RQ: U.N. Squadren Lv. 9 Boss

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Damocles

RQ: U.N. Squadren Lv. 9 Boss

Post by Damocles »

How the hell do you take this thing down? No matter what I do it always shoots me out of the sky. Not even the final boss is this friggin hard.
Gopher's Ambition

Post by Gopher's Ambition »

Which one is it? The turbo stealth fighter, or the roof tank?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

The big-ass extending...err......well....turret. Fires a half-dozen straight lasers at you while firing off homing missiles. Damn thing just sits there.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Try using the top special weapon (the more powerful) and normal shot simultaneously for added slowdown (and using an external autofire device will give even more). This is with the PCB...dunno if it is the same with emulation. In the case of Greg Gates, his top special in this stage is a screen clearing bunker [bullet] buster bomb, which helps tremendously. Still, this boss requires some very precise and twitch maneuvering!
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Yeah....external autofire makes this game extremely unfair........except for that damn boss. Seriously, twice. The first time I continued once and 2cc'd the damn game. Same deal the second time. Good game though.

By the way, what are the differences between the pilots? Other than the A-10 has a surface shot.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Nevermind, I found out by accident that there is a safe spot directly above the second laser. Positioning yourself in the center of the screen also puts you under the arc of the constant homing missiles.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Damn - I was just coming here to post about a safe spot.

And wow, you are right - autofire makes this game easy. First time I ever played it, first credit, I beat it. And I accidentally discovered a safe spot. There is another one just above the bottom laser half way between the boss and the edge of the screen.

I can imagine the game being a ton tougher without auto.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

landshark wrote:I can imagine the game being a ton tougher without auto.
It is, but not incredibly so. Really, the only part where auto plays a key role would be during boss battles. It's really nice to be able to take them down before certain patterns come out, but it's not too terribly bad. Lvl. 9 is still a bitch though...all those quasi-sub-bosses............then the final boss taking a ton of shots before it goes down...not fun. The final portion of the final boss is a trick too. Once again, those damn lasers....except this time the plane moves up and down with the shots...bastid.
Gopher's Ambition

Post by Gopher's Ambition »

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the SNES version. It seems they are very different.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Damocles wrote:By the way, what are the differences between the pilots? Other than the A-10 has a surface shot.
Different special weapons and/or payload. Different normal shot max upgrade level. Ship speed seems the same (?..memory is hazy).
Damocles wrote:Nevermind, I found out by accident that there is a safe spot directly above the second laser. Positioning yourself in the center of the screen also puts you under the arc of the constant homing missiles.
landshark wrote:And I accidentally discovered a safe spot. There is another one just above the bottom laser half way between the boss and the edge of the screen.
I suspected this, but never did find. Nice! I'll try them next time.