RQ: DoDonpachi Stage 1 Chain

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
MattR

RQ: DoDonpachi Stage 1 Chain

Post by MattR »

Hi,

I'm having trouble chaining the 3rd, 4th and 5th bees on stage 1. I can build two chains of about 70 hits each with the break so I think around 140-150 on a good run if I can solve this problem.

Could someone make a reply using Mame?

Cheers,
Matt
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

What ship type you using?

For C-Type, what you do is after collecting the 2nd bee, quicky laser over to the left until you kill the item/powerup carrier, and then go back to a shot and slowly destroy the helicopers coming out from the upper right of the screen as you make your way over to the far left of the screen (being carefull not to take out the single line of turrets at the top). Laser & collect the 3rd bee, and then start slowly destroy the line of turrets with the outer edge of your C-Type ship's shot as you move all the way right. If you time it right, by the time you get to the last turret you can laser the 4th bee and also reviel the 5th bee far above with the same laser (sometimes I don't, but thats the proper timing if you do). Continue to hold down laser collecting he 4th bee, and drag it to the left over the star carrier (deystroying it) and then hit about 2 tanks behind/left of it and switch back to shot to quickly destroy the tanks heading off the screen on the left. Then laser the big spamming tank dragging your laser to the right edge of it until it explodes along with the 1 or 2 turrets to the right of it. Switch to shot to keep the chain going collect the 5th bee while keeping 2 or 3 of the turrets alive above it. After collecting the 5th bee, continue to take out the remaining turrets above moving left as quickly as possible so you can take out the turrets on the left with the left edge of your shot and lasering the 6th bee on the far left.

I'm sure there are other slight variations to this, and to be honest, depends completely on how the powerup item pops out of the item carrier (it basically can shoot off at any random angle and velocity). The power up item can break your chain, so if you can't get it immediately after destroying it, avoid the power up until you are back using shot with your chain indicator in the green.

It took me a long time to get consistant on level 1, but it teaches you everything about the anal timing with A-Shot, how to be exact with your shots, and how to ues the Laser correctly.

If I get time on Saturday, I'll make an INP of the above method, but not sure where to host the file.
Last edited by Dave_K. on Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

I could email you an inp of a 177 hit in mame32 0.96 if you give me your email Matt.

Unfortunately, I don't bother with the bees :oops: , so it's probably not what your looking for.

mame32 0.96 here:
http://tomspeirs.com/MAMEDownloads/
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Apart from the odd bee which helps, I find it much easier to keep a chain going by ignoring the bees and concentrating on the timing of enemy killing.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Cers

Post by Cers »

Here :wink:

I've played only to the midboss (chain 187), and collected the bees.
Ship: Type A/Laser
DoDonPachi (International)

http://rapidshare.de/files/29909257/for_MattR.zip

Played with mame32 0.99 from http://tomspeirs.com/MAMEDownloads/ , thanks to freddiebamboo for that link.
MattR

Post by MattR »

Perfect, thanks everyone for your help. With Dave's tips, Cers replay and a few yen I think can get this.

Will keep you posted!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Ok here is my reply of the described C-Type ship path:
190 hit up to mid boss
58 hit after mid boss
106 hit end boss
3.6M total for stage 1
http://rapidshare.de/files/30029505/ddo ... k.zip.html

Wolfmame099 here:
http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/wolfmameplus-099-vc.exe
Gopher's Ambition

Post by Gopher's Ambition »

Is there any way to get the 191st and 62nd hits? The beepreying writer describes it as something to do with the timing of the pickup of the floating P, but he hasn't seen done it himself.

I think I saw both once in a replay, but the movie was lost during a reformat X(
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Gopher's Ambition wrote:Is there any way to get the 191st and 62nd hits? The beepreying writer describes it as something to do with the timing of the pickup of the floating P, but he hasn't seen done it himself.

I think I saw both once in a replay, but the movie was lost during a reformat X(
The Beepreying guide quotes SGL claiming 192 hits possible if you destroy the first red tank and collect the P icon "correctly" (I assume refering to the first P icon). Timing the last P icon before the midboss does not give you any extra hits. I've never seen more than 191 hits in the first chain in any replays. I can't get more than 190 with my path (see replay above), but do think it has something to do with getting your laser on that first red tank almost before it even comes on the screen.

As for the 62 for the second chain, you have to kill the midboss as fast as possible and chain the extra star carriers all the way to the end.