Darius Gaiden

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Not sure which table you want to pop this in. Played on Darius Gaiden (JPN normal ver, not JPN Extra) with autofire assistance, in MAME.

Icarus - 3,609,780 - ABDGKPZ' - MAME [AUTO ON]

Working on the scoring route at the moment. Just need to refine my strategies for Fatty Glutton, and everything within Zones P and Z. And yeah, I got killed by that spiky thing dropping from the ceiling. Oops. -_-;;

EDIT: Sorry, that's Zone Z' (Z Dash) not Zone Z. ^_-
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Took a small detour this time.

Icarus - 6,477,330 - ABDGLQV (ALL) - MAME [AUTO ON]

Image Image

Not confident about Z' at the moment (Great Thing scares me), so I took a detour to V and picked up a quick and dirty ALL for my trouble. Taking on the stage shouldn't be hard, but I have to learn Risk Storage's patterns before I can make some headway.

Yeah, quite a low end-of-game bonus there. -_-;;

Not sure whether to skip Zone K (avoiding Fatty Glutton) or skipping Zone P (avoiding Crusty Hammer). Will experiment to see which is the best option (and which will give me the better scoring route).

EDIT: Just broke my previous 5mil Zone V ALL with this score, and took a slightly altered route this time. It seems a little lower scoring for me though, so I'll have to experiment with the routes a bit more.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Icarus wrote:Not sure which table you want to pop this in.
I put it in the autofire table for now, but I may just combine the tables.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Icarus wrote:Not confident about Z' at the moment (Great Thing scares me)
You might've seen it already, but there's actually a video on YouTube of someone beating Great Thing (without bombing). I actually found it kind of dull to watch, because the thing takes FOREVER to kill, and keeps on throwing out the same few attacks...not that this takes anything away from the accomplishment, of course.

The same guy also uploaded a battle with Storm Causer, which I found more entertaining, if nothing else.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Its the end of an era for you, Rando my friend. ^_-

Icarus - 10,594,030 - ABDGLQV (ALL) - MAME [AUTO ON]

Image Image

No Miss, one bomb used, three of the six Captains captured. Missing about 1.4mil+ in points, as I don't destroy any of Deadly Crescent's fins (speedkill for now), and destroyed Risk Storage too quickly, leaving five of the ten scales untouched. Maybe a bit more from random milking as well.

As usual, the run is replay verified.

The little break is over, back to playing Ibara now. ^_-

@BulletMagnet:
Yeah, I'm aware of the two clips on YouTube. Its not Great Thing thats the main problem, its the two bosses before it. For now I'm going to concentrate on refining my Zone V run and try for 11mil+. Zone Z' can come once I figure out some safe way past Fatty Glutton and Crusty Hammer.

And by the way, I have a better Storm Causer clip in my archives by the same player, who kills the boss in under 5 seconds. ^_-

@Zach:
Its up to you if you want to consolidate both tables. Obviously I'd prefer if you did, as I'd like the satisfaction of knocking Rando off the top of a table for once. ^_-
Last edited by Icarus on Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

And by the way, I have a better Storm Causer clip in my archives by the same player, who kills the boss in under 5 seconds. ^_-
are you 100% sure that its the same player?
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Plasmo wrote:
are you 100% sure that its the same player?
Dunno, maybe. Quality of the clip looks about the same. It was part of a pack of Darius Gaiden replays I picked up off Hameko.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

yeah and that pack is uploaded to superplay. i was just asking because i could edit the players name then for great justice :wink:
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Plasmo wrote:yeah and that pack is uploaded to superplay. i was just asking because i could edit the players name then for great justice :wink:
Like I said, both the Hameko pack and the two that are on YouTube look like they've been done by the same player (or players). I was wondering why the Hameko pack was missing a couple of bosses (Great Thing wasn't part of the boss pack), but it looks like they might have released them not long after the resource went down.

Go for it. Better to have a name to refer the clips with than [UNKNOWN] ^_-

BTW, Zach, scroll up. ^_-
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Since Icarus did make the 10m on this game, I thought I'd try to make it too :D
So after one play on the boring route...

Smraedis - 7,870,670 - ABDHLQV (ALL) - Autofire used
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

No Miss, No Bomb, three of six Captains captured.

Icarus - 11,042,500 - ABDGLQV (ALL) - MAME [AUTO ON]

Image Image

This run is replay verified. I'll release the input and emulator this time:
--> EK-MAME+ 0.99
--> Darius Gaiden .inp file

Make sure you use the Japanese version of Darius Gaiden (dariusgj) to run the replay file, and that "Match Game Refresh Rate" is on in the Display Options menu. ^_-

An AVI version going up on Super Play later this week.
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Finally got the no miss on an alright run tonight :)
Smraedis - 8,797,090 - ABDGLQV (ALL) - Autofire used
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Smraedis - 9,364,870 - ABDGLQV (ALL) - Autofire used
No Miss, 1 Bomb, 2 Captains

Now to milk more out of the bosses :D
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Finally broke 10 million! ^_^

Smraedis - 10,565,940 - ABDGLQV (ALL) - Autofire used
No Miss, No Bomb, 2 Captains
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Smraedis wrote:Finally broke 10 million! ^_^

Smraedis - 10,565,940 - ABDGLQV (ALL) - Autofire used
No Miss, No Bomb, 2 Captains
Holy crap! Congratulations! ^_^
Its not as hard as it looks, is it? ^_-
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

thanks ^_^ it really was harder than I thought, but at least I know it is possible now. :)

Right, I'll try for 11 million tomorrow! ;)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Oho! Its a battle you want eh? Lets rock! \(^_^)/
Lets see how close to the 13mil WR we can get!

By the way, I'm experimenting with another altered route, and I think I might have hit jackpot. I'll have to practice this route a bit to get it down, as both the stages and the bosses are rock solid. This could take a while. ^_-
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

well I only want to make 11 millions ;) think it'd be harder to get more at the moment.
and oh? I've noticed that G makes more than H, and I guess going up on the next stages makes even more? :D
zinger

Post by zinger »

zinger - 7,096,020 - ABDGLQV (ALL) [Autofire On]

I missed one extend and was very close to 1LC the game. If I hadn't been so unfortunate I probably would have gotten ~9M. :(
Anyway, I had forgotten how good this game looks and how much there is to explore. I just love it!

EDIT: Remember to remove ZNG from the table!
SOUNDSHOCK
Galdur

Post by Galdur »

Galdur - 7,014,370 - ABDGLQV (ALL) - [Autofire]

I totally stole this route after seeing Icarus' video =o

Three captains captured and one unfortunate death.
benj

Post by benj »

benj - 8,018,090 - ABDHLQV (ALL) - training wheels ON

My performance was absolutely horrible throughout the first four stages (incl. losing my shield at the first boss and panic bombing at Neon Light Illusion), and I missed the second extra life, but it's the first time I 1LC'd the game, so I'm kinda happy.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Damocles - 4,431,830 - ABDHLQV (All) - Auto on

Jeezus...I have totally been playing this game incorrectly. When I first found it I also found reports of rank and how to keep it low. As it turns out, I was totally off the mark. This path is a cakewalk fully powered. Strength through superior firepower, indeed. Now on to score...
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Damocles wrote:Jeezus...I have totally been playing this game incorrectly. When I first found it I also found reports of rank and how to keep it low. As it turns out, I was totally off the mark. This path is a cakewalk fully powered. Strength through superior firepower, indeed. Now on to score...
You are taking the easiest route ;) not powering up as fast as you can does help with the rank :D I'm sure with that..
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Smraedis wrote:
Damocles wrote:Jeezus...I have totally been playing this game incorrectly. When I first found it I also found reports of rank and how to keep it low. As it turns out, I was totally off the mark. This path is a cakewalk fully powered. Strength through superior firepower, indeed. Now on to score...
You are taking the easiest route ;) not powering up as fast as you can does help with the rank :D I'm sure with that..
Good to know. What's the hardest?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Damocles wrote:Good to know. What's the hardest?
The all up route to Zone Z'. Good luck. ^_-
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Icarus wrote:
Damocles wrote:Good to know. What's the hardest?
The all up route to Zone Z'. Good luck. ^_-
Jeezus...might as well call it the Fatty Glutton-Crusty Hammer show. At least I could read Great Thing. Those two.....damn. Great Thing still killed me though. *shrug*
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Damocles wrote:Jeezus...might as well call it the Fatty Glutton-Crusty Hammer show. At least I could read Great Thing. Those two.....damn. Great Thing still killed me though. *shrug*
Yup, the Zone Z' route is the hardest I've come across in the game. Its not the stages per se, but the bosses - those two in particular - that cause the most problems. I think Crusty Hammer is somewhat manageable, but Fatty Glutton has too many bomb-required attack patterns to handle, which eats into the potential score.

Thing is, the Zone Z' route is also the highest scoring, but only if you can milk Great Thing. ^_-
zinger

Post by zinger »

zinger - 10,781,800 - ABDGLQV (ALL) [Autofire On]

Meh, I hoped for a 11m+ score, must've captured less captains than usual. No miss, no bomb, obviously. Oh well, I'm moving on to G-Darius for now...
SOUNDSHOCK
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I tap like a hero (:P) and can sleep off the occasional aches, but is there a way to turn on the rapid autofire in the Taito Memories Joukan port? Or is that not what you chaps are using?

I've always deliberately stayed away from the high score threads, largely as I don't have a competetive bone in my body and have traditionally lacked pictorial evidence, but I might actually post some Darius Gaiden 1CC scores (nothing to put the frights up Icarus!) and get back into practicing soon, as I've left it alone for a while and I'm starting to see that these threads often turn out to be just as helpful as those in the strategy forum.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Bal-Sagoth wrote:...but I might actually post some Darius Gaiden 1CC scores (nothing to put the frights up Icarus!)
Aim for my score. Its not as difficult as you think. ^_-