PS1 Controllers w/big D-Pads licensed by Sony??...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

PS1 Controllers w/big D-Pads licensed by Sony??...

Post by dave4shmups »

I am just looking for a PS1 controller that is licensed by Sony but that has a bigger D-Pad then the original PS1 controller. Ebay has a whole list of PS1 controllers, but the none of the new one's are licensed by Sony, AFIK:

http://video-games.search.ebay.com/PS1- ... catZQ2d100
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Well, the Street Fighter controllers are Sony-endorsed and have a bigger d-pad. But they're not of especially great quality (then again, neither are Sony's official controllers).
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

How about the Saturn pads for PS2? They're a bit hard to find and pricey when you do find them though.

Or you could get somebody to make one for you...

I take it your joystick experience didn't go so well? Have you tried a good joystick yet? There's a bit of a learning curve that could be discouraging at first if you grew up using pads...

edit: I forgot to mention you could also keep an eye out for the NeoGeo CD-style pad for PS2, it's a microswitched thumbstick which is quite a delicious experience also. Looks like this:
Unfortunately, also hard to find and relatively pricey.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

iatneH wrote:How about the Saturn pads for PS2? They're a bit hard to find and pricey when you do find them though.

Or you could get somebody to make one for you...

I take it your joystick experience didn't go so well? Have you tried a good joystick yet? There's a bit of a learning curve that could be discouraging at first if you grew up using pads...

edit: I forgot to mention you could also keep an eye out for the NeoGeo CD-style pad for PS2, it's a microswitched thumbstick which is quite a delicious experience also. Looks like this:
Unfortunately, also hard to find and relatively pricey.
Wow, I didn't know about that one; thanks! There is a Game Force near me that sells the official PS1 joysticks for $15, so I could try those. The first system we ever owned, an Atari 2600, had joysticks, but I've never done as well with joysticks as I have with D-Pads. Take Pitfall for example; I had a much harder time making jumps over the crocodiles with the 2600 joystick then I even did with Sony's skimpy-arse PS2 D-Pad on Activision Anthology.

But, perhaps I should give a Sony PS1 joystick a try.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"