to 2 player cabinet type, and the system is set to 'alone' (not multi)

Be sure to turn on the rapid fire while you're there
PC Engine Fan X!

Select "Vertical" screen orientation on main menu

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

On the main menu of the ST-V settings, select "Vertical" screen orientation for Shienryu ST-V cart (since it's a Tate'd ST-V game anyways).

It could be that your ST-V mobo is "currently" set up to recognize "Horizontal" screen-oriented ST-V game cartridges. ^_~

Hopefully, that should do the trick... ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
barmskii

Post by barmskii »

Thanks Guys

I've tried all of that and I still get the same message, it also says "Cartridge Error" at the boottom of the screen but I don't know whether that's related to the system assignments error or is seperate to it.

I had a cartridge error on one of my other carts but found that re-seating it fixed the problem. Unfortunately this one has those pesky security screws on it so I can't get it apart :evil:

I think this one may be fooked, so i'll have to send it back and try and get another :(

If anyone else has any other suggestions tho i'd love to hear them.

Chaeers all

Barm
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Are you sure that the ST-V cart is pushed in all the way into the cart slot so that the "Cartridge Error" message goes away? It may take several tries for the ST-V to properly read your Shienryu cart. It also helps that the ST-V cart slot tabs are present on both ends so that your ST-V may load it up without any hassle. One can get by with just one cart slot tab but that is really pushing it IMO. ^_~

Yes, some ST-V game carts use the dreaded security screws...would need a Gamebit screwdriver to open them up. Damn security screws...why not just use Philps slotted screws and have easier access to the internal EPROM embedded PCB that makes up the cartridge anyways.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I also get a cartridge error with my cart from time to time... recommend disassembling the cartridge and scrubbing both sides of the connector clean using a pencil eraser. Mine is still temperamental but at least I can get it to work within a few tries.
barmskii

Post by barmskii »

Thanks Guys

I finally got it to work, turns out it didn't like the coin settings. I fiddled about with them and it worked!

Weird because all my other STV games worked fine with the original settings :?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions

Barm