Mr. Driller Great (and the series in general)

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
raiden

Post by raiden »

yesterday I got Mr. Driller PC. It has some issues running on Windows XP and it doesn´t support a joypad out of the box, but with Compatibility Mode for 98/ME and the JoyToKey tool, I´m able to play it smoothly. It´s basically the same as the Dreamcast version, but with no noticeable loading times and MUCH better sound. The sound is actually better than any other version I´ve played, especially better than the PCB (I´m playing on high quality sound setting). Things that bug me are black borders on the side of the screen, and controls are clearly worse than any console version, but still better than the DS version.
A very nice touch is the fact you don´t need the CD in drive to play it. While the new Namco collection for PC uses the hardware-busting Starforce copy protection, this old little gem doesn´t have any copy protection at all. With high quality sound, it requires 150mb HD space. I bought the game from Amazon for about €3, and I´m getting a perfect performance on a slow 1,2ghz CPU rig.

Zoo Keeper (DS) is the best incarnation of this kind of puzzle game, and I´m saying this as a former rabid fan of Bejeweled 1&2 for Windows. I still don´t really like the sprites from Zoo Keeper, but the thing that sets it apart is the fact you can launch several combos simultaneously by using the stylus. This way, the game easily plays 3 times faster than any Bejeweled, where you have to wait for a combo to finish before you can start another one.
Neon

Post by Neon »

It has some issues running on Windows XP and it doesn´t support a joypad out of the box, but with Compatibility Mode for 98/ME and the JoyToKey tool, I´m able to play it smoothly.
That's pretty odd. I was able to get it running without compatibility mode. Screen is a little smaller than fullscreen for me as well.
raiden

Post by raiden »

well, I wasn´t really precise. The game behaves strangely regarding input. Whenever I press an undefined button on the joypad, the game hangs. Calling up the task manager exits the game, but scores will not get saved this way. So the compatibility mode probably didn´t do anything, I just tried it to see whether it changes something, but at the same time I configured a few more buttons in JoyToKey and made sure not to hit any undefinded buttons any more.

btw. there are cases where old games have 2 versions, one that works under Windows XP and one that doesn´t. Examples would be Gothic 2 and Crazy Taxi 1.
D

Post by D »

Just won G on ebay.
Anybody know where I can dl a manual and an arcade flyer.
Searched everywhere, nada
BrianC

Re: Mr. Driller Great (and the series in general)

Post by BrianC »

dave4shmups wrote:
Neon wrote: Based on this game's greatness I've decided to get a Gamecube for Drill Land and gameboy player for Ace...will a Japanese GC work with a US gameboy player?
Thanks for the review Neon; I have a modded PS1 and wasn't even aware of this title! :D

Accessories are always region-free, so I'm sure that a Japanese GC would work with a US Game Boy Player-however, I would just go with an American Game Cube, and then get a Freeloader disc to play imports.
Actually, the US Game Boy Player will work on a Japanese console, but you need the Japanese GBP disc to get it to work. If I remember correctly, the GBP discs do not work with Freeloader. As far as I know, the GBP is region free, but the disc that comes with it isn't.

The Freeloader is good for many imports, but Mr. Driller Drill Land won't save (though it does play) and other games have problems with it as well. There are no compatibility problems when the GCN is modded with a region switch.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

D wrote:Just won G on ebay.
Anybody know where I can dl a manual and an arcade flyer.
Searched everywhere, nada
You can occasionally find just the artwork on YAJ. I scored the large POP for Driller G (to bad they fold these things when shipping the PCB).
undamned

Post by undamned »

Dave_K. wrote:I scored the large POP for Driller G (to bad they fold these things when shipping the PCB).
Word, that's why I passed it up :(
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Neon

Post by Neon »

Few more things:

Drill Spirits has an endless mode. It's unlocked only when you beat 2000M (which I've only done with items, sadly). I'll still be picking up the JP version cause I need money from selling the US copy and the voice acting fucking sucks. Hopefully there'll be cute goofiness like in Ace with the import version.

PSX port of G is annoying in 2000M and endless, lowered resolution effecting visibility, same in multiplayer as I originally mentioned though not as bad. It also effects gameplay as pieces/air capsules that go off the board, stay off the board. I'm glad I've got the PCB.

Time trials in G aren't saved like in Driller 1. Darius Gaiden ish route selection, if your time doesn't meet goal it might not be a problem since you can make it up in the next course. I guess it's good they didn't just do the same old thing, though saving would be really nice for non-extended sessions.

Does PSX Driller 1 have any goofy resolution issues etc? Might pick it up for play on ps2/general curiousity.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Simple question. I picked up Mr. Driller for US PS1 today (complete and in pretty nice shape, I might add :) ). So is this what people are calling Driller 1 and so is it something different from (and perhaps inferior to) Driller G?
Neon

Post by Neon »

It's Driller 1 yeah. I actually prefer it to G I think. But both have different survival and time trial modes, totally worth owning for those reasons. The farthest I've gotten so far in 1's 10k (hardest) survival mode is 13k something...can anyone beat it? Let's compete
Neon

Post by Neon »

Or not, you cowardly fucks. I've only been playing it (the survival mode) 2 days, someone can beat it I'm sure?

edited my first post, it was a little goofy, you know how I get when I get new things
PaCrappa

Post by PaCrappa »

Man I'm injured and when I'm not at school I sit around with both of my lower legs in a bigass bucket of icewater. My console games are in my office and I ice in the living room. I'm pretty much limited to TV, movies and Gameboys for the next week or two.

Pa
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Sorry, Neon. I haven't spent any real time with this one yet, so I'm not up for competition. I have enjoyed the few minutes I've spent with it so far, though.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I love mr. Driller. I am currently playing a lot of the Mr. Driller: Drill Spirts (PAL version with the extra modes etc) on the DS. Always been a big fan of the game ever since the first one which I played on the Dreamcast oh so many years ago when it was first released here in the UK, brillant!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'm playing the Japanese DC version but I have no idea which option your playing Neon.

I have never 1 lifed 1000 metres, done it on 2 lives a few times. I guess i'm not in your league anyway lol.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Sorry to hear that Pa, get well soon

ritchie: Survival mode off the main menu, then go to 10 thousand meters (hardest)

I'm playing it on PC and the modes in the main game are 2500 and 5000...I guess PC and Japanese DC aren't the same...I'll get it for DC and jps2 eventually and compare.

I did 1 life 5000 meters but that was last school year, I can't even come close currently.
benj

Post by benj »

First time I played Mr. Driller 1 since I got G.

More people should play this, so we can get a highscore board going.
Neon wrote:I did 1 life 5000 meters but that was last school year, I can't even come close currently.
The PC version measures the depth in feet, not in meters.
Neon

Post by Neon »

ah, you're right about that benj. And you've beaten my best by 145 feet. Bastard!

How would I go about taking screenshots of Driller 1 PC?
benj

Post by benj »

To take a screenshot just hit "print" on your keyboard, then run Paint and paste it in.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Fook,

Even 5000ft is like way above my league. On the Dreamcast version anything around 700 metres+ is stupid. There is like 2 air packets per 100 metres and you have to hit freefall speeds :lol:
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Generiname

Post by Generiname »

Yeah mr driller is pretty sweet. I've had the psx version on that NamCollection for the ps2 for a while but my woman, being the considerate bird she is got me the last copy of Mr Driller Drill Spirits on sale for $20AU recently and I got badly addicted to it to the point where she'd say things like "I wish I hadn't got you that fu****g game now" I've cleared most of the goals so I go a bit easier on it now but yeah, great game/concept.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

I've messed with the PC Mr. Driller somewhat recently, it's addicting for how simple it is, definitely something I can see myself playing for a long time. As for how well I do, let's just say I've a long way to go to be any good, but I have managed to clear the 2500 feet part a few times.
Neon

Post by Neon »

thanks benj, I'll take a screen next time. Just managed 13400...lots of pure luck involved though.
benj

Post by benj »

Don't you just love it when you suffocate a split second before getting an air capsule? Susumu needs a bigger hitbox.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Oh thats it!

I have this game for the PC as well as the DC and I have the DS one but if it's a high score challange on the PC one you want then I shall politley except! :D (bet you did not see that one comming lol)

I'm not very good though but I do really like the game so I'll give it a shot.
benj

Post by benj »

Got incredibly lucky this run. The only thing that pisses me off is that I died in one of the easy sections with only two colours. I doubt I can replicate that anytime soon.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Great job ben, which folder do the SS's go in?

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Neon wrote:which folder do the SS's go in?
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about (it's late, at this time of night I never know what I'm seeing), the screenshots aren't in a folder, but rather on a clipboard. Open Paint and hit "paste" and the whole screen should appear there. Save it as a file and from there you can do what you please with it.
benj

Post by benj »

Yep, it's like BM said. It's a feature of Windows, not of the game itself.
Neon

Post by Neon »

ah, thanks

14,680, didn't bother to screen as it looks like it's only us two and you're winning :P