GD: Gradius IV Fukkatsu

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Kiken

GD: Gradius IV Fukkatsu

Post by Kiken »

I searched and found an RQ thread for GIV, but not a GD.

So here it is.

Now with Gradius II behind me.. for the time being anyway, I figured that I would finally dig out my copy of Gradius III & IV and give GIV another go.

Aside from the stupidity that is the bubble stage (stage 3), I'm currently running into trouble with the stage 6 boss (I decided to spend time in Boss Rush Mode in order to get in practice against the bosses first and figured I'd then learn the stages). That obnoxious flying plant thing... I can get in several tags before this boss turns into bullet-hell... but I'm wondering if there's any sort of specific pattern or technique that can be applied to it.

After a couple of tries, I nailed down effective patterns for the 4th and 5th stage bosses... but the 6th boss kept changing up on me.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to handle this nuisance?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I haven't played it in a while, but generally speaking I usually keep my distance for the entire fight (I have a tendency to get in Gradius bosses' faces at every opportunity), giving me more time to react to the shots from his drones, whose behaviour seems erratic.

Definitely move back when you kill him, too. :wink:

This is no-brainer stuff, though. I'll play it later and see if I can remember anything more specific.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Decided to fire up Gradius 4 and run the game from loop 3 to where I had gotten up to at that point, it seems like the flowers in stage 2 that spawn those damned hell seeds suddenly flood the screen with spores, but by that time my shield is usually gone from those whipping weeds, leaving me basically a sitting duck. And destroying the seeds and enemies means suicide bullets aplenty (anyone ever play up till loop 3?).

As for that sixth stage boss, with his two options (copying the Vic Viper eh Gofer), if I'm powered up I stay back and nail him, effectively giving me more time to dodge those green laser beams both he and his two options shoot out, I find the trick is to not take out his options, as it seems to make the fight that much harder (the stage itself isn't too bad save for the random cells from the veins, and the four legged amoebas).

Final thoughts on loop 3, it can kiss my ass, there's no way in hell I can do any better on it than stage 2, I get overwhelmed too quickly, I'd hate to see the bubble stage by that loop or higher. Of course I'm no expert on Gradius 4, usually having to credit feed, but taking time off from that game to play Gaiden has effectively hurt my Gradius 4 play, I do better on Gradius 3 (some say Gradius 4 is supposed to be easier) on that same compilation pack.
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

This game is so poorly designed and ridiculously hard. You see, other than tviks, none of us here have passed loop 1 let alone loop 3... :cry:
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I did loop one, but aye, I've barely made a dent in the 2nd. It's honestly not as obtusely difficult as people tend to suggest, and the 1CC is a fairly unremarkable feat.

I might throw some practice in over the next few weeks and see if I can add something worthwhile to this thread. It's a shockingly underrated entry in the series and definitely deserves some discourse.
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

It is definitely not as difficult as GIII, but for whatever reason I just suck at this game.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Both games derive most of their difficulty from 'cheap' environmental hazards that take a lot of getting used to (i.e.: the ridiculous windmills in IV's high-speed level, and the weird stalks that don't retreat fast enough in the cell stage). Things would definitely be a lot easier to practice if IV had allowed access to 'stage select' from the ouset...

GV had the best idea - you could practice on a particular level as much as you wanted, but you couldn't play the next one until you did it properly in the main game.
Galaxius

Post by Galaxius »

The 6th boss in G4 is a tough one, and I have plenty of problems with him as well.

I did see an interesting video of a player quickly destroying the boss though. The player went straight up above shield in the power up meter, about 75% up the screen. The options were positioned so that they point-blanked the boss while the ship was in a relative safe spot.

I can't duplicate this trick though, and it is obviously very risky. I'll try to upload the video sometime soon, as seeing it would be much better than my garbled explanation.

BTW, Kiken, I enjoyed your GII PC-CD replay. It was nice to see the exclusive level in action.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Galaxius wrote:The 6th boss in G4 is a tough one, and I have plenty of problems with him as well.

I did see an interesting video of a player quickly destroying the boss though. The player went straight up above shield in the power up meter, about 75% up the screen. The options were positioned so that they point-blanked the boss while the ship was in a relative safe spot.

I can't duplicate this trick though, and it is obviously very risky. I'll try to upload the video sometime soon, as seeing it would be much better than my garbled explanation.

BTW, Kiken, I enjoyed your GII PC-CD replay. It was nice to see the exclusive level in action.
I'd love to see this video. I've never seen a G4 replay.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Seconded. An upload of that one would be greatly appreciated, Galaxius. :D
Galaxius

Post by Galaxius »

Sorry guys, it's only a short clip of the boss trick :cry: I'd like to see a G4 superplay as well.

Damn game is hard.

But I'll upload the clip tonight. :D

Edit- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QwvgZ0fxCY
Firehawke

Post by Firehawke »

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I have a couple useful tricks I might as well pass along-- for the most part these are insanely obvious, but you might've missed them.

Spread bomb is one of the most effective bosskillers in the game. Getting your option inside the boss shortens the fight a lot.

For the sixth boss, take out the top "option" but leave the bottom one alone lest he go into a much nastier pattern. Then, proceed to spread bomb him into the stone ages.. very carefully.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Heeeeeey, it's not a dead thread, just a slow burner. :lol:

Cheers for the vid, Galaxius!

I'm a bit snowed under with university work at the moment, and have otherwise mostly been playing the Salamander Deluxe Pack, but serious GIV play and subsequent tip-sharing are still very much on the to-do list. :P
landshark

Post by landshark »

Galaxius wrote:Sorry guys, it's only a short clip of the boss trick :cry: I'd like to see a G4 superplay as well.

Damn game is hard.

But I'll upload the clip tonight. :D

Edit- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QwvgZ0fxCY
Whoa. Where'd you get that clip? Over a million points?
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Galaxius

Post by Galaxius »

Landshark, I got that clip from a Japanese Gradius FTP awhile back. It's long since dead:(

But now I remember, I do have one other short G4 clip...showing a cool way to avoid the option eater at the far left of the screen. I'll upload it soon.

Speaking of G4 tactics, I have a few.

During the boss rush when you fight Beserk Core (the core with little pods above and below and shoots the huge lasers), destroy one of the pods fully. Then destroy one core in the other pod. Now go behind Beserk Core to the upper or lower right corner of the screen. You will only have to dodge one, slow laser and wait for the time out. I find this method easier than trying to destoy this sucker.

And on the Gun Wall, you can find a nifty safe spot if you go to the top of the screen, and as close as possible to the core. The moving walls, lasers, and duckers won't be able to hit you. TIME OUT. Credit my son for finding this great safe spot.

EDIT-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLQ7wi-9XhE

Another I had-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AZgbvCMq8Y
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

"This game is so poorly designed and ridiculously hard. You see, other than tviks, none of us here have passed loop 1 let alone loop 3..."

Damn right. MSZ is by far the best of us though... I have problems even getting past 1-3 (a goddamn bubble will spell the end of my run I'd say 90% of the time.) 1-4 and 1-5 seem tame by comparison, but from what I've heard of 1-6 it doesn't stay that way! Anyway tviks did give us some wisdom in the high scores thread... like that normal shots are better then the lasers (I still use the t.laser though) and the like.