Strikers on PSX

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
kjs77

Strikers on PSX

Post by kjs77 »

I have Strikers for Playstation (playing it on PS2) and wanted to know if anyone else is having problems with it dropping frames at beginning of levels and other various parts? Was talking to Greg about this the other day and think it has something to do with the PS hardware and 2D graphics versus Saturn.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Strikers 1945 1 correct? Aka Strikers 1945 NTSC-J.

If this is correct then what you say is true, this game on PS does have slowdown, moreso than it's Saturn counterpart.
If anything get this if you do not have a Saturn otherwise MAME does it well enough, that or get a Saturn and this game.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
kjs77

Post by kjs77 »

My friend told me that the PS version I have is actually Strikers II. I already have the first one for Saturn and am defintely considering picking up the second. Much better gaming experince without the slowdowns.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

I have it. It's strikers 2. No frame drops whatsoever. I don't see slowdown either. Use it on PS2 and 1.

Dunno, man. 'Shouldn't matter but is your disk all scratched up?
PC Engine Fan X!

Could Tate mode in USA PSX Strikers 1945 be unlocked?...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Psikyo brought out the original Japanese PSX version of Strikers 1945 II...looks much better "front instruction cover-wise" than the latter released cheaper Success Corp. released Superlite 1500 series version of Strikers 1945 II. And yes, it does have Tate mode besides the usual Yoko mode as well. ^_~

I paid 5,800 yen for this original PSX version of Strikers 1945 II and there's a page touting a cool all-leather bomber jacket with Strikers 1945 logo on the back. Very cool indeed. ^_~
--- Could Tate mode in USA version of PSX Strikers 1945 be unlocked? ---

I'm surprised that Agetech would do a USA PSX port of Strikers 1945 II and re-label it simply as "Strikers 1945". The Tate mode option, supposedly, is still intact but is not selectable on the main menu screen (like the original version or the Superlite versions have it selectable)...would have to take some serious Gameshark coding to see if this option could be revived for the USA PSX version of Strikers 1945.

This new Strikers 1945 Gameshark code discovery (if it were possible to implement) would be major good news just like the Gameshark codes found to correct the USA PSX Raiden Project's game controls to their proper format for use in Tate mode. That right there, was the legendary shmup-related Gameshark find of the century! ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Neon

Post by Neon »

Nah you don't want the SS port of 2, horrible slowdown and worse graphics. It's more expensive too. Just get the jpsx version.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

If everyone else hasn't said it already:

Strikers 1 (Saturn is better)
Strikers 2 (PSX is better)

Or you could just get that ps2 set that has both games and is probably arcade perfect.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

CMoon wrote:If everyone else hasn't said it already:

Or you could just get that ps2 set that has both games and is probably arcade perfect.
PS2 compilation (worst of the three)
X - P - B
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Yeah, Turrican is right. Skip the PS2 compilation if possible and get:

Strikers I on Saturn
Strikers II on Jap PS1 (US doesn't have tate)

The compilation doesn't save high-scores or settings and has goofy default settings. Definitely to be avoided, if possible.
BIL

Strikers 1945 I & II NTSCJ PS2: Gameplay Intact?

Post by BIL »

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, and one of the blacklisted ones no less, but I've been poring over the existing Strikers topics to no avail.

How does the NTSCJ PS2 Strikers collection play? From what I've gathered, it's got TATE (good) and audiovisual issues (bad)... but I've not found any comments on the gameplay. Slowdown, laggy controls, load times? Or do the games themselves perform well underneath the aesthetic scuffs?

As advised, I've got PS1 SII (NTSCJ) and will have Saturn SI, shortly. I'm very happy with what I've seen of them, but I was just wondering if the PS2 version's audiovisual flaws are worth putting up with for closer-to-arcade perfect gameplay (if it's screwed up in that regard, needless to say I'd stick to the 32-bit ports and MAME). edit: or pick up some PCBs in the future.
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

why is Part 1 on saturn better ? I own that version but want to know why it's better than psx
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

One thing that's really annoying on the PS2 compilation is that the continue button is the same as the firing button, so you'll most always continue after you die your last life - because you have that button pushed!
Domino

Post by Domino »

Just buy the PCBs. It's not like it'll cost you an arm and a leg.

None of the home ports are worth it IMO.
captpain

Post by captpain »

Are there any benefits to playing this on PSX over MAME? I can play it on a tated display with my arcade stick with MAME already... is there any reason to pick up a PSX copy?
Domino

Post by Domino »

captpain wrote:Are there any benefits to playing this on PSX over MAME? I can play it on a tated display with my arcade stick with MAME already... is there any reason to pick up a PSX copy?
None.

PSX port still has a lot of frame cuts and slowdown on the later stages.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Are there any benefits to playing this on PSX over MAME? I can play it on a tated display with my arcade stick with MAME already... is there any reason to pick up a PSX copy?
Have you got a low-res monitor with your mame setup
Just buy the PCBs. It's not like it'll cost you an arm and a leg.

None of the home ports are worth it IMO.
PSX seems fine to me aside from slightly worse graphics at points but I've only cleared the first loop

port - $20, pcb - $100
Domino

Post by Domino »

Neon wrote:PSX seems fine to me aside from slightly worse graphics at points but I've only cleared the first loop

port - $20, pcb - $100
Stage seven has a good amount of slowdown in it. It's pretty annoying to me.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The Strikers 1945 II PCB with the weird riser board, I've seen that particular board sold for a paltry $65.00 USD. Yes, I do own it as well. Makes me wonder if it's a proto S-II PCB or if it was just a repaired PCB from the get-go. Hmmm... ^_~

At the very least, with the PCB version of S-II, you don't have to wait for the loading times as it is lighting quick & instantaneous (like you do on the SS/PSX ports of the same name).

I like how the original Psikyo version of S-II has the cool FMV gallery of all the fightercraft. The Agetech release of Strikers 1945 axed that nifty bonus along with the tate option.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~