RQ: Guwange lives in stage 6: bug or tip?

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Buttman

RQ: Guwange lives in stage 6: bug or tip?

Post by Buttman »

I reached the last stage with only a half bar remaining and after a while it was completely full (the place with pots and spiders). Is there really 2 lives items and an energy item? Never encountered that before. So much extra lives seemed to be weird in a cave game so I thought it was a bug.
I was about to die just before this screenshot

So what happened?
duh?
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Not a bug at all, you found the "banquet" item which refills all of your life. At the beginning of the stretch with the spiders you'll find one of the small food items that refills a health bar if one is damaged (and if you have one, two or three full bars it'll give you a coin bonus). Towards the end, a spider will come down that has the banquet if you kill it. It's easy to miss, as it only steps out when you're almost past the area but if you hold your shikigami up there long enough you're bound to hit it.

Here's a visual:

It is rather generous for a Cave game, you're right about that. Later in the level when you get to the carriage convoy, each one of those has a health item as well. They're a lot harder to get however. Also when you get to the boss, the first form has a health item that will refill a full bars worth. Destroy the...thing on the top right side of the screen to get it. Can't recall off the top of my head what it is, but it looks like a lamp or something. It's a big purple flame. Destroy the one on the top left to get a bomb.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Moved to Strategy.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Buttman

Post by Buttman »

thanks! The 1cc seems possible now.
duh?
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

nice scan
NTSC-J wrote: It is rather generous for a Cave game, you're right about that.
indeed, i would have had a much harder time 1CCing it if it wasn't for that life refill
NTSC-J wrote: Later in the level when you get to the carriage convoy, each one of those has a health item as well. They're a lot harder to get however.
iirc the carriage gave bombs, not life refills. kill them without a bomb or they give nothing. maybe you had to kill them with your demon, i don't remember.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Nah they give life refills. You're right if you use the bomb you don't get shit, but shikigami or shot will get you the bonus items. They move so fast it can be hard to destroy them with the shikigami, so I usually use shot on this section. Very difficult area to get through without bombing, so be wary of the risk involved.
Winane

Post by Winane »

NTSC-J, what's the source of that scan? Is there any more on Guwange where that came from?
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

Winane wrote:NTSC-J, what's the source of that scan? Is there any more on Guwange where that came from?
I think is Gamest magazine.