RQ: Raiden Fighters Jet Medal System

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
FatCobra

RQ: Raiden Fighters Jet Medal System

Post by FatCobra »

First, off, why do the airbrone medals fly away when I have slave ships? They even so far and taunt me while they stay slightly out of reach while I chase after the little buggers. Also, what triggers their increase in point value? Is it how close my ship or slaves are without actually touching them?

What triggers the fairy? And the Milcus?

Also, which is the best ship to use as far as survival and scoring is concerned? My best score was with the Raiden Mk II (the red one).
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
IlMrm

Re: GD: Raiden Fighters Jet Medal System

Post by IlMrm »

FatCobra wrote:First, off, why do the airbrone medals fly away when I have slave ships? They even so far and taunt me while they stay slightly out of reach while I chase after the little buggers. Also, what triggers their increase in point value? Is it how close my ship or slaves are without actually touching them?

What triggers the fairy? And the Milcus?

Also, which is the best ship to use as far as survival and scoring is concerned? My best score was with the Raiden Mk II (the red one).
The reason it's flying away from you it's because that allows you to lead it into other medals, thus building it into a bigger medal, and eventually, to the 2 million+ points medal.

So the challenge is to built up the medals and not get it until it becomes the 2 million+ one.

IIRC Alluro posted a video on medal chaining.

To get the Fairies and Micluses to appear, you have to perform certain tasks like hover over certain spots in a level, or blowing the turret off a medium size tank, but not destroying it.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Survival: many Japanese players recommend the Miclus, but it's not for me.
Scoring: World records were achieved with Judge Spear's Slave. Some enjoy the challenge of pushing for high scores in less-able ships (or less-broken ships, depending on who you ask).

Medals running away from you: worst with the forward-V slave formation (have 2 slaves, pick up a third Slave icon with either 2 or 6 bombs in stock). The medals don't really run away from the player, they are just more attracted to the player's slaves. :)
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

This may sound stupid, but how do I play as a slave ship? Does this work on Raiden Fighters Jet as well?

Also, why the Judge Spear? That thing moves way too fast for me!
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

FatCobra wrote:This may sound stupid, but how do I play as a slave ship? Does this work on Raiden Fighters Jet as well?

Also, why the Judge Spear? That thing moves way too fast for me!
Hold Bomb at the title screen and press and hold Start. While holding Bomb and Start, enter your name with the stick/pad and Shot. When you get to the ship select, you should be holding Bomb and Start still. Hover over the ship you want Slaveified, and press Shot while still holding down the other two buttons.

And the Judge Spear is considered the best ship to Slave as its speed allows you to dart around the screen quickly for chaining. I prefer the Ixion's Slave in RFJ though (slightly slower and more controllable), while the Judge Spear's Slave is tops in RF1 and 2.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

You only need to hold Bomb when pressing Start the first time :)
I never hold it during name entry and ship selection.