XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Trowaay wrote:If I were to hook up my Playstation 2 up to this thing, would only the 480p games work on it, or would I be able to play all my games flawlessly?
480i is OK.
What's a safe place to purchese something like this?
NCSX (US)
Play-Asia (Hong Kong)

And finally, what kind of cables would I need to buy separately for this thing if I wanted to hook up my PS2 to it with component?
D-Terminal (ex.) or 21-pin RGB (SCART connector, but not Euro SCART pinout. Must be Japan standard pinout).
Trowaay

Post by Trowaay »

Thanks a bunch! Gonna order one now.
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

D-Terminal (ex.) or 21-pin RGB (SCART connector, but not Euro SCART pinout. Must be Japan standard pinout).
The smart thing to do here is to make your own JP to EU adapter. If you do this you don't have to get a new cable for every system you own. Just buy two SCART connectors, one female and one male. On the male side you solder things the JP way and on the female the EU way. I used regular TP cable with 8 wires, so I only kept the essential wires, and those are: R,G,B,Sync,Sync GND,Gnd,Audio Left, Audio Right.

The pin layout on japanese SCART can be found here:
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/rgb21pinj.htm

And the european here:
http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:scart_connector
jdmishima

Post by jdmishima »

I was wondering if someone could answer a quick question about the xrgb-3 for me here. I've tried on neo-geo.com, but I can't seem to get a response.

I finally broke down and bought a xrbg-3 this week, and everything works fine through the VGA port on my TV. However when I try to hook it up through the DVI port, I don't get a signal at all. I don't have a direct DVI port on the back of my TV so I have to run it through the HDMI input.

The TV I'm running it through is a Samsung DLP HLR5067W, and I was using this cable:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 0394359520

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

fubarduck, the grey text is almost impossible to shoot, but it reads "キャンセル 実行". Here are some clean shots:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonas.jense ... 6954759186
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

jdmishima wrote:I was wondering if someone could answer a quick question about the xrgb-3 for me here. I've tried on neo-geo.com, but I can't seem to get a response.

I finally broke down and bought a xrbg-3 this week, and everything works fine through the VGA port on my TV. However when I try to hook it up through the DVI port, I don't get a signal at all. I don't have a direct DVI port on the back of my TV so I have to run it through the HDMI input.

The TV I'm running it through is a Samsung DLP HLR5067W, and I was using this cable:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 0394359520

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you would need to set something up on the menu. I doubt digital and analog signals would be converted at the exact same time.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
fubarduck

Post by fubarduck »

neorichieb1971 wrote: Sounds like you would need to set something up on the menu. I doubt digital and analog signals would be converted at the exact same time.
Correct--the XRGB-3 cannot output through both the digital and the analog at the same time. You probably just have to change the output from the VGA to the DVI in the settings. Try messing around with some of the relevant translated settings.

and to InkVisitor, thanks! I can READ now =)

Here goes:

First picture
Guideline
Off / On

Second picture
PC Match
(Grey) Cancel the PC Match implementation

Third picture
NTSC Dot Lock
Standard / Manual

Fourth picture
NTSC AFC
Automatic / Manual

Fifth picture
Drawing method
Interlaced (fake scanlines) / Non-Interlaced

Sixth picture
D Terminal input #2 setting
Component / Seperated(?) / Composite

Seventh picture
RGB input setting
Component / Composite

Eighth picture
RGB input terminal
75 Ohms / 220 Ohms

Ninth picture
Power settings
Standby / Always On

Tenth picture
Y/C Seperation Setup
Automatic / Low-pass

Eleventh picture
Horizontal Sync Polarity
Passthrough / Inverted

Twelfth picture
Vertical Sync Polarity
Passthrough / Inverted

Thirteenth picture
Screen Display Mode
Automatic / XGA / SXGA / UXGA

Fourteenth picture
Passthrough input setting
Automatic / Analog / Digital

Fifteenth picture
Current Screen Status
1024 x 768 Dots
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

Thanks for providing with the translations fubarduck :)

I have a new problem with the XRGB. I have my XRGB hooked up with DVI between computer and monitor. And it seems to shut of the DVI out when I change resolutions. Anyone else have this problem ?
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

I compiled a document with the entire menusystem indexed and translated.

It's available in pdf here:
http://www.filelodge.com/files/room36/1 ... system.pdf

And as images here:
http://www.filelodge.com/files/room36/1 ... .page1.png
http://www.filelodge.com/files/room36/1 ... .page2.png
fubarduck

Post by fubarduck »

Inkvisitor wrote:I compiled a document with the entire menusystem indexed and translated.
Good work, we make a great team. 8)

As for your XRGB-3 shutting off in DVI after changing resolutions, I think I saw some kind of comment addressing that on the Micomsoft Web site. Make sure "Passthrough input setting" (7.11) is set to DIGITAL. Also, if you're having problems with the unit in general, the site recommends that installing the newest firmware update already fixes a few of the bugs.

I think next, I should translate the Q&A on the Japanese site as it seems to address a lot of the common problems people have already reported. The page is available here:

http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3_qanda.htm

Hopefully I'll be able to get to it within the next few days.
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

I think next, I should translate the Q&A on the Japanese site as it seems to address a lot of the common problems people have already reported. The page is available here:
awesome :) I'm already waiting for it.

Thanks for the tip on DVI passthrough. I did try to set it to digital but my monitor just reports "No signal". However at one point I am certain I had it working ! I pretty much just shut it down and cut the power supply and now it refuses to work. I will try the firmware update soon and report back.
jdmishima

Post by jdmishima »

I've having pretty much the same problem with the DVI not working. The firmware update didn't seem to help my problem at all. I also tried the passthrough option and it didn't help either. I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with me having to run the DVI through my HDMI input on my TV

Also while running my Neo Geo AES(S-video mod) through the XRGB3 , I get some distortion at the top of the screen. I've tried messing with nearly every menu option and I can't get anything to affect it. Any recommendations?
fubarduck

Post by fubarduck »

jdmishima wrote:I've having pretty much the same problem with the DVI not working. The firmware update didn't seem to help my problem at all. I also tried the passthrough option and it didn't help either. I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with me having to run the DVI through my HDMI input on my TV

Also while running my Neo Geo AES(S-video mod) through the XRGB3 , I get some distortion at the top of the screen. I've tried messing with nearly every menu option and I can't get anything to affect it. Any recommendations?
Ahh, your HDMI input gave it away!

The XRGB-3 does NOT support HDCP through the DVI port . . . so if you own a newer TV with a DVI or HDMI port that requires HDCP, you will NOT get an image at all through DVI on your HDTV! Blame Hollywood.

You should still be able to use the VGA output with a VGA input on your HDTV or a VGA to Component transcoder.
jdmishima

Post by jdmishima »

Oh, that's disappointing but at least I know now. It was driving me crazy.

Any ideas about the distortion on the Neo?
danrio

Post by danrio »

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum.
i recently bought a XRGB-3. I'm currently using the following:

PS2 - D4 (Terminal)

GameCube - Component via D4 to component adapter, i just ordered the D4 cable.

Dreamcast - VGA analog RGB via HAIS box, not working.

Saturn - RGB 21 pin, my coworker is helping me rewire a Saturn Euro SCART, so haven't tried it yet.

Sharp Aquos 26" HDTV - HDMI and DVI-D inputs. I've tried the DVI input with a DVI-D cable and it works. I've tried the HDMI input with a HDMI to DVI-D adapter and it works. There is a setting on my display that toggles between a PC digital input signal and non-PC input signal. I asked my coworker who is knowledgable in this area, about an HDCP enabled HDTV and how it would affect a non-HDCP encoded signal from the XRGB-3 (btw i work R&D consumer electronics). An HDCP compliant display should show the XRGB-3 signal no problem. The HDCP compliancy matters when the output device is outputting an encoded signal and the HDTV is not HDCP, it may display a warning or nothing. We have a couple HDCP compliant HDTV's in the office and they work with non-HDCP media players connected via HDMI or DVI.

Thanks fubarduck for the menu translation, very helpful. i'll try toggling the D2 input to get the Dreamcast up. Mars Matrix and Border Down tonight, baby!
If can, can. If no can, no can.
danrio

Post by danrio »

I just double checked an HDMI connection on another HDTV to the XRGB-3, it doesn't work. Used an female HDMI to male DVI adapter and HDMI cable. Now i'm confused :(
If can, can. If no can, no can.
fubarduck

Post by fubarduck »

danrio wrote:The HDCP compliancy matters when the output device is outputting an encoded signal and the HDTV is not HDCP, it may display a warning or nothing. We have a couple HDCP compliant HDTV's in the office and they work with non-HDCP media players connected via HDMI or DVI.
Cool, thanks for the clarification on HDCP. As for JDMishima's problem, I suppose the HDTV may just not like a PC-like DVI input?

Thanks for your reply and input! I should finally be getting an XRGB-3 Mid-August so I'll be able to help more when I have the unit sitting right in front of me.

Edit: Just saw your last post, that's awfully strange! I suspect then that it has something to do with the HDTV not liking certain output modes or display resolutions (which is why you have to customize PowerStrip for specific HDTVs with an HTPC).
Trowaay

Post by Trowaay »

Well, I recieved my xrgb-3 in the mail today from NCSX. It's the first time I have ever owned something like this, and I am very happy that I made the purchase. The colors are amazing! Right now I have it hooked up to my LCD computer monitor a Viewsonic VP201B, and my PS2 is connected to the xrgb, with the supplied D-Terminal to component cable (I have a Sony D cable comming in the mail). A couple of questions though.

For some reason I cannot get the games image to cover the whole monitor, the monitor is a 20" with a max res of 1600x1200. Any ways to fix this?

Also, does anyone have any recommend settings so that I can get the most out of the picture? I'm not really sure how to begin tweaking somthing like this so any help would be appreciated, Thanks!
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

I know how to fix the DVI passthrough problem !

The problem only occurs when I change resolutions so here's what I did:

1. Powered down the XRGB.
2. Removed the AC/DC adapter. (this step is necessary)
3. Powered up the XRGB.

This solution is probably not acceptable, I tend to switch resolution when using my computer. I'm guessing Micomsoft have a fix for this in the latest firmware, did you find anything on that in the Q&A fubarduck ?
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

I have been in contact with Micomsoft. They are currently investigating the DVI passthrough problems. Though it can be related to the videodriver, when I upgraded to latest nvidia driver, passthrough stopped working.

There is also a new firmware available for download. There are some fixes to the linedoubler program and some extended menus for scan lines.
fubarduck

Post by fubarduck »

Thanks for the updates, Ink. I've got about another two weeks before I'll have my XRGB-3, but I haven't forgotten about this thread! I'll be around.
solidunit

Post by solidunit »

i own a Dell 2407WFP LCD monitor. It already has a component input (which i have my PS2 connected to).

Is there any advantage to hooking it up via D-Terminal cable -> XRGB3 -> DVI output ? or is it going to look the same or worse than the component input directly on the panel?
jiji

Post by jiji »

Let me see if I understand this correctly. The XRGB-3 has no native widescreen output, right? So to display a widescreen signal on a widescreen display, the image has to first be squished horizontally to 4:3 in the XRGB-3's "Normal" mode, then stretched again horizontally to 16:9 by the display's internal scaling?

It's irritating that the device doesn't have any output resolutions that are natively widescreen. Maybe this is something they can fix in firmware.
AAA

Post by AAA »

.j
Last edited by AAA on Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

I previously posted about problems with the DVI passthrough. No signal, black picture, kind of problems.

Now there is firmware aiming to solve these problems. The CPU version is 1.05 and it's available for download at micomsofts webpage http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-3.htm

I have tested the new firmware and can confirm that it works almost every time I switch resolution. And in case it doesn't, I can press the power button two times and get it working again. Previously I had to remove the psu every time. This is a big improvement and I am quite pleased :)

Also, I heard english OSD firmware might be released in the future.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

i noticed in the other thread on here about the xrgb2 that there is a V-Line option that adds fake interlaced lines. Is this an option that works with the xrgb3? i have a HDTV and would be interested in this feature. Does it work and how does it look?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I played around with my XRGB-3 today a bit (PS2 via D-Terminal).

In dark single colored areas I get some noise which looks like analogue interference noise.

The A/D setting under point 8 seems to adjust the intensity of this noise. Problem is simply that different input signals adjust to different A/D settings, e.g. the progressive YUV output from my PS2 works excellent with A/D 128 setting, whereas the interlaced input requires settings in the area of 200.

Has anybody any advice on this ? What's your experience and which A/D setting are you using ?

Thanks,
Fudoh
Inkvisitor

Post by Inkvisitor »

The wanderer sent me a question wondering if the XRGB-3 would automaticly generate a better picture in 1024x768 compared to the XRGB-2 in 640x480.

Here is my response to that:

On my LCD TV the picture gets sharper the higher resolution I have on the XRGB. It is not clear why this is so, as my TV has a native resolution of 1024x768. It actually has to downscale the picture, and somehow that makes it better.

I am not sure if the picture will automaticly look better just because you run it in 1024x768. The source signal is usually very low resolution anyway (usually 480i or 480p). So to be perfectly honest, connecting my consoles through SCART RGB renders "smoother" pictures in some games (God Of War is a good example). My TV does a fine job upscaling the picture, it might be blurrier though, you can call it a poor mans antialiasing.

There are other benefits to using the XRGB-3 though. In some games you can clearly see improvement using the added support for 480p. And I don't think there is a single TV with RGB SCART that supports progressive scan.
fubarduck

Post by fubarduck »

I got my XRGB-3 on Friday and have been doing plenty of testing in my spare time. I'm working on writing a useful guide and review on the unit. However, I must say now that overall I am very disappointed with it.

I'll link to the review/guide here when I'm done working on it.
PC Engine Fan X!

The "V-line" option on the XRGB-2 upscan convertor

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Strider77 wrote:i noticed in the other thread on here about the xrgb2 that there is a V-Line option that adds fake interlaced lines. Is this an option that works with the xrgb3? i have a HDTV and would be interested in this feature. Does it work and how does it look?
For Strider77,

Yes, the XRGB-2 has the "V-Line" option to add fake scan-lines to an analog based CRT PC monitor. (This is a cool feature if you are hooking up a Supergun setup to an PC SVGA monitor via the XRGB-2.)

The XRGB-2 has built-in "corrected sync lock-on" support for the Toaplan & Seibu Kaihatsu produced arcade PCBs such as Batsugun, Raiden II, and the Raiden Fighters series on the SP1 motherboard platform. If hooked up to a regular TV, a slow but steady rolling scroll will appear. (It's not the arcade PCBs fault but rather the sync rate of the TV monitors if they can't get a firm lock on the sync rate -- then screen scrolling will occur.

A true low-resolution RGB monitor will have the capability to lock on to the arcade PCB's sync rate output level, resulting in a stable picture. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~