Please help, I f--ked up my RGB tv!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
D

Please help, I f--ked up my RGB tv!

Post by D »

Opened it up and turned on this and that: "hm, I wonder what this'll do!"
Now my tv does not able to receive RGB from my Saturn and my Playstation anymore, but my Dreamcast still displays in perfect RGB.
Also for both my PS and Saturn when playing games and more than 50% of the screen is light colored, my display goes into rolling out of sync mode.
Really annoying
I also tried Saturn Bomberman and chose the wide screen which is displayed in hi-re, but still no RGB.
I think I must've turned on some kind of rgb input signal strength knob.
I have nobody to blame, but me.
So to all you geezers out there, handle the tv gently.
The thing is you put your face in front of the tv and with you hand on the pcb, that's so fucking dangerous, use a mirror (I don't have one :x )
Anyone if you can help out, thank you if not take it as a warning.
I can however still play ps games in rgb via Bleem on my DC, but Bleem checks the dc=PAL, ok 50 Hz :evil:
Really ironic that this is happening to me, being the rgb/60 hz purist that I am.
I'll tell ya, it's terrible
Soldato J

Post by Soldato J »

Be careful man, can't you light up like a fucking roman candle if you touch the wrong thing inside a TV?
ASK

Post by ASK »

Soldato J wrote:Be careful man, can't you light up like a fucking roman candle if you touch the wrong thing inside a TV?
Complete myth† fabricated by TV Repair shops to keep themselves in business. Seriously, go start touching stuff in the back of your TV‡

† Complete myth is a complete myth. Touching stuff in the back of your TV has a high chance of lighting you up like a fucking roman candle. Please drink responsibly. ‡ Poster advises that you do not heed his advice and indemnifies himself from all legal obligations related to your actions as a result of this post.
D

Post by D »

thanks for the help
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The rolling picture might mean you've messed with the vertical hold.

Idea: Look at the back of your TV's case and find the exact make and model. Then search for the service manual online. Hopefully you can download it as a pdf. It should tell you what all those things inside your telly do.
D

Post by D »

Well, the vertical hold is fine, I think, I tried that in the 1st place.
It only happens when a large portion of the screen is white.
It rolls, but the instant The screen is filled with more dark colors the rolling stops.

I just did a funny little experiment. I hooked up pin 16 from my Dreamcast scart to my tv while my Saturn was connected to the tv.
Somehow my Saturn doesn't provide a high enough voltage for pin 16 I guess (i have to volt-meter it when I get the chance).
Anyway I now have it setup that if I turn my dreamcast on it feeds my tv the pin 16 signal and turns the picture into crisp RGB. It's really funny to see the difference. RGB rulez everything is crisp, when I turn the DC off I get the video signal, bleeding all over the place. the problem is that this has not fixed anything. And I also think that my PS always was in RGB despite what I mentioned previously, I just checked and turning my DC on does nothing :) It was always in RGB.
For instance take the game Ridge racer revolution:
When riding in an all clear sky like this:
my screens rolls.
But when for instance driving in a tunnel:
The picture is fine.
And before I forget the picture also alot of the times is little morphed (usually at the top, but sometimes in the middle of the screen!
So the RGB problemo is fixed sorta, but the bright picture = screen rolling problem remains.
And again I'd like to point out that my DC does behaves 100%
This should be like a final "hardware test" question. Who answers this one is the ultimate console RGB SCART wizard.
I'll investigating and keeping you posted.
BTW I did just mod my tv with an exlusive stereo tulip out. before I used the headphones jack, but that's kinda jacked giving me mono sometimes, very annoying, no more.
To all you modders out there: mod on!