Connecting PlayStation 2 (PS2) to CRT TV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Stone

Connecting PlayStation 2 (PS2) to CRT TV

Post by Stone »

Hi, this is my first post in this forum. I’ve recently bought a PS2 slim, and connected it to my HDTV. I quickly realized that the image quality was pretty bad, so I went and bought a CRT TV. I went ahead and connected the PS2 to the CRT, but nothing is showing up. I’ve been reading, and it seems like for some TVs you cannot just plug and play so easily. I bought a 26 in Sanyo MTS Stereo/SAP/DBX (I have no clue what any of that means). The TV takes AV. Thanks for reading, and I greatly appreciate whatever help you all give me.
NoAffinity

Re: Connecting PlayStation 2 (PS2) to CRT TV

Post by NoAffinity »

You're using ps1/2 av cables? (Yellow, red and white)

And have the input set correctly on the TV? If it has av inputs front and back, you will have soemthing like an av1 and av2 input. Need to make sure it's set to the correct one for what you are plugged into.
Stone

Post by Stone »

Yes, I am using the same cords that came with the PS2. I have the cords in the correct places, but when I turn the TV on, the only things that I can do via the buttons are change the volume, change the audio, change the visuals, search for channels, and do something where you can lock the TV on one channel. There are 69 channels in total, but it starts at channel 2 instead of 1. I’m beginning to think that the TV is made for only streaming cable. Another thing that I can change via buttons is weather the channels are via cable or VHF/UHF, although I don’t think that matters. Thank you.
Kez

Post by Kez »

No reason why they wouldn't work together. Some pictures may help. The cable you're using, where it's connected to and some pictures of the remote, or the buttons on the TV if not that.

CRTs have a TV tuner built in as basically their main function, where you would hook in a TV aerial or whatever and then access all the different channels. You don't want to be using that, so if you're getting a number on screen you're likely in the wrong mode. To view something on the composite input, you need to change away from the TV tuner mode to the AV modes. There is normally a button on the remote and on the TV that changes it. The button might say "INPUT", "VIDEO", "SOURCE", "SRC" or a little box with an arrow in it... like -[-> ]
Stone

Post by Stone »

Okay thanks. This TV doesn’t have a remote, and the buttons don’t have anything to do with changing the modes. Thanks for all the information, I learned a lot. I am using the exact same cords as I’ve used on other HDTVs, so I do know that the cords work. I’ll likely end up selling it and buying a smaller one with a remote. Again, I appreciate the time you put into helping me out.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

You can get a universal remote for less than $10 and sync it to your tv. It's almost definitely a situation where you need to change the source/input so that it's reading the jacks you're plugged into.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Also if you happen to have a Wii U, you can probably configure the controller's built-in remote to control that TV. Once you get it set to the right input you won't need to change it often.